Boat polishing

Featured Posts

I am considering polishing my boat. However i work during the week and dont fancy starting the job then having to spend every weekend for the rest of the summer doing it. My question is ho wlong shoudl this job take and what about power tools to speed it up

On the advice of our painter, I used Auto Glym products.

Quite expensive - about £40 for shampoo (the first time I have ever used shampoo on a boat...), wax, and polish, plus a special applicator for the wax and a chamois leather. I can list the precise products if you are interested.

Anyway, it took about an hour to do each side of the boat (seven passes!), and the results are fantastic. Keeping it smart requires ten mins per side with hot water and sponge, and then chamois. I think I will only need to do the full works once or twice a year.

I was advised very strongly not to use an electric polisher....

dscf3472.jpg

I am considering polishing my boat. However i work during the week and dont fancy starting the job then having to spend every weekend for the rest of the summer doing it. My question is ho wlong shoudl this job take and what about power tools to speed it up

To a great extent it depends upon what paint you have on your boat, (and how well it was applied)

If in any doubt at all - - contact your paint manufacturers (if you know who it was) and ask them.

If you don't know which paint it was - ythen Scholar Gypsy's post above is a good place to start.

(Our paint is a two pack polyurethane - and happily takes the gentle use of a polishing machine)

On the advice of our painter, I used Auto Glym products.

Quite expensive - about £40 for shampoo (the first time I have ever used shampoo on a boat...), wax, and polish, plus a special applicator for the wax and a chamois leather. I can list the precise products if you are interested.

Anyway, it took about an hour to do each side of the boat (seven passes!), and the results are fantastic. Keeping it smart requires ten mins per side with hot water and sponge, and then chamois. I think I will only need to do the full works once or twice a year.

I was advised very strongly not to use an electric polisher....

dscf3472.jpg

That woudl be great if you know which products - they have loads and I want to use one that is safe

I should start by saying I am not a great polisher - I said to the painter I might do this twice a year. Anyway, I am using (this is a better website):

• bodywork shampoo conditioner, plus hot water
  • sponge (generic!)
  • hi tech aqua dry chamois
  • super resin polish
  • perfect polish applicator
  • Aqua wax kit, which includes two low lint cloth

And the routine is

1. wash down the roof, and sidedecks
  2. shampoo side panel
  3. rinse in clean water
  4. chamois to get it dry
  5. apply polish with special applicator
  6. polish with lint free cloth
  7. apply wax (spray)
  8. polish with lint free cloth
  9. turn boat around and repeat.

Fantastic looking boats, well worth the effort, puts mine to shame at the moment, as it's covered in dust n grit from the Bank Erosion works opposite !.

(Pathfinder 2,,,, 'First In' ,,,,Mean anything to you!, or do I need more Donuts)

Funny enough if you mean the Squadrons I think the boat was named after them as there is a Lancaster Bomber be painted inside the Back Cabin.

Only the previous owner would know I guess.

Ok - so I have purchased a load of Auto Glym and am going to do my boat the first weekend I have free. If takes me until Christmas I shall blame you all - far easier than taking responsibiity for my own actions dont you find.

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated as always

Well I only tend to worry about the Bigger scratches, the smaller ones tend to T Cut out, and polish up.

So This -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/johnqs5xuwivpid/IMAG0234.jpg

And This -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9rbagi1qen37ge/IMAG0235.jpg

Fills & Polishes out to This -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/37r0j5kz9gm5h1w/IMAG0247.jpg

And This -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/np2z4zmyayi3ret/IMAG0253.jpg

It's not to bad.