The Veg Pledge

Dalesman

Featured Posts

I considered the problem warranted a scything course. It was fun but not a cheap option. Course was about £100 and equipment (with 3 blade types to cope with the varying vegetation we encounter) was £300.

Here on the Gloucester & Sharpness in particular, I have found the scythe a perfect tool and I find scything very good for both the soul and the body!

Modern scythes have the advantage of easy rigging and de-rigging so they also store easily in relatively little space, do not cause the horrible noise and noxious fumes of powered tools, no need to keep dangerous petrol, are cheap to operate (a couple of pints of beer and a ploughman’s lunch a day), do not fling grass and damaging stones at the boat and can get right up to the edge with ease. A good, well maintained ‘ditch’ blade will cut surprisingly thick bush.

You need to be relatively fit, but if your technique is good, its not very hard work.

I also normally have a ‘slasher’ for overhanging small trees and bushes and I find the best source for these are second hand markets that often have a lot of good quality antique garden tools (hickory handled) for reasonable prices. Having said that, I have just broken the handle of my favourite slasher, cutting overhanging trees near the Sainsbury moorings, but I think that says more about my abuse of the tool than its quality!

From my experience, I would say cutting bank side grass and weeds is relatively easy/do-able but overhanging stuff is different, it is very time consuming and hazardous. Normally, it has to be done from your boat, which is not an ideal/steady platform and which to be effective, invariably means your boat is blocking the channel.

Personally, I don’t begrudge having to cut safe passage from and to my moored boat or to provide a view other than a wall of weeds. I try to look at the positives (my health) and just turn a deaf ear to the minority of winging ramblers who complain that I am destroying natural habitats. If I say anything, I normally retort that on the contrary, I am creating a natural habitat! To be fair, most passing walkers, bikers and boaters are interested to see an old tradition still at work.

I am not suggesting it is a solution for everyone.

I dont think that CaRT can win .When they have the grass cut they get moans about grass on boats. When they dont cut they get moaned at. Recently,I was moored next to long grass .The contractor did not cut the grass next to my boat .All well and good,exept,when I moved off,there was 50ft of uncut grass.Personaly,I have been known to chuck a bucket of water over my boat occasionaly .I did not find this task very stressfull.