Mobile Phones & Mobile Broadband

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

So next naive question.......

If I try for a SIM only contract, is my current phone, (HTC One S, supplied by Carphone Warehouse 2 years ago on contract with Talkmobile), likely to be locked or not ?

Yes, I know I could try another SIM from a different network in it, but nobody in this household has a phone using the same sized SIM.

How can I find out, other than by acquiring a SIM that doesn't want to work in it?

If I try for a SIM only contract, is my current phone, (HTC One S, supplied by Carphone Warehouse 2 years ago on contract with Talkmobile), likely to be locked or not ?

Yes, I know I could try another SIM from a different network in it, but nobody in this household has a phone using the same sized SIM.

How can I find out, other than by acquiring a SIM that doesn't want to work in it?

If your on contract at the moment, ring your network up to get it unlocked - it should cost nothing unless your on PAYG.

alan_fincher, on 23 Jun 2014 - 2:46 PM, said:

Highly likely to be locked I would say, I believe the only way to check is to use a SIM card from another provider or give Talk Mobile a bell.

Some providers do make a charge to supply an unlock code - from memory it cost Jan around £20 with Orange EE though she was still in contract with them and just wanted to use her phone with an alternative SIM whilst abroad.

There may be no charge if you are out of contract with them or have exceeded any minimum term within which they reserve the right to charge you for unlocking, you are likely to have exceeded that now though.

Highly likely to be locked I would say, I believe the only way to check is to use a SIM card from another provider or give Talk Mobile a bell.

Some providers do make a charge to supply an unlock code - from memory it cost Jan around £20 with Orange EE though she was still in contract with them and just wanted to use her phone with an alternative SIM whilst abroad.

There may be no charge if you are out of contract with them or have exceeded any minimum term within which they reserve the right to charge you for unlocking, you are likely to have exceeded that now though.

I believe the minimum term is 6 months, it should be free after that. - don't quote me, but I'm 80% sure.

Edit..

Okay, looks like wrong - here's some fees...

http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/phone-networks/how-to-leave-your-mobile-network-pacs-and-unlocking/

Edited by Robbo

I recently changed from T Mobile to Three for both Phone and Mobile Broadband and it is a breath of fresh air. T Mobile must have the worst customer service I have ever come across, I actually lost the will to live when trying to discuss options and decided to completely cancel the contract despite having to pay a penalty on one of the phones that was with them. Their website is atrocious and often didnt work properly.

I walked into my local 3 shop and was very impressed with the service and I have had cause to speak to and mail their customer service too which was extremely prompt and efficient.

I have just received my first E Bill and the online documentation is easy to find and go through.

Coverage so far has not been a problem including a few days I was in Braunston.

I went for SIM only phone plus 5GB Mi Fi which costs around £20 per month.

Regarding Unlocking I remember doing this myself on older phones for only a few £'s on the internet but this time opted to go into a mobile store opposite the Three shop and they did it there and then for £20.

If you decide to get the phone unlocked and go to another provider there could be some settings that will need updating. I actually found an error on the Three website with one of them (needed a lower case entry rather than upper case in one place in the Access Point Names) and when I mailed and told them they phoned to thank me! I did suggest a years free subscription would be well received but having just got the first bill I see they didnt go that far....

Also be sure to clean up and synchronise contacts before swapping the SIM.

Well based on Geoff's and other comments, I'm tempted to try a SIM only contract for the Three One-Plan in my current phone.

I have just managed to borrow an O2 SIM of the right size, and that worked in it, so presumably its already unlocked.

That said, article like this seem to say that EE is just about the best overall on any measure, (and Vodafone the worst, which I think I have already worked out!).

Yet, I don't on here seem to be seeing people coming out in favour of EE being overwhelmingly better than O2 or Three.

Further comments anybody, before I sign my life away to something else unsatisfactory? :lol:

Well based on Geoff's and other comments, I'm tempted to try a SIM only contract for the Three One-Plan in my current phone.

I have just managed to borrow an O2 SIM of the right size, and that worked in it, so presumably its already unlocked.

That said, article like this seem to say that EE is just about the best overall on any measure, (and Vodafone the worst, which I think I have already worked out!).

Yet, I don't on here seem to be seeing people coming out in favour of EE being overwhelmingly better than O2 or Three.

Further comments anybody, before I sign my life away to something else unsatisfactory? laugh.png

That report is good general info, but canals are often found in valleys, other rural/challenging locations etc, so its not a completely general case. Anecdotally, people have found Three good in these types of areas. If its for general use, go with EE; if its for broadband internet and/or phone coverage specifically while on the canal network, go with Three.

Further comments anybody, before I sign my life away to something else unsatisfactory? :lol:

This is totally unscientific.....

