Waste of money-signage

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

It a bit of a Shroppie thing I think, and linked with the SUCS efforts to create pleasant visitor moorings where before there was just shallows and the shelf - which should of course be praised. There does seem to be a dearth of easy to use visitor moorings that are longer than 48hr though. But then there is plenty of non-VM space, especially if you have the Shroppie wheels.

Talking of waste of money signage, we've just gone past the 7 day moorings at Foxton on the Market Harborough arm, I'm probably a bit slow here but I can't actually see how you are supposed to moor. There are no bollards or rings and if you are supposed to use the mooring pins you'd have to drive them through the fairly solid towpath (so that someone can trip over them!). Is this what I'm carrying an anchor for??frusty.gif

• Greenie 1

Talking of waste of money signage, we've just gone past the 7 day moorings at Foxton on the Market Harborough arm, I'm probably a bit slow here but I can't actually see how you are supposed to moor. There are no bollards or rings and if you are supposed to use the mooring pins you'd have to drive them through the fairly solid towpath (so that someone can trip over them!). Is this what I'm carrying an anchor for??frusty.gif

You can't! That's why it's 7 days not 48hrs! Can't even get close to the bank even if you wanted to put pins in the middle of the towpath.

If they are free if that infernal shelf then I agree that they are a good thing after all. Part of the thing for me is why are they limited to 48 hours? Most of them are in the middle of no where.

You get a lot of them on the Llangollen. The Shroppie and the Llangollen are incredibly annoying when you're looking for an out of the way mooring to spend a couple of weeks at to explore the area. I've pointed at many 48 hours signs and said "why?" because there's nothing around but fields. Sometimes it's felt like a conspiracy to make it more difficult for boaters that are exploring the canals and want to spend a bit more time in one area.

Lets get this right, a society, of their own volition and presumably at their own expense, make mooring considerably easier at some locations on the shroppie. This is necessary because the SU, unlike many canals, has a shelf making it difficult to moor. That society does these works on the condition that they are for visitors wanting to stay a day or two only, which probably represents what their members want.

Extended cruisers, blissfully unaware both of the history of the canal (it was the fast track from Birmingham to Livepool, no-one stopped anywhere) and of the history of the moorings, whinge about it.

If you want to stop for longer get your shroppie wheels and your mooring pegs out. I do not like CRT's habit of making it difficult to moor away from VM's but this isn't such an example.

Personally, I'd like to see a class of visitor mooring where all the shiny boaters have to bugger off by eleven am so I can stop for lunch, lazy buggers sleeping off last nights vino get in the way of those of us who start at dawn, but it isn't going to happen. judge.giflaugh.png

• Greenie 1

Lets get this right, a society, of their own volition and presumably at their own expense, make mooring considerably easier at some locations on the shroppie. This is necessary because the SU, unlike many canals, has a shelf making it difficult to moor. That society does these works on the condition that they are for visitors wanting to stay a day or two only, which probably represents what their members want.

Extended cruisers, blissfully unaware both of the history of the canal (it was the fast track from Birmingham to Livepool, no-one stopped anywhere) and of the history of the moorings, whinge about it.

If you want to stop for longer get your shroppie wheels and your mooring pegs out. I do not like CRT's habit of making it difficult to moor away from VM's but this isn't such an example.

Personally, I'd like to see a class of visitor mooring where all the shiny boaters have to bugger off by eleven am so I can stop for lunch, lazy buggers sleeping off last nights vino get in the way of those of us who start at dawn, but it isn't going to happen. :judge::lol:

Defo greenie for that.

If you gave some folk a present of a £50 note they'd complain and ask for two £20s and a tenner.

I found the 48 hour mooring on the shroppie really helpful. They were often enough, had rings and meant I didn't have to struggle to moor up and I could get close enough to get the dogs off. I did have to practice reversing a few times though. I also found very rural and quiet places where I used to alco and put chains through.