Angling - Who is top man at CRT?

pearley

Featured Posts

A few weeks ago we came across a fishing match that obstructed top and bottom lock landings of two locks. I phoned the trust and was given two email addresses but neither of them responded to my complaint. Hence the question.

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, pegged out on lock landings for a fishing match on the C&H near Mirfield. Can't recall who I emailed tho at CaRT, but i also emailed the fishing club concerned.

A few weeks ago we came across a fishing match that obstructed top and bottom lock landings of two locks. I phoned the trust and was given two email addresses but neither of them responded to my complaint. Hence the question.

Best to email the Waterways Manager for the area you are in you will find out who that is on the CRT website

Best to email the Waterways Manager for the area you are in you will find out who that is on the CRT website

I actually did that first and got no response. Then I phoned CRT and was given two more names but still no response. Perhaps I should complain to Richard Parry.

Ask that they don't do it again next time when you or I are there.

CRT don't organise fishing matches. If you want to tell the organisers not to do it again, you'll have to find out who organised the match, which will probably be the local angling club.

• Greenie 1

CRT don't organise fishing matches. If you want to tell the organisers not to do it again, you'll have to find out who organised the match, which will probably be the local angling club.

An internet search doesn't show who leases that stretch and the events list on the nearest club to it didn't list the match. The blocks concerned were the two either side of the CRT office at Wigan. Those familiar with the area will know that there is a towpath bridge just before the lower bridge and the bank gets progressively higher as you approach the lock. As I approached the lock the last angler asked where I intended to stop and replied 'here'. Even so, he never bothered to lift his keep net as I clambered up the bank.

I am hoping that CRT will tell me who leases that stretch of canal so I can take it up with them.

John Ellis, national fisheries and angling manager for the Canal & River Trust is the 'top man'.

Which waterway was it? CRT hVe a service standard, mandatory, that emails and phone calls are answered within 5 working days (IIRC)

You need to call them to also complain about no answers.

An internet search doesn't show who leases that stretch and the events list on the nearest club to it didn't list the match. The blocks concerned were the two either side of the CRT office at Wigan. Those familiar with the area will know that there is a towpath bridge just before the lower bridge and the bank gets progressively higher as you approach the lock. As I approached the lock the last angler asked where I intended to stop and replied 'here'. Even so, he never bothered to lift his keep net as I clambered up the bank.

I am hoping that CRT will tell me who leases that stretch of canal so I can take it up with them.

I googled it for you. It was the first result when searching for 'canal fishing wigan' http://www.wigandaa.org.uk/

Personally I think it is perfectly reasonable to raise this with the navigation authority and ideally yes the organisers too. For all we know they may be serial offenders and there may have been previous complaints.

They are just taking the pee, they know the rules a well as the next person and if they can't adhere to them their rights to organise fishing matches should be revoked.

CRT are quick enough to jump on serial boating non movers so what is good for the boating goose is good for the fishing gander.

John Ellis, national fisheries and angling manager for the Canal & River Trust is the 'top man'.

Thank you, that was the answer I was hoping for.

I googled it for you. It was the first result when searching for 'canal fishing wigan' http://www.wigandaa.org.uk/

I did say I had looked the closest club but their events list didn't show this one. It still doesn't. Edited by pearley