renewing anodes

cariad

Featured Posts

Hi,

4 of the anodes on my narrow boat are shot, but the other 4 which are in the centre are o.k. I am looking for any information regarding

replacement and a reputable company based on the KENNET and AVON where I am heading for my WINTER mooring. What is the normal

amount of anodes fitted to a 58' narrow boat ?. I would also like to know the sort of cost this would involve and would appreciate any advice

on this matter.

Generally 2 at front on curved bow section and 2 at stern on tapered swim .

A good guide is if working correctly then they should need replacing at about 4 yearly intervals.

Cost I would budget about £150 for old anode removal, new anodes purchase and welding .

Anodes are sacrificial, ie the ones that are "shot" are actually working, the ones that are "OK" are not working. This may be because there is little corrosion around around the OK ones or there may be another reason. Worth investigating, and it's normal to replace them whilst blacking otherwise it will cost more to dry dock the boat than to supply and fit new ones.

Hi,

4 of the anodes on my narrow boat are shot, but the other 4 which are in the centre are o.k. I am looking for any information regarding

replacement and a reputable company based on the KENNET and AVON where I am heading for my WINTER mooring. What is the normal

amount of anodes fitted to a 58' narrow boat ?. I would also like to know the sort of cost this would involve and would appreciate any advice

on this matter.

Depends where you are going on the K&A.

Options, ABC at Aldermaston, Dry dock at Newbury, Foxhangers at bottom of Caen Hill, ABC at Hilperton.

Ken

Hi,

on this matter.

As already said, normally 2 at the front and two at the back. My question is why have you got 4 in the middle? and I am assuming that by middle, you mean that they are halfway along the side of the hull. If they are then are they the recessed type? if not then it would be worth considering taking them off as they add width to your boat, and that's not a good thing if you need to use 7 foot wide locks. I don't think they are very effective in that position anyway.

Just had my 4 anodes replaced recently and they were £40 each. But factor in the dry dock cost as well which is significant. May be worth finding a yard that has a slipway and cradle suitable for your boat which may be cheaper. Or if your blacking is due soon do the whole lot in one go

As already said, normally 2 at the front and two at the back. My question is why have you got 4 in the middle? and I am assuming that by middle, you mean that they are halfway along the side of the hull. If they are then are they the recessed type? if not then it would be worth considering taking them off as they add width to your boat, and that's not a good thing if you need to use 7 foot wide locks. I don't think they are very effective in that position anyway.

Just had my 4 anodes replaced recently and they were £40 each. But factor in the dry dock cost as well which is significant. May be worth finding a yard that has a slipway and cradle suitable for your boat which may be cheaper. Or if your blacking is due soon do the whole lot in one go

I have 4 mid way, 2 down each side. just above the sole plate, not recessed and caught them a couple of times but not a problem. You can get corrosion in the middle as well as the ends is the thinking behind it.