Vetus service interval

Featured Posts

I have a Vetus 3.28 which comes out of warranty in October. Up to now I have been using Vetus oil filters, and changing oil/filter at 100 hours as stipulated by Vetus. Is there a reason for such a short service interval? Maybe oil filter capacity? Or is it just Vetus being Vetus ... ???

So what do other Vetus owners do? I have seen service intervals of 200, 250 or even 500 hours in other forum posts. For info, we get out on the boat at least fortnightly, typically weekly if the weather is good. I typically do 400-500 hours per year.

And while I'm asking Vetus questions, what oil filter would people recommend instead of the Vetus STM0051 (M2, M3, M4 compatible)?

Thank you.

Baldwin B1402 filter for my M415 though many others will fit. IIRC it is same as Mitsu Shogun Pinin 2.0 litre petrol engine filter.

All quality equivalent but much cheaper than Vetus both oil and fuel at: http://www.filtermania.co.uk/

Vetus state 100 hrs for the oil change, but Thornycroft who used to use the identical base engine state 200 hrs. I generally change it at maximum 150 hrs, but sometimes shorter, say end of season when putting fresh oil in for winterisation.

As an aside, Vetus told me to "use any quality diesel oil that met the spec. but doesn't hurt your pocket, either mineral, semi or fully synthetic." I generally use mineral, usually Asda own brand (Mobil I believe) or Comma.

Edited by Guest

This thread reveals Baldwin B1402 as a direct replacement. I'm currently using Baldwin B227, which is very similar.

The Veti I look after try to get an oil and filter change at 200 hours, (which I reckon is roughly equivalent to 6000 miles in a road engine) or once a year, whichever comes first.

Iain

Edited by Iain_S

My 4.17 is only a year old, so have been servicing as per vetus service schedule, now about to do a major service and in 300 hours the oil hasn't even changed colour in the three times I've changed it. Does seem a bit of a short interval, but they state the g/box oil should be changed at 500hrs/12 months and that's looking a bit manky after 300 hrs

My 4.17 is only a year old, so have been servicing as per vetus service schedule, now about to do a major service and in 300 hours the oil hasn't even changed colour in the three times I've changed it. Does seem a bit of a short interval, but they state the g/box oil should be changed at 500hrs/12 months and that's looking a bit manky after 300 hrs

I seem to recall that the ATF in my gearbox was a bit dodgy looking at first change. I have since changed it every autumn and again in spring and after a summers cruise it looks like new.

I was surprised to find that our m 4.17 Vetus needed oil changes at 100 hrs. A bit of looking around found that it was excessive and that most other engines were between 150 and 250 hrs.

I now change our at 150 hrs.

The oil filter and fuel filters can be had from inline filters. Find them on line. They have a lot of equivalent tables. PF 7824 is one of them for oil.

Main fuel filter is Mann Hummel WK 715/1. Again with any of these the Inline Filter's equivalent tables will throw up a few more.

The small filter in the fuel pump is FBW-PF7824. This filter is the first to to get clogged if you have any problems with the fuel.

Good hunting,

Bob

I was surprised to find that our m 4.17 Vetus needed oil changes at 100 hrs. A bit of looking around found that it was excessive and that most other engines were between 150 and 250 hrs.

The oil filter and fuel filters can be had from inline filters. Find them on line. They have a lot of equivalent tables. PF 7824 is one of them for oil.

Main fuel filter is Mann Hummel WK 715/1. Again with any of these the Inline Filter's equivalent tables will throw up a few more.

The small filter in the fuel pump is FBW-PF7824. This filter is the first to to get clogged if you have any problems with the fuel.

Good hunting,

Bob

Just out of curiosity, do these mann Hummel WK 715/1 fuel filters have metal drain plugs as opposed to plastic ones?

Good hunting,

Bob

It is well worth having a large filter/water trap in the fuel line to ensure that you don't have problems with the filter in the fuel pump.

Just out of curiosity, do these mann Hummel WK 715/1 fuel filters have metal drain plugs as opposed to plastic ones?

Plastic I think. I know, it should be metal, but I don't think it makes much difference. Diesel isn't like petrol when it comes to fire risk.

Bob

It is well worth having a large filter/water trap in the fuel line to ensure that you don't have problems with the filter in the fuel pump.

Yes I know. I have replaced the original filter/separator canister several times but have never gotten around to upgrading it. I should really, but now we're selling up it will never get done, at least by me.

Bob