Moorings on the Trent in Nottingham

clovey

Featured Posts

Are the moorings on the River Trent outside Nottingham County Hall just up stream of Trent Bridge for visitors or are they private?

They are public moorings ( land owned by Nottingham City or County Council) and nothing to do with C&RT . . . no time limits but you are likely to be in the company of some of the local Licence dodgers who are ignored by C&RT Enforcement in favour of easier targets like owners of more valuable boats which are potentially more profitable to seize and sell.

They are public moorings ( land owned by Nottingham City or County Council) and nothing to do with C&RT . . . no time limits but you are likely to be in the company of some of the local Licence dodgers who are ignored by C&RT Enforcement in favour of easier targets like owners of more valuable boats which are potentially more profitable to seize and sell.

As a society, there's nothing much gained by continually harassing those with nothing....in fact, it's quite risky....If you were a volunteer enforcement officer, would you mess with them?

As a society, there's nothing much gained by continually harassing those with nothing....

But a lot can be lost. Imagine when word gets out that they are being left alone to do what they want. Then next year another 50 people decide they don't need to license their boat because they will be left alone....

See where I'm going? The money to maintain the canals has to come from somewhere and sure as hell don't want to pay extra because more and more other people start failing to pay.

Edited by junior

But a lot can be lost. Imagine when word gets out that they are being left alone to do what they want. Then next year another 50 people decide they don't need to license their boat because they will be left alone....

See where I'm going? The money to maintain the canals has to come from somewhere and sure as hell don't want to pay extra because more and more other people start failing to pay.

I do see where you're going but I still don't see that much has changed over the decades. If it isn't broken why fix it with more rules and tangled webs? This is probably the wrong thread to discuss this. I was trying to make the point to Tony that there might be another reason why they aren't picking on local licence dodgers and are picking on him. I'm not convinced they are after his boat.

For so long as the landowner [the County Council we are told in this instance] permits the boats to moor to their property, and for so long as the boats there are not moored in the main navigational channel of the Trent, then calling them “licence dodgers” is inaccurately perjorative.

The boats in that situation do not require a licence or certificate for so long as they stay out of the main navigational channel, and one might as justifiably call car owners “licence dodgers” in respect of vehicles kept in private driveways and declared SORN.

This is said in ignorance of the individual circumstances of course, in that it is conceivable that some boats DO use the navigation without paid up registrations, sneaking back to ‘safety’ betimes. That would be licence dodging, whereas staying moored there would not.

It would be no business of CaRT Enforcement Officers to harass such boats for non-compulsory licences/certificates, any more than it is their business to go after you for not having a registered/licensed boat if staying put, out of the channel.

As a society, there's nothing much gained by continually harassing those with nothing....in fact, it's quite risky....If you were a volunteer enforcement officer, would you mess with them?

It isn't CRT owned. What have they got to harass them for?

But CRT officers do chase up boaters there, I've seen it happen.

Last time we moored there, which is some time ago now, there was some one putting a notice on a boat. They were not in as then BW uniform though.

I'm moored there at the moment and the boat behind me has a ticket on it. I've seen plenty of others too.

I wonder if you need explicit permission? Could it be that the land is owned by the county council, but the water is still C&RT owned?

I'm moored there at the moment and the boat behind me has a ticket on it. I've seen plenty of others too.

I wonder if you need explicit permission? Could it be that the land is owned by the county council, but the water is still C&RT owned?

You need the explicit permission of the landowner, not CaRT [except of course, where they are the landowner].

Nobody owns the water under English law, and the issue of ownership is in any event irrelevant to what powers CaRT can exercise as a statutory body. If they have authority granted to them to extract toll for use of that which is free under common law, then they can do so regardless of who owns the relevant property. Conversely, their ownership grants nothing likewise not specifically granted them by Parliament as a result of the ownership.

The Trent as a public navigable river yet with no crown ownership presumption this far from tidal influence, will be subject to the presumption of “ad medium filum” in favour of the riparian owner – in this case we are told, the County Council.

The position is accurately enough described in the otherwise flawed document produced by BW years ago, but long since quietly swept into obscurity – the EoG Informative –

http://www.cutweb.org.uk/bw/eogmooring.pdf

Where BW is navigational authority but does not own the bed of the river, a boater needs a

licence from BW to cruise the river. However, the boater does not need to pay BW a mooring fee

as well because BW does not own the river bed. As mentioned earlier common law rules of

riparian ownership usually apply (Note 1). Therefore, the owners of the properties on either side

of the river bank may ask a boater to pay them a charge for mooring over their land.”

• 1 year later...

So, we are moored here right now. Can we stay as long as we like or do we have to move after 14 days?

at some point you will have to move water, toilet, ticket on the boat. we stayed there a few days in september and enjoyed it but i really do not know the rules for visiting there so good luck

at some point you will have to move water, toilet, ticket on the boat. we stayed there a few days in september and enjoyed it but i really do not know the rules for visiting there so good luck

Actually we plan to move after the weekend but I was just wondering about the status of these moorings.

Having moored there a month or so ago I cant say I was particularly aware of licence dodgers, in fact I would suggest that would be a risky stance to adopt since, if the river does rise significantly (there are a lot of marks on the wall by Trent Bridge to show how high it does go) where are they going to go except onto CRT waters on Nottingham Canal? If they are not licenced are CRT obliged to admit them?

The boats there may have stayed there for a while (I don't know because I wasn't counting) but there aren't any boards giving time limits for staying.

This is a very appropriate time for this old topic to be resurrected.

To clarify the situation re. mooring outside County Hall in Nottingham, it is as follows : ~

1) Not C&RT land, and neither is it C&RT waters , because it is not within the main navigable channel of the river referred to in the1971 (and 1974) BW Acts.

2) It is a favourite haunt of the local Licence dodgers, who generally only move away from there out of C&RT working hours.

3) C&RT do enforce the 14 day mooring time limit there, but only in respect of boats with C&RT Licences, and particularly so if the allegedly 'offending' boat also has a fully paid up to date C&RT mooring. Otherwise the potential loss of income to C&RT is not considered by them to be sufficient to warrant the additional huge cost of embarking on legal action against the boat owner.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

This is a very appropriate time for this old topic to be resurrected.

To clarify the situation re. mooring outside County Hall in Nottingham, it is as follows : ~

1) Not C&RT land, and neither is it C&RT waters , because it is not within the main navigable channel of the river referred to in the1971 (and 1974) BW Acts.

2) It is a favourite haunt of the local Licence dodgers, who generally only move away from there out of C&RT working hours.

3) C&RT do enforce the 14 day mooring time limit there, but only in respect of boats with C&RT Licences, and particularly so if the allegedly 'offending' boat also has a fully paid up to date C&RT mooring.

Tony in respect of 3) How many boats in the last 2 years, have been subject to this treatment?

Bod

Tony in respect of 3) How many boats in the last 2 years, have been subject to this treatment?

Bod

As far as I'm aware, just one has been pursued all the way to (il)legal proceedings , Andy Wingfield.

Edited by Tony Dunkley