West Stockwith June 2014

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

It's bad enough in NC when there is some flow! Wouldn't fancy it in a narrowboat!

We try to aim to get there at high water slack which makes it much easier. There was hardly any flow when we got there on Saturday. Small tides.

Should have joined us. We don't bite!

Lol, I ever imagined you did but I had a prior engagement Saturday night. I did however pass say hello to some of your party moored next to the bridge on Sunday morning whilst admiring the shiny hardware :)

Hope you have a good trip to Eyemouth, there used to be a wolf fish residing in a cave below the cliffs (George) who had the dubious claim to fame of being the most photographed fish in Britain, not sure if he is still there or not?

Here's a video of Paul entering Stockwith Lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y4025jhUHQE

If I can do that on Monday I will be a very happy chap!!

That technique is what the lockie there has advised me to do.....what can possibly go wrong???

Just hope I get the tide timing right?....do you know how much fresh etc was on when that was filmed?

Cheers

Gareth

If the rain that is forecast materialises over the weekend you could have an interesting run in Monday !

Yes.......!!!

If it's looking a bit mad we can always leave it a couple of days....we aren't on that tight a schedule for that very reason.

Cheers

Gareth

Just hope I get the tide timing right?....do you know how much fresh etc was on when that was filmed?

No fresh and the tide hadn't been ebbing long.

That technique is what the lockie there has advised me to do.....what can possibly go wrong???

It helps if the lock's ready or you start floating off to Keadby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Cl4YhZeNTko

Well whilst my attempt wasn't quite as faultless as Unmani's I didn't break anything! We did clip the bushes by the lock entrance but I think I needed more river to turn...I should have gone further over to the far bank before turning around.....I was also surprised that the tide didn't push me backwards more.....I had to use a fair bit of reverse.

Thankfully the lockie had the lock all set for me...I couldn't get him on the VHF or phone....leaving a message on the voicemail did make me wonder what my plan b was going to be!...however he then did radio me and helped to guide me in when I said it was my first time.

So as long as you follow instructions...helped by Unmani's video then it really isn't as bad as others say.

Cheers

Gareth

Well whilst my attempt wasn't quite as faultless as Unmani's I didn't break anything!

I do have other videos that I'm not allowed to show can't find right now.

I was also surprised that the tide didn't push me backwards more.....I had to use a fair bit of reverse.

There's a big eddy by the lock entrance that can be kind of handy.

If you arrive early, on an incoming tide, you can pull against the wall and wait for high water…. quite a sun trap.

So as long as you follow instructions then it really isn't as bad as others say.

and now you have the beautiful Chesterfield all to yourself!

Actually, it was really busy this weekend. We saw 6 moving boats!!!

​So please, make sure you tell everyone how bad the weed is, how shallow the canal is and that The White Swan at Drakeholes is still shut.

Oh, and for God's sake, don't tell anyone how stunning the Turner Wood flight is.

• 1 year later...

With apologies for reopening an old thread, here's a video of our entrance to West Stockwith earlier this month.

I had turned in about the same place as STALWART, but I turned to starboard to put the bows in slower moving water. I then had to wait for a couple of minutes upstream of the lock, to allow the other narrowboat into the lock first, once it had been emptied.

As you can see below, my GPS thought that I was over a mile off course, and also that the Trent starts at Gainsborough. [To be fair, I was using a chart showing the whole of the UK, and for a purpose that it was not designed for!]

post-13477-0-82557500-1439619271_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy