Featured Posts

Hi Everyone

I am looking forward to tackling the Cheshire Ring this August and am after some recent experiences from people with regards to travelling through Manchester.

We are going to be a crew of two women and a 9 year old girl so not a big crew and not a burly man in sight. I have obvioulsy grown up hearing all the horror stories but having never cruised through Manchester i'm hoping to get some feedback on anyone's experiences in the last 12 months or so.

As an aside - clockwise or anti-clockwise? We'll be starting from Northwich.

Thanks in advance.

Paula

Having just finished work for a major hire company, a fair few of the customers who did the ring said they wish they hadn't because of the Manchester section, mainly due to the lack of water (vandalism), and the state of the canal in general, no reports of anti-social behaviour, but they did feel vulnerable in a couple of places, One couple who had just finished the ring said they were phoning friends to advise them to take a different route, as they were planning to do the ring in a couple of weeks time. Please note this is only an observation from people I dealt with and in no way my opinion as I've never done this area by boat.

Thanks Paul C - I shall keep an eye on the stoppage - appreciate the heads up

Thanks B0atman - shall keep that in mind - seems a good reason for doing it in that direction

Thanks andyb116 - it's good to get a well rounded view of the situation.

I would recommend staying in Thomas Telford basin at Piccadilly, and setting out fairly early (say 8am) to do the Ashton or Rochdale 9. It is unlikely that you would encounter any antisocial behaviour, but mornings = bed time for the naughty kids. We found the Ashton fine, if a little hard work due to the anti-vandal locks and the fact that you can only cross over at the bottom end of the locks, so leave plenty of time because you will not go as fast through locks as you would on say the midlands canals. We enjoyed the Rochdale 9 - again, no probs with antisocial behaviour or lock / pound condition, but you might find the "underground" bits near the top slightly alarming as females and it would be sensible for everyone to stay together rather than someone going ahead. Of course, you can't go ahead on some of the pounds anyway, because there is no towpath.

We had no trouble or even sight of trouble other than a lump of rubbish on the prop requiring use of the weed hatch to clear it. Moorings at caslefield can be a bit full. However we were not in school holidays so less busy, we did follow someone on the Ashton he opened all the anti vandal locks we closed them, this did help.

I would recommend staying in Thomas Telford basin at Piccadilly, and setting out fairly early (say 8am) to do the Ashton or Rochdale 9. It is unlikely that you would encounter any antisocial behaviour, but mornings = bed time for the naughty kids. We found the Ashton fine, if a little hard work due to the anti-vandal locks and the fact that you can only cross over at the bottom end of the locks, so leave plenty of time because you will not go as fast through locks as you would on say the midlands canals. We enjoyed the Rochdale 9 - again, no probs with antisocial behaviour or lock / pound condition, but you might find the "underground" bits near the top slightly alarming as females and it would be sensible for everyone to stay together rather than someone going ahead. Of course, you can't go ahead on some of the pounds anyway, because there is no towpath.

Having just done this bit I would concur with this in every detail. We got through the Ashton locks in the knick of time.

N

Clockwise give you the firsts day or so lock free on the Bridgewater so a bit of sailing practice, then a tough couple of days through Mnachester and to Marple after that mixed sailing some long lock free sections some heavily locked but mainly countryside. Anticlockwise has the advantage of the last couple of days being on the Bridgewater which is good for making up time if you're running late. If there's just the 2 of you (plus child) and you don't have any experience I hope this is a 2 week holiday as it's a lot to take on in a week even if it all goes well and all the locks are working.

K

Welcome, we have done it twice in nine months, last August and again on May, the Rochdale Nine are really heavy, but if you can give a call out on here, there are a couple of people who can help (and of course, the Manchester gongoozlers, who will always help). We have done it clockwise both times as the views over the Cheshire Locks are gorgeous - take the advice to moor at Thomas Telford Basin and do Manchester in the morning; that way, you're out of any banter from Canal Street and also avoid weekends if you can.

Also, avoid the Bank holiday in Manchester, aim to be on the Macc or Trent & Mersey by then.

Feel free to pm me - we were me, my husband and 4 animals in August and my daughter over from NZ with us in May

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to put a little thank you message on here for everyones time and advice - it is much appreciated. Ashton flight opens tomorrow so two weeks from now we shall head off clockwise on our travels and see what happens. Lets hope the nice weather contiues through August - can't wait.

Paula

Both times I have done it I have done Rochdale 9 and Ashton in one hit going clockwise. If you spend a night in Castlefield Basin if you chat to people on the other boats you can normally find someone to share the locks on the Rochdale 9 in the morning which will at least make those easier. As long as you make it to Dukinfield (or just onto the Peak forrest before the first lift bridge) you should have a safe mooring for the night. I did once get to the bottom of the Marple from Castlefield but that was with a big crew and it was a long day!

Have a great trip!