Passing on the left - visual signals

billS

Featured Posts

just be thankful that Seagulls don't make it inland too often. last Atlantic voyage there was about 10 of the buggers that decided to rest on the Fcsle (Forecastle) all the way over (or so it seemed), flying off occasionally to go fishing then coming back. TBH not sure if it was the same ones coming back who had left earlier in the day. But I do know that apart from leaving a slimy covering of fishbones and bird mess all over the slightly pointy end of the ship all this had started a massive corrosive action on the steel deck (the Bird Sh!t was eating through the paint on the deck!) The Bsn and crowd where kept busy for a few hours getting it cleaned up.

Quite - in terms of canal boat handling, especially with regards to narrow canals, then reference to COLREGS should invoke an equivalent of Godwin's law.

We could call it "Richard's Law" if you like? Reference to COLREGS in this context indicates you have never steered a narrowboat on a narrow canal, and therefore don't know what you are talking about.

Greenie for that.

There have been regulations and customs applied to canals for far longer than the Colregs have existed. Empty horse boats gave way to loaded boats and unhooked the towline so they could pass; loaded boats got the outside of corners, whilst unloaded boats gave way to the inside.

The problem is that, as Mykaskin says, the nature of taking a deep, long boat along a narrow, shallow channel hasn't changed, but newer rules that people believe fit don't meet this special and different set of circumstances, which for some.still apply.

Now there's a word rarely seen or heard these days - trafficators, I remember from my extreme youth, were indicators which flipped up from the sides of a car's upper body. Some, I think, even waved up and down, though such flamboyance suggests American cars rather than British ones.

Now I must find out what Godwin's Law is....

EDIT: I have just found out, thanks to the Internet. I assume that the IW variant involves the probability of discussion of cassettes and pump-outs entering the conversation.

Edited by Athy

Now there's a word rarely seen or heard these days - trafficators, I remember from my extreme youth, were indicators which flipped up from the sides of a car's upper body. Some, I think, even waved up and down, though such flamboyance suggests American cars rather than British ones.

Now I must find out what Godwin's Law is....

EDIT: I have just found out, thanks to the Internet. I assume that the IW variant involves the probability of discussion of cassettes and pump-outs entering the conversation.

My dad had an old Wolseley (ex cop car) that had trafficators. Often one would get stuck, and when turning in the opposite direction and turning the other side on, they would both be stuck out. Early version of hazard warning lights perhaps?

Cassette and pump out arguments are old hat now, just like external regs. on alternators (the thought of which fills me with dread.).

Why would you want to pass on the left anyway?

If I seen any one of you lot waving and pointing and tapping on your chests I'd probably just pull over as I would instantly interpretate your reckless body language as a medical emergency or life in danger.

Really why would you want to pass on the left?

You'd get no change from me, I'd just hold my course.

Dan. You are misunderstanding the beating of chests by the other boater as one of the apes that come up and down the cut at Rodley.

Edited by Darren72

And it was my job to bash the door pillar so it flipped out when dad operated the switch. you could go from side to side in the back seat in those days.

And it was my job to bash the door pillar so it flipped out when dad operated the switch. you could go from side to side in the back seat in those days.

Bench seat in the front of some cars too. My uncle used to let me steer the car when I was about five.

The same uncle fitted indicators over the trafficator slot, sort of long thin orange lights. You couldn't see them from behind the car :)

Parking lights are my other early memory of cars (needed again with modern street lighting.)

Why would you want to pass on the left anyway?

If I seen any one of you lot waving and pointing and tapping on your chests I'd probably just pull over as I would instantly interpretate your reckless body language as a medical emergency or life in danger.

Really why would you want to pass on the left?

You'd get no change from me, I'd just hold my course.

No problem. If I am turning a sharp right handed (to me) bend with a full length loaded boat, and I am using the outside of the channel as you hove into view, just remember that the bit of canal I am able to leave for you on your "correct" side will barely be wide enough for a canoe.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

No problem. If I am turning a sharp right handed (to me) bend with a full length loaded boat, and I am using the outside of the channel as you hove into view, just remember that the bit of canal I am able to leave for you on your "correct" side will barely be wide enough for a canoe.

We had to let a motor and butty do exactly that last month on the Shroppie. There was simply no choice for them but to take the outside, and we moved to the "wrong" side. I always try to give deep drafted boats a chance, especially when they are towing.

...and my money's on the loaded boat in that sort of encounter!

Surely it's the same as on a (tarmac) road...

The bigger you are, the more you can get right of way.

Certainly articulated wagons often have to take a turn or a bend "wide" in order to make the manoeuvre, often meaning other vehicles need to wait.

So what do you do if you meet George Furnessvale coming the opposite way round that turn? clapping.gif

Fortunately (due to the current dredging state of our canals) these days it is a very rare occurrence for two loaded boats to meet but, hopefully, we both know what we are doing, can quickly decide who is taking the outside line and adjust accordingly!

As you are no doubt well aware, this could involve some very close passing or even the odd rub which would send many boaters into a flat spin.

On certain bends on canals like the Peak Forest the only choice would be to put the boat up the bank and sort things out laterhug.gif

Fortunately (due to the current dredging state of our canals) these days it is a very rare occurrence for two loaded boats to meet but, hopefully, we both know what we are doing, can quickly decide who is taking the outside line and adjust accordingly!

As you are no doubt well aware, this could involve some very close passing or even the odd rub which would send many boaters into a flat spin.

On certain bends on canals like the Peak Forest the only choice would be to put the boat up the bank and sort things out laterhug.gif

Doesn't it just!

I did post that with tongue very much in cheek. It didn't used to be uncommon though and was no big deal. As Catweasel notes most current canal users would need to have a quick change of underwear in such an event now.

Tam

So what do you do if you meet George Furnessvale coming the opposite way round that turn? clapping.gif

Contest between the Uxbridge Steel Barrel Company's engineering skills and those of (IIRC) Yarwoods!

(George isn't my boat by the way, although I wish it were with a foreend like that!)

Contest between the Uxbridge Steel Barrel Company's engineering skills and those of (IIRC) Yarwoods!

(slight topic slip smiley_offtopic.gif )

At the time Nigel and Diana salvaged George from the scrap man they lived on the Severner Ash, so they had a fondness for robust boats, confirmed by their subsequent purchase of Mary to complete the set. That was however back when such vessels could pass each other most places that weren't remainder canals.