downsizing to fit on narrowboat

isatis

Featured Posts

I wrote a blog post a week or so ago about this very thing, downsizing, and the stuff we don't need.

Each time I visit my parents house now, I feel completely opressed by their sheer volume of stuff crammed into their house. I can't breath, there's no clear air. the "stuff" seems to take it all.

It took a while to downsize so that I could fit my stuff into a narrowboat. It took an entirely new approach alltogether to fit it all into the next, smaller boat.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=68851&hl=

• 2 weeks later...

I've tidied up now. Those wires for the computer have also been fed behind the cupboard where the telly is.

what you need to do is have a really good tidy up then take a series of photo's of anywhere on the boat you might want to post and store them.....then you can just grab them out of the archive and post and you don't have to tidy again until you're expecting visitors......simplesqueek rolleyes.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Nice area Blackrose. Too small a tv and why do you have a radiator AND a big wood burning stove? To big a space to keep warm?

No, the stove keeps the boat warm even in sub-zero temperatures. The radiator is for those spring and autumnal evenings when it's not cold enough to light the stove. But I also use it to even out the stove fluctuations like when the stove has died down on cold winter mornings. It has a thermostat, so it just switches itself on when the temperature drops below 15C or whatever I've set it at.

And the TV is a perfect size for me. I don't want a great big TV dominating my living space.

Edited by blackrose

We did a boot fair - spent a huge amount of time sorting out stuff that we though people would like to buy and deciding on prices.

Arrived at the site at stupid o'clock on a weekend where I normally sleep until sensible o'clock.

Spent the day feeling increasingly dispirited while folk scorned our possessions and haggled us down to pennies for them because we're just too polite to argue.

Never again - everything else we boxed up and gave to charity shops. We've been lucky enough to have a lorry body on a relative's field - now we need to do a second round of liberating decluttering - the stuff we thought we needed when we moved aboard seems ridiculous now!