Beach fishing......

Featured Posts

Found it fascinating watching a few guys fishing from Slapton Sands yesterday. It looked much more interesting and challenging that drowning maggots in the canal, and I guess they get to keep their catch for tea.

It struck me that Slapton has quite a steep descent into the sea which I suspect is a good thing.

Any body on here into this? Any tips for anybody that might want to take it up?

Found it fascinating watching a few guys fishing from Slapton Sands yesterday. It looked much more interesting and challenging that drowning maggots in the canal, and I guess they get to keep their catch for tea.

It struck me that Slapton has quite a steep descent into the sea which I suspect is a good thing.

Don't forget your camera.....

Used to do it but never mastered the skill of long distance casting - I could do 100 yards but the experts were 300 yards +

To catch Bass you need to cast out to just behing the 3rd wave out, Cod will come 'right-in' and dog-fish (Rock Salmon) are a nuisance but do break up the time.

"Beach casting" off the rocks is much more productive as you are in deeper watr straight away.

Slapton has indeed got a steep shelf. It was also used for live D day rehearsals with some fatal results.

Many fatal results, something that needs to be remembered

Richard

I didn't but yes I got a picture or two of one that was caught.......

Good!

Can you imagine drowning in one of those <shudder>

Richard

And I'm out, beach fishing is a much nicer subject

Used to do it but never mastered the skill of long distance casting - I could do 100 yards but the experts were 300 yards +

To catch Bass you need to cast out to just behing the 3rd wave out, Cod will come 'right-in' and dog-fish (Rock Salmon) are a nuisance but do break up the time.

"Beach casting" off the rocks is much more productive as you are in deeper watr straight away.

Cheers.... A sensible reply.......

Good!

Can you imagine drowning in one of those <shudder>

Richard

And I'm out, beach fishing is a much nicer subject

I know the history of Slapton, hence I made sure we came.

It's a stunningly beautiful place that betrays what happened all those years ago.

Beach fishing around the U.K. can either be very productive or a complete waste of time. If you rock up on the off chance it will almost certainly be the latter. If you take some time chatting to the locals you might eventually work out what part of the tide within the ideal part of the lunar phase is good in that particular area. Then, armed with the right bait, which will almost certainly involve lots of effort rather than expense, you will be in with a good chance. But even with the perfect tidal conditions, you will probably need to be out either late evening, early morning or more likely, at night.

Beach fishing around the U.K. can either be very productive or a complete waste of time. If you rock up on the off chance it will almost certainly be the latter. If you take some time chatting to the locals you might eventually work out what part of the tide within the ideal part of the lunar phase is good in that particular area. Then, armed with the right bait, which will almost certainly involve lots of effort rather than expense, you will be in with a good chance. But even with the perfect tidal conditions, you will probably need to be out either late evening, early morning or more likely, at night.

Cheers.

Beach fishing around the U.K. can either be very productive or a complete waste of time.......Then, armed with the right bait, which will almost certainly involve lots of effort rather than expense, you will be in with a good chance.

It's also useful to employ small children to dig for said bait ( usually rag or lug), when you are not asking them to skin rabbits or clean trout or sweep chimneys, as my dad used to do. (Sandcastles???? Pah!!!)

Well maybe not the chimneys bit but everything else!!!!!!

A day out fishing in Arnside or Greenodd......oh happy days :-)))

The mackeral get close inshore off Slapton, Martin, precisely because it shelves so steeply.

If you found a tackle shop you could get yourself an inexpensive fairly beefy spinning rod and reel, a few sets of mackeral feathers and a small spinner or two, some weights, possibly about two or three ounces, some swivels, and away you go.

I would watch whose fishing. The holiday makers will be having a dabble on the off-chance. The locals will know where to be.

Ask the guy in the tackle shop how to tackle up or do some research on't net

I am working overlooking Portsmouth harbour just now and you can see the gulls going crazy over patches of water where the mackerel are driving the baitfish up. That and mullet the size of submarines in the marina.

