Passing on the left - visual signals

billS

Featured Posts

How do you indicate that you wish to pass on the left? I mean visually, not by horn signals.

I tend to stick out my left hand to indicate that I mean to go left, as if I was on a bike, but that can be misinterpreted as indicating that you wish or think the other fella should pass on the right.

What does everyone else do? Is there an unequivocal signal?

I usually pat my chest a few times with my left hand, than put it out to the left. I think that makes it clear that it is me that is going that side, not the other boat. It's worked OK so far

Richard

Edited by RLWP
  • Greenie 1

It can get confusing because some people interpret the hand signal to mean that they want the other party to take the side indicated. I tend to agree that reading the actual boats "body language" (for want of a better word) is often the best clue. I put the emphasis on "often." (picking my words carefully these days ;) )

I tend to do similar, and then point at the other steerer and point to the right, just in case they're fick. In truth the situation rarely occurs except occasionally when emerging from/ entering locks.

I point at the one coming towards me, then bring my hand down in a sweeping motion down the right side of my boat. If he (never she, they always understand .... creep creep) doesn't understand that then I give up, hard reverse, and let them go where they want.

eta - beat by Athy

Edited by Mike Tee

When I need to pass on the "wrong" side I make a deliberate and exaggerated move to the left; I point at the other steerer and make a sweeping movement in an arc, showing the path I want him to take. Never hit anyone - yet!

eta: I'm obviously a slow this morning. Beaten to it by Athy and Mike.

Edited by koukouvagia

This always gives me a laugh as you can often see confusion across the face of the oncoming boater. I often find that the direction of my bow helps. I do signal where I am going and experienced boaters get it, most of the time. I have seen some boaters move in the direction of my arm so I tend to indicate and then watch how the other reacts

Edited by Geordie.narrowboat

I point at the one coming towards me, then bring my hand down in a sweeping motion down the right side of my boat. If he (never she, they always understand .... creep creep) doesn't understand that then I give up, hard reverse, and let them go where they want.

eta - beat by Athy

Ah - the "I want to karate chop your neck" gesture.

When I need to pass on the "wrong" side I make a deliberate and exaggerated move to the left; I point at the other steerer and make a sweeping movement in an arc, showing the path I want him to take. Never hit anyone - yet!

I used to do this, however I stopped after saying this is what I did on here a while ago and was told that it was too arrogant or dictatorial (can't recall the exact word used) to direct another boater to do what you expect them to do.

I wonder if the same member will pop up and say the same in this thread.

Personally I still think it's OK, as obviously does Athy.

Why would you want to pass on the left anyway?

If I seen any one of you lot waving and pointing and tapping on your chests I'd probably just pull over as I would instantly interpretate your reckless body language as a medical emergency or life in danger.

Really why would you want to pass on the left?

You'd get no change from me, I'd just hold my course.

, but that can be misinterpreted as indicating that you wish or think the other fella should pass on the right.

It can get confusing because some people interpret the hand signal to mean that they want the other party to take the side indicated.

I can see a difference emerging here between 'this is what I am doing' and 'this is what I want you to do'

Richard

There is no hand signal for "I want to pass on the left". There is a horn signal for it, however. For this reason, I don't make hand signals to other boaters because it could easily (as seen in the posts on this thread so far, in the range of different signals for the same thing) lead to misinterpretation. I'll use the horn if needs be.

If I seen any one of you lot waving and pointing and tapping on your chests I'd probably just pull over as I would instantly interpretate your reckless body language as a medical emergency or life in danger.

How about if you want to put someone down on a lock landing on the left just as a boat is coming out of a lock towards you? (Happened to me the other day as I was exiting the lock. The other boat stuck his arm out to the left to show where he was going, I stuck mine out to the left in response to show where i was going and everyone was happy)

Smaller boat might want to make life easier/possible for a full length, or deep draughted boat, or working boat (one that's working actually working, not a historic boat being used for leisure), or vice versa. Particularly so in short lock pounds.

Boat may be about to moor (but not yet moored).

I can see a difference emerging here between 'this is what I am doing' and 'this is what I want you to do'

Richard

...and who on here thinks they have the right to give orders to another boater?

I'm for the unequivocal 'I intend to do this' gesture. Quite often, though, there is no need for any signal at all as your boat positioning makes it obvious.

• Greenie 1

There is no hand signal for "I want to pass on the left". There is a horn signal for it, however. For this reason, I don't make hand signals to other boaters because it could easily (as seen in the posts on this thread so far, in the range of different signals for the same thing) lead to misinterpretation. I'll use the horn if needs be.

I suspect that there is even more chance of a horn signal being misunderstood by a casual user of the canal, for instance an inexperienced hire boater.

I suspect that there is even more chance of a horn signal being misunderstood by a casual user of the canal, for instance an inexperienced hire boater.

Agree totally.

I was in the middle of a convoy of three on Saturday gone when the boat in front went for a pass on the left in an attempt to navigate a little 12 foot wide dumpy plastic forward control tour boat broads cruiser lookalike thing.

The dumpy thing was obviously drifting and out of control so I hand gestured "stop" to the boat behind me, decreased my speed and steered towards the towpath.

The boat in front just kept going.

As I drew closer and the situation changed whereby it looked as though I could navigate the situation properly I continued to proceed.

Drawing along side the dumpy boat I saw that the net curtain was blowing about, outside, through the broken window which, coincidently, also had smoke bellowing out of it and two innocent young scallywags embarking on their self tutorial helmsmen courses.

The boat had been stolen.

I continued on my journey content in the knowledge that I had navigated in the correct manner and not put my boat or my crew in jeopardy, unlike the boat in front of me.

I was in the middle of a convoy of three on Saturday gone when the boat in front went for a pass on the left in an attempt to navigate a little 12 foot wide dumpy plastic forward control tour boat broads cruiser lookalike thing.

The dumpy thing was obviously drifting and out of control so I hand gestured "stop" to the boat behind me, decreased my speed and steered towards the towpath.

The boat in front just kept going.

As I drew closer and the situation changed whereby it looked as though I could navigate the situation properly I continued to proceed.

Drawing along side the dumpy boat I saw that the net curtain was blowing about, outside, through the broken window which, coincidently, also had smoke bellowing out of it and two innocent young scallywags embarking on their self tutorial helmsmen courses.

The boat had been stolen.

I continued on my journey content in the knowledge that I had navigated in the correct manner and not put my boat or my crew in jeopardy, unlike the boat in front of me.

Did you phone the coppers I wonder?

A significant proportion of amateur boaters interpret ANY horn signal as "Get out of my way, I'm coming through", so I use them with great trepidation.

MtB