carry an air horn for the benefit of rude cyclists

dominicebs

Featured Posts

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

not a daft idea! I had some jingling bells on my mountain bike that tinkled away all the time. Everyone heard them from a decent distance, and no-one got a shock!

I've got the same thing going on with my MTB and a cheap bell I got from eBay. Every bit of rough terrain makes it continuously tinkle. It's quite Zen and everyone hears me approaching.

I've got the same thing going on with my MTB and a cheap bell I got from eBay. Every bit of rough terrain makes it continuously tinkle. It's quite Zen and everyone hears me approaching.

I like that idea!

Until now I've been inclined to ping my bell from a long way away. Most peeps look back to see me in the distance. If not, I ping it and damp it immediately with my hand when closer. Some peeps are just plain deaf or totally ignore me, in which case I dismount and stop for a rest and a drink, take some photos of wild flowers, or something.

A bit like when I get stuck following the occasional git in a boat who revels in going slow and holding me up, refusing to let me past. It's not as though my boats are fast so I know he (it's always a he) is doing it just to be awkward. I moor up and make a cuppa tea/lunch/have a beer then carry on later.

"BRING BACK THE BELL"

I always ring at a distance, I have the old fashioned rotary type, which I find easier to ring politely than the newfangled sprung jobbies. It is not rude and does not make you seem like a plonka, in fact it quite often elicits a thank you from pedestrians.

I would love it if other cyclists showed the same courtesy, particularly when I have the workmate out beside the towpath, generator on and power tool in hand...

"BRING BACK THE BELL"

I always ring at a distance, I have the old fashioned rotary type, which I find easier to ring politely than the newfangled sprung jobbies. It is not rude and does not make you seem like a plonka, in fact it quite often elicits a thank you from pedestrians.

I would love it if other cyclists showed the same courtesy, particularly when I have the workmate out beside the towpath, generator on and power tool in hand...

Yes please- I am a little hard of hearing and the dog walks in zig zags-so a little warning gives us time to get both of us out the way-simple and everyone happy and safe

I don't have a bell as it sometimes annoys people. I slow down, deviate (or stop if it's tight) then say thanks or exchange greetings.

There's enough room for all of us with a bit of tolerance and consideration.

However just one in any group can if selfish or thoughtless, create friction with other groups .

Cyclists should slow down near others or stop if required.

Pedestrians should not be deliberately awkward or walk along in a daze texting/phoning etc

Anglers shouldn't block the path with gear.

Dog owners should control their dogs and pick up their sh1t.

Putting tacks down will possibly cause a bike a puncture which is a minor irritation. The consequences for someone in soft thin shoes or an animal could be severe.

Thank goodness for the occasional sensible poster to balance out some of the nonsense being spouted in this thread.

However you choose to categorise people, you will find that in whatever category you choose there will be the occasional idiot. That's true whether the category is boater, pedestrian, dog owner, angler or cyclist.

The sensible ones know what is sensible, without inventing a barrage of rules - the idiots will generally ignore rules anyway, however many oif them you invent.

Lets say we do have "you must have a bell", or "you must never exceed 8mph (or whatever)" rule for towpath cyclists. Who is anybody expecting will police such rules, and how will it be funded?

"BRING BACK THE BELL"

I wholeheartedly agree that cyclists using shared paths should use a bell.

................... but you must realise that using the towpath as a workshop is not in the spirit of a shared path. ...... yes, I noted that you say 'beside the towpath' but I assume that your work impinges on the towpath otherwise you wouldn't be bothered about cyclists.

This below is a campaign being run by the trust at the moment.

I'm not to sure about the last paragraph. Seems a lot at a quarter of a million per mile.

As the numbers of people using the nation’s towpaths reaches record levels we're calling for the reintroduction of old-fashioned manners to preserve the peace.

Built at the time of the Industrial Revolution, towpaths are now busier than ever, with walkers, cyclists, boaters, anglers and runners – not to mention the ducks and other creatures - all sharing the often narrow waterside paths.

Last year more than 400 million visits were made to the our towpaths alone and we're calling on visitors to help protect the special atmosphere which has made these spaces so popular.

Precious green spaces

Richard Parry, chief executive of the Canal & River Trust, explains: “For many people our towpaths are among their most precious green spaces, antidotes to the pace and stress of the modern world and places to relax and unwind. They are ‘super slow ways’, providing a slice of peace and calm through the centres of our busiest cities.

“Today they are more popular than ever, with more investment in improvements and better signage, but with that success there are also problems, which is why we are calling on visitors to help make our canals preserves for old fashioned good manners! We can all help by slowing down and remembering we are all there to enjoy the space.”

Our towpath code ‘Better Towpaths for Everyone’ was produced after consultation with more than 2,000 towpath visitors and interest groups. The top three issues raised were the need for improvements to the towpaths, better signage and better behaviour between visitors.

Last year we secured more than £8m of funding to improve over 30 miles of our towpaths, and we're planning a further £10m investment in the next 12 months.