Harbour fishing is far less effort and there will be places good for bass, flatfish even eels. Plus you can usually harass the wrasse while you are waiting.

The mackeral get close inshore off Slapton, Martin, precisely because it shelves so steeply.

If you found a tackle shop you could get yourself an inexpensive fairly beefy spinning rod and reel, a few sets of mackeral feathers and a small spinner or two, some weights, possibly about two or three ounces, some swivels, and away you go.

I would watch whose fishing. The holiday makers will be having a dabble on the off-chance. The locals will know where to be.

Ask the guy in the tackle shop how to tackle up or do some research on't net

That's good advice.....beach casting can be really exciting compared with canal fishing (what I remember of it!)

Have a go DH!

That's good advice.....beach casting can be really exciting compared with canal fishing (what I remember of it!)

Have a go DH!

I have a light telescopic spinning rod and small fixed spool reel that I take on holiday when I go to the West country a few lures and odds and bobs in a small plastic box that fits in a pocket. Perfect kit for rock scrambling. No great bags and boxes of the canal bank fisherman

I haven't done it myself but on the Natal South Coast they use kites to take bait out and drop it past the breakers. The bait hangs on a light thread and a jerk of the wrist snaps the thread and drops the bait.

Edited by Burgiesburnin

I have a light telescopic spinning rod and small fixed spool reel that I take on holiday when I go to the West country a few lures and odds and bobs in a small plastic box that fits in a pocket. Perfect kit for rock scrambling. No great bags and boxes of the canal bank fisherman

My own canal fishing involves a light spinning rod plus a small bag holding a few lures, forceps, forceps and a small flask. I fish most days in the winter and usually walk a couple of miles. There are alternatives to lugging a mountain of gear!

I haven't done it myself but on the Natal South Coast they use kites to take bait out and drop it past the breakers. The bait hangs on a light thread and a jerk of the wrist snaps the thread and drops the bait.

Have done very similar when shark fishing, we used a balloon clipped to the line with a clothes peg, the balloon drifts/floats out with the wind, give it a jerk and the bait drops, alternatively if the shark are surface feeding let the shark take the bait which disconnects from the balloon with the 'take'.

Yup..a useful hint...

Instead of tying the fishing line directly to the weight...I put a thin cable tie through the weight loop and then tie to the cable tie.

The wire weight loops.. tend to cut the line and you can lose a lot of weights...whereas the nylon line slides against the nylon cable tie...distributes the casting strain over a larger area... and keeps your weight attached a lot longer.

We plan to do a bit of fishing off the boat on our way up the east coast in a couple of weeks. As of yet despite trying few times we have had no success sad.png

All the gear and no idea laugh.png

The guy who runs one of the fishing trip boats from Wells even checked over our gear last time and said it was fine, yet despite fishing next to them whilst they were pulling up fish after fish we got nothing rolleyes.gif

We are determined we will catch something this year though. Hopefully not sea sicknesswacko.png

We plan to do a bit of fishing off the boat on our way up the east coast in a couple of weeks. As of yet despite trying few times we have had no success sad.png

All the gear and no idea laugh.png

The guy who runs one of the fishing trip boats from Wells even checked over our gear last time and said it was fine, yet despite fishing next to them whilst they were pulling up fish after fish we got nothing rolleyes.gif

We are determined we will catch something this year though. Hopefully not sea sicknesswacko.png

Use the force young Skywalker

• 4 weeks later...

I've just started having a go near Skipsea. Caught a small fish, not sure what it was, so I took a picture then threw it back.

Looked on Google, found out it was a 'Ling' so I went back into google, this time images only, and it came up with pages of very nice looking Chinese girls!

Ling are normally deep water fish.

Though I caught one in Coverack bay on mackeral feathers. The fisherman who took us out for the afternoon was amazed because he had never seen a ling of any size caught in such shallow water so close to the shore before