Mooring at the top of Lapworth

keble

Featured Posts

Planning to come down from Gas St to Kings Norton junction and then Stratford canal today.

Emap mentions moorings at Hockey Heath, also a boatyard (swift hire?)

Any experience of these or recommendations?

There are mooring either side of Bridge 25 at Hockley Heath. Those on the Stratford side of the bridge are in a cutting which can be muddy and noisy as the canal is by the side of a busy road

Moorings on the Birmingham side of the bridge are 48 and have rings/bollards and are very close to the The Wharf Tavern which serves a reasonable selection of food (http://www.canalandriversidepubs.co.uk/pubs/stratford/wharf-tavern.html)

The boatyard is Swallow Cruisers (through the next lift bridge) and there are towpath moorings opposite

I've moored between the second lift bridge and the top lock. A nice spot. There's a cottage there who have put up their own 'no mooring' sign. Which gives me an extra reason to moor there. :-)

• Greenie 1

Hello again. I think you are doing the same route as us in reverse. We moored just after (just before for you) bridge 20 where there is also a bakery just off the canal. It looks quite close to the m42 on the map but was actually very quiet. We came from there to Gas Street easily in one day stopping for water just before bridge 5 - good fast flow if you need to fill up.

It's quite pleasant if you go down the first four and moor in the wooded straight just before the main flight.

There is also a nice spot if you go down the first 2 locks a Lapworth.

The moorings by the pub at Hockley Heath, are usually busy, if you want to be by the pub fine, but there are much nicer places to stop.

Anywhereon the towpath after Hockley Heath would be fine. If it were me I'd get right up to the locks if I were you or even down a few of them and then moor. Gas street to the BOTTOM of Lapworth/top of Hatton can easily be done in a day.

Sometime around January or February this year, for two weeks I moored in the pound between Lock 6 and the Old Warwick Road bridge, nearer to lock 6 than the bridge. I used to park my car in the layby in Packwood Lane. It was a bit spooky getting back to the boat late at night as it was so dark and quiet. Fantastic spot. Depends on what you want from the mooring but I found it nicer than the previous two weeks at Hockley Heath, not that there was anything bad where I was moored about 200yrds beyond the wharf. (I like quiet, out of the way spots and will happily walk 1/2 - 1 mile to a pub or road but prefer not to need wellies for the walk).

Rob

I also agree, there should perhaps be a concerted effort to moor outside these people's houses. Boxing Day 3 years ago, as we pulled away from a mooring on the Birmingham and Fazeley, by Minworth Green Bridge after a drink in the Pub, we heard a volley of abuse shouted through a hedge from a garden. The brave homeowner hadn't said a word when we moored up or through the night, but as our really very quiet boat pulled away, of he went on a rant about noise.

I remember looking back at his hedge and thinking well he can't be shouting at us as we make almost no noise, but realising he was.

I also agree, there should perhaps be a concerted effort to moor outside these people's houses. Boxing Day 3 years ago, as we pulled away from a mooring on the Birmingham and Fazeley, by Minworth Green Bridge after a drink in the Pub, we heard a volley of abuse shouted through a hedge from a garden. The brave homeowner hadn't said a word when we moored up or through the night, but as our really very quiet boat pulled away, of he went on a rant about noise.

I remember looking back at his hedge and thinking well he can't be shouting at us as we make almost no noise, but realising he was.

Just noticed the name of your boat.

Are you Sir Henry?

smile.png

An update: made very good progress (so few boats around!) so came down Lapworth as far as lock 14. Sitting in the garden of the Boot inn sipping cider. First mate knackered so we are staying.

Thanks again for the local info.

No, just a fan of Viv Stanshall and his works. Anyone who could come up with the line " Mercifully Henry hit him with the soft end of the pistol." gets my vote and admiration.

smiley_offtopic.gif

My favourite is:

"If I had all the money I've spent on drink.....................................................I'd spend it on drink!"

Oddly enough, I'm in a pub typing this.

Cheers!

cheers.gif

An update: made very good progress (so few boats around!) so came down Lapworth as far as lock 14. Sitting in the garden of the Boot inn sipping cider. First mate knackered so we are staying.

Thanks again for the local info.

Thinking of you at the Boot, when we are at Sharpness, made me realise that you can't get a much more extreme difference of pubs between the Boot at Lapworth and the Pier View Hotel in Sharpness.

We set off for Lapworth on Sunday though, so will be entering the present again soon ;)