Gas Street Basin to Wolverhampton

Glenn&Karen

Featured Posts

Firstly, you shouldn't need to moor overnight on that trip.

If you do want to stop, the Black Country Museum is popular, and there are offside moorings at Wolverhampton

Richard

Ahh. Well, both of those are towards Wolvo. You can also moor up in Broad Street basin, we did for the BCN Challenge. I didn't realise there were so many different kinds of ambulance siren

Richard

Just before the last bridge before the basin at the top lock, there are offside moorings inaccessible except by boat (ie secure, but you can't get off) or opposite, there are moorings which are accessible via the BW yard onto the street - perhaps slightly less secure but I think the yard is locked at night. Before that folk have been know to moor (on rings) at Coseley, 1/2 mile or so the Wolverhampton side of Coseley tunnel. Before that it's Tipton or the BCLM.

Whenever we used to do The Wolverhampton 21 we opted for BCLM moorings. We did stop overnight once on the offside moorings in the basin by the top lock. They are fine but being against a high brick wall they are a bit dark and gloomy (not that it matters overnight)

Another vote for the bacon butties from the wagon here!

Stayed at Black Country Museum last night. Excellent mooring and good CRT facilities.

Also Dudley Canal Trust beer festival (at the museum) started yesterday! I think it goes on for a good few days.

We're at Gas Street tonight, good atmosphere!

We've swapped places with you Keble! Lovely quiet afternoon here at BCLM. Although we enjoyed Birmingham Gas Street Basin too.

We've swapped places with you Keble! Lovely quiet afternoon here at BCLM. Although we enjoyed Birmingham Gas Street Basin too.

So probably passed you today. Had a great day here!

Thanks Richard. I'll ask the right question this time. We are heading for the Shropshire Union so want to moor up near Wolverhampton ready to tackle the Wolverhampton locks the next day.

It's easily doable to do the 21 on the same day and moor at the bottom just around the corner on the S&W just before the junction with the Shroppie that's what we did

And after you've moored up...go for a drink in the little clubhouse bar at Oxley Marine- very pleasant and very friendly.We love it !

Trina

And after you've moored up...go for a drink in the little clubhouse bar at Oxley Marine- very pleasant and very friendly.We love it !

Trina

Trina

So the Boat Club is still there then is it. The last time I was in there was for the Royal Wedding, not the last one but for Charles and Diana in 1981 captain.gif

Thanks for those suggestions. Just perusing the map. Old main line or new main line - which is the best route? I see BCM is on old.

I would add my vote to Nicknorman's...... I did the old main line for the first time last week .... so much more interesting than the new... almost rural in places and as you get closer to Birmingham I love the contrast between the old canal and the modern motorway which does rather dominate for a while!

10447108_10152491306285211_8904640216959

Edited by NickF

We did the new main line in the end. It was a bit boring but did the job. We'd definitely try the old line if we were that way again and now we know the lay of the land. The recommendation to moor in the Black Country Museum was a really good one which we are grateful for. We were pleasantly surprised by the Wolverhampton 21 - much greener than expected. We are now on the Shroppie - which is a whole different experience.

We did the new main line in the end. It was a bit boring but did the job. We'd definitely try the old line if we were that way again and now we know the lay of the land. The recommendation to moor in the Black Country Museum was a really good one which we are grateful for. We were pleasantly surprised by the Wolverhampton 21 - much greener than expected. We are now on the Shroppie - which is a whole different experience.

My memory of the only time I've done the Wolverhampton 21 is dead fish