Braunston this weekend.

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

Several videos from the event now on You Tube from "MrGig2010", who, if my memory is correct, is a forum member.

We are in this one, (in 2 different sections)......

"Odin" has his good friend "Lee" on board - they met at the same show last year.

"Are you parading Sickle?"

Love it!!

The reason was, it was Sunday afternoon, some boats which had paraded in the morning were moving off to go home. He was asking if we were coming back again, or if it was 'goodbye, Sickle'. Bream can be seen leaving and waving goodbye just as we come back under the marina entrance.

You're right Alan, "MrGig2010" is me.

I've created about 8 or 10 videos of Braunston, trying to have themes for each, and have probably used the best clips. I'll publish a full list when I've finished.

If people wish to search for that username on Youtube, they'll find the completed films, along with the music, steam and motorsport stuff I'm also interested in.

Edited by jake_crew

You're right Alan, "MrGig2010" is me.

I've created about 8 or 10 videos of Braunston, trying to have themes for each, and have probably used the best clips. I'll publish a full list when I've finished.

If people wish to search for that username on Youtube, they'll find the completed films, along with the music, steam and motorsport stuff I'm also interested in.

Some cracking videos there, I've subscribed. Thank you.

None of the tunnel tugs were wide beamed, all of Bushells tunnel tugs were 49 feet long and narrow beamed, they wouldn't have been much use as a tunnel tug if they weren't

I have a fairly comprehensive transcript of the Bulls Bridge 'cardex' system which lists the details of both carrying and maintenance craft. No. 209 is described as an exTunnel Tug, built by Bushell Bros. in 1931 of wooden construction. Its dimensions are given as 59'6 x 12'0 x 4'9½, with the waterline to cabin top given as 5'9.

I'm intrigued. Which boat are you talking about Pete? Certainly not Hasty or any of the other Blisworth/Braunston tugs. I know Antelope and Buffalo were wider but they weren't strictly tunnel tugs.

Paul

I have a fairly comprehensive transcript of the Bulls Bridge 'cardex' system which lists the details of both carrying and maintenance craft. No. 209 is described as an exTunnel Tug, built by Bushell Bros. in 1931 of wooden construction. Its dimensions are given as 59'6 x 12'0 x 4'9½, with the waterline to cabin top given as 5'9.

Was it a GJCCo steam tunnel tug

I can add no more than I have written above, but of most interest is that maintenance boat No. 209 is described as an "exTunnel Tug".

The GJCCo did have a wide tug that filled the regents tunnel, it was about 12ft wide and steam powered. It was a monstrously ugly thing and looked like it was clad in correlated iron. There is a small film clip from the early twenties that shows it emerging from the regents tunnel. The same clip shows 'Pioneer' steaming down the padding ton arm.

I'm pretty sure that the steam powered tunnel tugs were decommissioned by 1936

Thinking on it, the boat you describe wouldn't have made it through any of the big tunnels like Braunston or Blisworth perhaps it was a decommissioned Bridgewater tugs I'm unsure of their exact dimensions but the boat you describe wasn't far off. But none of them were built by Bushells.

I'm unsure why a tunnel tug was built in 1936 when the Braunston and Blisworth tunnel tugs had been withdrawn by then because they were obsolete.

I think that without any other information other than this one entry it remains that all Bushells steam powered tunnel tugs were narrow.

Thinking on it, the boat you describe wouldn't have made it through any of the big tunnels like Braunston or Blisworth perhaps it was a decommissioned Bridgewater tugs I'm unsure of their exact dimensions but the boat you describe wasn't far off. But none of them were built by Bushells.

I'm unsure why a tunnel tug was built in 1936 when the Braunston and Blisworth tunnel tugs had been withdrawn by then because they were obsolete.

I think that without any other information other than this one entry it remains that all Bushells steam powered tunnel tugs were narrow.

Why would it not fit through Braunston or Blisworth?

I think the Bridgewater tugs were generally around 9' to 10' beam.

I presume the 4'9½" is the 'moulded depth', ie with narrow boat style vessels the hull depth from gunwale to bottom?

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to uploading some of my pictures of the weekend.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/imulford/sets/72157645722537385/

Also a few videos.

Apologies for the quality of the pictures and video, I mostly used my phone on the Saturday due to the weather!

Edited by IanM

Finally got around to putting some of our pictures in the blog here.

Not our best efforts, but it gives a flavour of this year's event which was the quietest we have yet attended, (other than the ruddy music in the beer tent, which was probably the noisiest yet!....)

EDIT:

It's not always obvious in Blogger, but clicking on a picture will usually give you a larger view.

Edited by alan_fincher

Finally got around to uploading some of my pictures of the weekend.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/imulford/sets/72157645722537385/

Also a few videos.

Apologies for the quality of the pictures and video, I mostly used my phone on the Saturday due to the weather!

Who is that handsome steerer at 4'30" onwards?! :D

They were discussing being 3 inches from the moored boats on the turn, a bit closer than I planned!