carry an air horn for the benefit of rude cyclists

dominicebs

Featured Posts

We are moored in Central Birmingham, opposite the NIA. Both sides of the canal have towpaths and there are a lot of cyclists and pedestrians. There are a lot of walls for sound to bounce off. The ringing of cycle bells can have me spinning like a top.

I don't mind though. In fact I get a bit amused at myself. I like it when a cyclist warns me nicely of their presence in whatever way they choose. Ringing a bell is included in "nicely" primarily because that is exactly what it is for.

So, as it seems we are in the minority regardless of whether we pay a license fee or not, the towpaths are officially being given-over to cyclists, being renamed 'National Cycle Network' and no longer being referred to as towpaths. We are the ones who are going to have to 'be on our guard' not them I'm afraid. It must be frustrating if you are hard of hearing and I sympathise as a lot of folks (like moh) despise wearing hearing aids for one reason or another... I really don't know what the answer is for you other than be extremely carefull if you are hard of hearing whilst on the 'NCN'!!!

Edited by DillyDally

We need a campaign to Bring back the Bell!

In London it started some time ago, but perhaps it needs a relaunch nationwide.

http://lcc.org.uk/articles/two-tings-towpaths-campaign-launched

Ringing bells scares people out of their wits ....

If you do it 2 yards away then yes of course it scares people, but if you ring the bell as you slowly approach from a distance and don't get too close then in my experience it never scares anyone.

Edited by blackrose

Vigourously ringing a bell when 3 or 4 yards behind a pedestrian is scary and downright rude, but a single 'ding' when 15-20 yards away, and then a polite 'thank you' does wonders for boater / walker / cyclist relations. If you get no response from the 'ding', then maybe, as mentioned in a previous post, the target may be hard of hearing, so just be polite and pleasant and get off the bike to walk past. If you are in too much of a hurry to do this, catch the bloody bus.

Well said, Sir!

Vigourously ringing a bell when 3 or 4 yards behind a pedestrian is scary and downright rude, but a single 'ding' when 15-20 yards away, and then a polite 'thank you' does wonders for boater / walker / cyclist relations. If you get no response from the 'ding', then maybe, as mentioned in a previous post, the target may be hard of hearing, so just be polite and pleasant and get off the bike to walk past. If you are in too much of a hurry to do this, catch the bloody bus.

Totally agree.

If I've caught the attention of someone or people ahead of me on the towpath and for whatever reason, they are in difficulty getting out of the way (maybe a couple of dogs on leads, or an elderly person with walking stick), I just stop and get off my bike and walk.

You can see them visibly relax as the stress you were causing them evaporates.

MtB

• Greenie 1

The problem with just ringing a bell is that once it has been ringed, it's taken as almost a divine right of passage and for all and sundry to jump out of the way.

The Regent Canal from Angel is a case in point. There is only one thing that will sort this out and that is speed bumps.

My Dearly Beloved has severe hearing loss and tinnitus and very often does not hear the ting of a cyclists bell. This has resulted in him being sworn at on several occasions.

I have the same problem with my hearing. My husband keeps the boat ticking over at walking speed and just yells 'bike 'at me when he see one coming up fast behind me. At least with a bell you can hear where the bike is if someone tries to 'edge' past I still can't hear them till I've jumped 6ft into the air. Bunny Edited by Bunny

Some years ago (when I could hear properly) I was walking the dog along the towpath near Hapton Boatyard IIRC on the L&L. I kept hearing the didtinct "ping" of a bike bell, but each time I looked around there was nowt. Even the dog was getting spooked. Turned out it was a parrot on the other side of the canal. It could do the "mooring pin clunk" too.

My Dearly Beloved has severe hearing loss and tinnitus and very often does not hear the ting of a cyclists bell. This has resulted in him being sworn at on several occasions.

I have similar problems. On the plus side, I don't always hear them swear.

I have similar problems. On the plus side, I don't always hear them swear.

I'm happy that you said that. Made me feel better about my attitude. Green one.

My first though when hearing was mentioned "Well at least they won't hear the swearing.

Before some one gets on my case I have some hearing impairment.

My 'bike has small bell that makes the gentle 'ping' like a hotel lift bell. If deployed at long range doesn't seem to cause panic or aggro.

I don't have a bell as it sometimes annoys people. I slow down, deviate (or stop if it's tight) then say thanks or exchange greetings.

There's enough room for all of us with a bit of tolerance and consideration.

However just one in any group can if selfish or thoughtless, create friction with other groups .

Cyclists should slow down near others or stop if required.

Pedestrians should not be deliberately awkward or walk along in a daze texting/phoning etc

Anglers shouldn't block the path with gear.

Dog owners should control their dogs and pick up their sh1t.

Putting tacks down will possibly cause a bike a puncture which is a minor irritation. The consequences for someone in soft thin shoes or an animal could be severe.

Dropping tacks or letting an airhorn off in someones ear is a good way of getting a poke in the eye. Speeding bikes are a bit of a pain but I am sure there are worse things.

Would also be classed as an assault as well.

have you not seen how overgrown the towpaths are - i took my lad from the anchor at coven to penkridge along the towpath on saturday and struggled to get through some areas,

what a pathetic idea to blow a horn is someones face,

have you not seen how overgrown the towpaths are - i took my lad from the anchor at coven to penkridge along the towpath on saturday and struggled to get through some areas,

The L&L, I only know really around Leeds area is quite a wide towpath and has its fair share of idiots on bikes as well as the good.

Some days ago, in Leicester, at North Lock, which has a narrow towpath, I was "tinged" by one of the cycling fraternity. Giving him thanks for letting me know of his presence I was told that I should not obstruct the towpath, whilst pulling the boat into the lock mooring.

Would also be classed as an assault as well.

Not at all. By the speed of his approach he obviously hasn't seen me so I am making sure he is aware of my presence before he hurts me or someone else.

George ex nb Alton retired