compost toilets

notebook

Featured Posts

I wonder if it's legal to go around burying your dried out poop. Is it any different to emptying your cassette in the hedge row? (if you don't use blue)

With a composting loo you are burying compost with cassette its not its this weeks poo. My composting loo is only emptied 3 times a year or so, so some of the poo is well on its way by the time it goes into the composting bin

Peter

With a composting loo you are burying compost with cassette its not its this weeks poo. My composting loo is only emptied 3 times a year or so, so some of the poo is well on its way by the time it goes into the composting bin

Peter

No, you are burying air dried poo. If I empty my cassette in a hedge on a sunny day the liquid will drain off and it will also quickly become dried poo. I don't see the difference.

As a regular " wild " camper for forty years I have been burying my shit a lot and it is not a big problem on a small scale. Dried shit is even better of course. Also a lot of animal waste, cattle, horse and especially chicken is dried and then spread on the fields were most of the decomposition takes place.

I think most animals also shit in the woods, don't they?

I luv how defensive some of the "committee" get with topics like this.

Edited by Felshampo
  • Greenie 1

No, you are burying air dried poo. If I empty my cassette in a hedge on a sunny day the liquid will drain off and it will also quickly become dried poo. I don't see the difference.

The important difference

Compost that is too wet can become anaerobic and produce unpleasant smells. Because of this, our composting toilets separate urine from faeces. The collected urine goes through a process of nitrification, resulting in an odourless, bacteria-free liquid that can be used as a fertiliser or leached safely into the ground. The faeces and toilet paper are collected in a holding tank under the toilet seat with a composting medium using a screen to avoid any unpleasant sights and to keep out flies and other unwanted bugs. The tank either has a stirrer or rotation mechanism to distribute the material and allow even decomposition. When the tank is full it is removed and either stored until fully decomposed or added to a compost pile or rapid composter.

Other composting toilets either drain liquid from the waste tank (by which time it is polluted and unsafe) or require the addition of dry material regularly (increasing the volume substantially and therefore requiring a much larger installation) – separation at source is the best solution.

As a regular " wild " camper for forty years I have been burying my shit a lot and it is not a big problem on a small scale. Dried shit is even better of course. Also a lot of animal waste, cattle, horse and especially chicken is dried and then spread on the fields were most of the decomposition takes place.

These are all herbivors. Omnivor and carnivor poop is a different matter entirely. Dog shit for example is far more offensive than cow dung.

MtB

When the tank is full it is removed and either stored until fully decomposed or added to a compost pile or rapid composter.

Not buried on the towpath? Where do you store your heap of decomposing poop on the boat?

I agree that it's pretty harmless to bury the poop, but I still wonder if it is legal. I'm sure these poop burying people don't own the land they bury their poops on, and if I was the land owner, I wouldn't want people coming on to my land to hide their poop. It's all well and good having a device to dessicate your shite on-board, but is there actually any way to legally and conveniently dispose of dessicated shite?

Edited by Delta9

I'm not really seeing the point unless you do actually use the desiccated poo for compost. Sounds far more complex and expensive than a cassette, our cassette takes up no electricity except the flushing water which isn't essential. United Utilities treat the contents for us for no extra charge, apart arguably driving to the elsan disposal. Burying the poo sounds like being more inconvenient and unpleasant, even if it is not as bad for the environment as fresh poo I suspect it may have some impact.

I did quite a lot of research on this when I wrote an article about computing loos, including asking CRT what their advice was about disposal of the urine and dried waste.

It seemed they hadn't really thought about it before, but when they had they advised that the urine should be poured down an Elsan or a normal toilet; they advised against it going into the canal, as it's a fertiliser and encourages weed growth. For the dried waste, their advice was to put it in a bag and put it in the bin. The most environmentally friendly bag would be a paper one, so that when the rubbish goes into landfill, it just rots away.

Have to say, having done the research and talked to owners, if I was having a new boat built, I'd very seriously consider it.

I did quite a lot of research on this when I wrote an article about computing loos, including asking CRT what their advice was about disposal of the urine and dried waste.

presumably you worked calculated it out carefully???ninja.gif

Edited by John V

It seemed they hadn't really thought about it before, but when they had they advised that the urine should be poured down an Elsan or a normal toilet; they advised against it going into the canal, as it's a fertiliser and encourages weed growth. For the dried waste, their advice was to put it in a bag and put it in the bin. The most environmentally friendly bag would be a paper one, so that when the rubbish goes into landfill, it just rots away.

Have to say, having done the research and talked to owners, if I was having a new boat built, I'd very seriously consider it.

Fancy new computerised toilets...

Seriously though, putting human waste in the bin that will end up in landfill is against WHO guidelines, and quite illegal. I would have thought CRT would know better than to advise people that. This is why they have separate bins for dog shite.

Edited by Delta9

Seriously though, putting human waste in the bin that will end up in landfill is against WHO guidelines, and quite illegal. I would have thought CRT would know better than to advise people that. This is why they have separate bins for dog shite.

What about all the Used Babies Disposable Nappies !.

They often are disposed of by chucking them in the bin .

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

presumably you worked calculated it out carefully???ninja.gif

Heard about the constipated mathematician? He worked it out with a pencil.

I personally found it hilarious to read on Facebook about a compost bogger who found that his shite bucket had germinated and sprouted tomato plants from seeds that he had pooped out.

But not as hilarious as the fact that he posted a picture of the contents of his shite bucket on Facebook, and the thought or how he had to scrape it all out.

And where do you think that goes in with rest of the rubbish and landfill I suspect unless their is a hidden compartment on the binner

Peter

However you would be emptying 8 weeks worth of human waste from your cassette which would be a massive quantity compared to just 3 kilos or half a bucket full of mostly composted and dried out waste. yours would be fresh waste. Completely different.

This is the same principle Enzymes / Ueurea, (but not the bag) that I use in my onboard Toilet system & egsisting Holding Tank !.

http://greenupgrader.com/7230/improving-sanitation-with-the-peepoo-bag/

I'm happy with it, just sort of turns the holding tank contents into a liquid fertilizer,,,ish.

Some other Enzymes I have used -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/63g3qmj9qg8eq7w/2014-03-27%2015.58.13.jpg

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2