Rope ends - what to do with them?

Athy

Featured Posts

I have just bought new ropes for the boat which I am selling. More accurately, I have bought 26 metres of rope in one piece. Now, I know that I shall cut the rope into three equal lengths, but how do I then stop the ends of each piece from becoming unravelled/ frayed/ whatever it's called? I'm not a knotter so I don't feel up to trying to splice the ends; is there something (twine? gaffer tape? wire?) which I can wind round the ends to stop them from fraying?

If you still think splicing is beyond you you could always whip it.

Use thin string or thick fishing line as follows :

whip_knot.gif

Wrap as tightly as possible - Once you have got as far as Pic 3, pull down end A until the loop at the top is pulled well into the whipping, cut off both ends. It can then be left or dipped into varnish to seal it.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

What is "self amalgamating tape"?

It is a 'bodge' and an obvious indicator that you are not a 'boater' - it is worse than leaving all the lock gates open, having a pumpout toilet and cruising with your fenders down - all combined.

Splicing is a useful (and simple to learn skill) you cannot join a rope, put in an 'eye', make a Turks Head or a Monkeys Paw with "bodge tape"

It is a 'bodge' and an obvious indicator that you are not a 'boater' - it is worse than leaving all the lock gates open, having a pumpout toilet and cruising with your fenders down - all combined.

Splicing is a useful (and simple to learn skill) you cannot join a rope, put in an 'eye', make a Turks Head or a Monkeys Paw with "bodge tape"

Say what you're thinking, don't hold back.

I would splice my ropes.

On a boat you are selling, if the material is plastic, do the burned end trick, otherwise heat shrink tubing is easy

Or tie a knot in it

Richard

Err...

You can't make a Monekey's Paw with splicing either.

ninja.gif

What is "self amalgamating tape"?

Its tape which dissolves into itself thus making a filthy sticky black plasticky mess on the ends of the lines you are making from your new length of rope.

MtB

Err...

You can't make a Monekey's Paw with splicing either.

I didnt actually say you could - careful choice of words.

However (I hope you'll agree) splicing does give you rope 'handling' skills and will make things such as a Monkeys Paw much easier to make - you can even go onto making fenders, buttons and tip-cats once you have the 'feel' for the rope.

Why use self-amalgamating tape when the plastic rope itself is self-amalgamating under the influence of heat? Warm the end in a gas flame and smooth it together with a suitable tool, eg a piece of aluminium foil held in an oven glove. (Or, if you have asbestos fingers, forget the oven glove.)

ETA - beat me to it, Martin, by being more succinct!

Edited by Machpoint005

Thanks for your comments - but for me knot skills are not simple. My mind does not work that way. My entire repertoire is bow, reef knot and attempted round turn & two half hitches.

Why use self-amalgamating tape when the plastic rope itself is self-amalgamating under the influence of heat? Warm the end in a gas flame and smooth it together with a suitable tool, eg a piece of aluminium foil held in an oven glove. (Or, if you have asbestos fingers, forget the oven glove.)

ETA - beat me to it, Martin, by being more succinct!

You have a point, Mr .Mach - I shall try this.

Heat shrink is a rubber type soft tube available in various sizes on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Non-Slip-Handle-Textured-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-20mm-Red-0-5-metre-/251094959764?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item3a766d0694

There are lots of sizes and colours from many suppliers.

Edited by bigste

If its nylon, hold a Stanley knife in a flame till red hot, then it will slice through the rope literally like butter, leaving a very tidy end. Depending on what the rope is to be used for, remember that a back splice can jam in a rope wound round a bollard, so I tend to finish all rope with a hot blade.

I find the best use of a rope end is using to beat naughty school boys.
Did me no harm in the 60's

I take it you mean that beating naughty school boys did you no harm?

You gotta laugh

Traditionalists will always enjoy a good poo poo

There is nothing to compare to a decent splicing but until you have the time and ability to master your knotting and splicing skills, using the tape method is a simple and easy way to get your lines up and running and looking neat. The heating method can also look untidy and sometimes leaves a knobly bitter end.

Once your happy with your splicing skills just cut off the taped end and splice to your hearts content. All youve lost is an inch of line or rope.

The beauty of not being a proper "boater" is your ability to 'make do and mend'

As Chimneychain says splice the ends it's not that difficult, or another alternative is to use electrical insulating tape wrapped tightly where you will cut the rope with a very sharp blade, worked for me when I was salmon farming up here in Scotland and always stayed in place even in salt water, so give that a try.

Thanks Willie. I assume that this tape is a variety of the self-amalgamating tape mentioned above?

You may not think that splicing ropes is difficult. I am envious. When I look at those step by step diagrams of how to tie various knots my brain sort of shuts down.