Anderton Lift

andyb116

Featured Posts

Hopefully going down the lift wednesday onto the weaver, only staying on the river overnight. Will be turning left out of the lift towards Northwich, any suggestions where to turn and places to moor overnight before hunts lock and coming back up Thursday would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Andy

You could moor at Anderton itself, Northwich (there's moorings both sides of the river) and just before the lock landing of the first lock upstream from the lift. You could also go downstream and moor on either of the visitor moorings, then turn round and go upstream. You can turn pretty much anywhere on the river, except for the very most upstream section just before weaver bottom flash where it gets a little narrow for a full length boat to turn. And you can go slightly into the bottom flash to turn if you wanted to.

Are there not new moorings in Northwich ?

Yes but they're paid for, even for an overnight stop or a short stop for Waitrose. Since there are moorings also at £0 (the visitor moorings I mentioned before), I didn't mention the ones which cost money - although they do exist.

Yes but they're paid for, even for an overnight stop or a short stop for Waitrose. Since there are moorings also at £0 (the visitor moorings I mentioned before), I didn't mention the ones which cost money - although they do exist.

It does seem a bit short sighted that there's no handy way to tie up & pop into Waitrose. Maybe because of a fear of misuse, don't know.

We stopped on the little concrete pier to do just that, but boats much longer than our 35' might find it awkward.

Tim

It does seem a bit short sighted that there's no handy way to tie up & pop into Waitrose. Maybe because of a fear of misuse, don't know.

We stopped on the little concrete pier to do just that, but boats much longer than our 35' might find it awkward.

Tim

I thought you could moor up opposite for nothing and cross the swing bridge to get to Waitrose?

I thought you could moor up opposite for nothing and cross the swing bridge to get to Waitrose?

Indeed you can, but the route is not direct and could feel like a long haul with heavy bags of shopping, especially for those who are not as young as they once were.

Tim

There's moorings both sides of the river. The one on the right side for Waitrose, not in the new marina but a little further along, is pictured here: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=52606&hl= Its not much more of a walk but I didn't buy any really heavy items from Waitrose.

If there were 2 of you, its possible to drop someone off just at the confluence of the Dane & Weaver and onto the Waitrose car park, then either drift around, circle, or temporarily moor somewhere, without touching the marina's moorings/pontoons. But its very shallow on the Dane and an awkward reverse off.

Turn right and go to Barnton Cut. The bestest mooring in the world ( in our humble opinion)

Otherwise the moorings just below the lock at Nantwich look nice

For future info, Nantwich Quay is a very excellent place to leave a boat. Friendly, clean, pet-friendly, reasonably priced and negotiable, great showers. Oh, and most convenient for Waitrose!

If in town the fishmongers is amazing.

Turn right and go to Barnton Cut. The bestest mooring in the world ( in our humble opinion)

Otherwise the moorings just below the lock at Nantwich look nice

For future info, Nantwich Quay is a very excellent place to leave a boat. Friendly, clean, pet-friendly, reasonably priced and negotiable, great showers. Oh, and most convenient for Waitrose!

If in town the fishmongers is amazing.

NORTHwich?

wink.png

Tim

There's moorings both sides of the river. The one on the right side for Waitrose, not in the new marina but a little further along, is pictured here: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=52606&hl= Its not much more of a walk but I didn't buy any really heavy items from Waitrose.

If there were 2 of you, its possible to drop someone off just at the confluence of the Dane & Weaver and onto the Waitrose car park, then either drift around, circle, or temporarily moor somewhere, without touching the marina's moorings/pontoons. But its very shallow on the Dane and an awkward reverse off.

That link takes me to the thread about Cambridge which I reckon is a huge walk to waitrose at Northwich.

Just to say thanks to Paul C, turned right out of the lift and went to the moorings at Barnton, winded, then went to Northwich to go shopping at Waitrose. (Had to breast up as all the visitor moorings were full). Now back moored below the lift for the night. Nice river to cruise.

Just to say thanks to Paul C, turned right out of the lift and went to the moorings at Barnton, winded, then went to Northwich to go shopping at Waitrose. (Had to breast up as all the visitor moorings were full). Now back moored below the lift for the night. Nice river to cruise.

You were spotted:

IMG_8443-L.jpg

Taken at 4.45

We came down the lift yesterday, last passage at 4.30pm and went to Northwich and got a short mooring next to the service block.

Went into town in the evening and couldn't believe how deserted the High Street was at 8.0pm, almost no pubs and no restaurants, even the McDonalds closed early.

Eventually found the Wetherspoons hidden behind scaffolding at the top end of the town (Note to landlord, if you are going to hang flags up of all the nations in the World cup don't hang them in front of the telly!)

Boated up to Winsford and got the only free mooring (Of two) at the pub which is very friendly with a good music theme.

Now on the mooring at Barnton Cut, moorings don't come much more Idyllic.

Altogether a lovely river with the friendliest lock keepers I have ever come across

As a point of interest if you get stuck for a mooring in Northwich their is a nice mooring site on the Right (Going upstream) just before Hunts Lock, only a short walk from the town, the lock keepers were quite disappointed that we didn't moor there as they had just cut the grass.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Can't hide anywhere, take it your not on Fulbourne as it's the sort of boat I would of heard and noticed, unless it was when I went down to the service block to get rid of the rubbish. Have to agree, lovely river (the small amount we did) and the moorings at Barnton looked great.

We came down the lift yesterday, last passage at 4.30pm and went to Northwich and got a short mooring next to the service block.

Went into town in the evening and couldn't believe how deserted the High Street was at 8.0pm, almost no pubs and no restaurants, even the McDonalds closed early.

Eventually found the Wetherspoons hidden behind scaffolding at the top end of the town (Note to landlord, if you are going to hang flags up of all the nations in the World cup don't hang them in front of the telly!)

As a point of interest if you get stuck for a mooring in Northwich their is a nice mooring site on the Right (Going upstream) just before Hunts Lock,

Tim

Northwich is very much a market town. The centre is quiet except at the weekend at night.

If on the visitors moorings moorings walk up castle hill away from town on the opposite side of the river. There are two Indian Resturants three pubs and a collection of take aways and even a tescos express.

From hunts lock moorings go up the footpath and up Darwin street and that brings you out by the blue barrel pub and the Indians are on the right.