Jan tends to get a signal and a better signal strength overall than I do.

She is on EE I am on Three.

Other things to consider-

don't forget with Three it is 3G or nothing.

When Jan's phone drops back to 2G she can still make calls and get a very slow but just about usable internet connection, Three doesn't drop back to 2G at all, it just stops working.

I used to think Three were the dogs do dah''s but I am less convinced theses days.

The only thing that will keep me with them is the new 'feel at home' coverage that will include France from next month.

This is totally unscientific.....

Jan tends to get a signal and a better signal strength overall than I do.

She is on EE I am on Three.

Other things to consider-

don't forget with Three it is 3G or nothing.

When Jan's phone drops back to 2G she can still make calls and get a very slow but just about usable internet connection, Three doesn't drop back to 2G at all, it just stops working.

I used to think Three were the dogs do dah''s but I am less convinced theses days.

The only thing that will keep me with them is the new 'feel at home' coverage that will include France from next month.

I have 4G with 3 both on my phone and since buying my new mifi also for my laptop though have to say since leaving Birmingham area except my short visit to London Friday and Saturday have not had much 4G signal

I have 4G with 3 both on my phone and since buying my new mifi also for my laptop though have to say since leaving Birmingham area except my short visit to London Friday and Saturday have not had much 4G signal

Last time I had 4G on Three was when we were in Central Manchester a couple of months back. It was noticeably faster but until the coverage is better it's not much of an advantage.

We were just South of Birmingham at the weekend at Alvechurch and then the airport and there was no sign of 4G at all. Too far from the centre I reckon.

Maybe EmmaB (the little darling) has some input ?

We have both the 3 - One Plan Sim Only - and as reserve we have a minimum contract with EE (£7.50 per month fo not very much) this is just as emergency contact use and it has worked so far - where we dont get a Three signal we do get an EE signal.

We looked at unlocking the EE (Orange) phone and they quoted us £99

We have both the 3 - One Plan Sim Only - and as reserve we have a minimum contract with EE (£7.50 per month fo not very much) this is just as emergency contact use and it has worked so far - where we dont get a Three signal we do get an EE signal.

That must be a while ago. I think unlocking has to be free after you have had the contract for a while now, but they are allowed to charge an admin fee, EE quote an admin free of £20.42 on their web site, which I think it on the high side compared to what others change. On Three you just seem to fill out a form online asking for it to be unlocked, and I don't see any mention of a charge.

Further comments anybody, before I sign my life away to something else unsatisfactory? laugh.png

Just to qualify my comments. I have never had Mobile Broadband from EE/T Mobile so can't comment on their coverage. I had a phone contract with them (plus 2 children also) but I used a combination of a donated Three Dongle at £15 a time/month plus a Vodafone Dongle (which I managed to get before they stopped allowing the allowance to carry forward) for on the boat.There is no Vodafone signal at my mooring. But regardless of EE coverage their service and website is so awful I would never go back to them again. It was bad beyond bad and they had the cheek to call me after I cancelled asking what they could do to make me stay after near on 8 years. If they had tried to help me earlier I would have thought about it!

That must be a while ago. I think unlocking has to be free after you have had the contract for a while now, but they are allowed to charge an admin fee, EE quote an admin free of £20.42 on their web site, which I think it on the high side compared to what others change. On Three you just seem to fill out a form online asking for it to be unlocked, and I don't see any mention of a charge.

It was in October last year when we took out the 3 contract - we were going to change the phone over to 3.

We bought the phone from EE (orange) about a year previous and had a sim only contract. We had been with orange for about 8 or 10 years (pretty much forever in mobile phone terms).

Jan unlocked her old iPhone on Orange/EE in contract for around £20, iPhones tend to cost a bit more as it has to be done via. Apple as they register it on their data base as 'unlocked' using the IMEI number so that each time you update the iOS via. iTunes it doesn't get locked again.

£99 sounds like somebody either didn't know what they were talking about or they were taking the Mickey....

I reckon it won't be long before networks are forced to share masts.

It was mentioned on the news yesterday.

The mobile co's reckon there would be limited gain for customers as they duplicate masts in popular places already....not much point in sharing them they reckon.....

How true that is I have no idea...

The mobile co's reckon there would be limited gain for customers as they duplicate masts in popular places already....not much point in sharing them they reckon.....

How true that is I have no idea...

But they would say that wouldn't they.

If they were forced to share anyway maybe it would make economical sense to club together for new masts.

But they would say that wouldn't they.

If they were forced to share anyway maybe it would make economical sense to club together for new masts.

That was the response from the govt. geezer that suggested it, but as the telecos pointed out pretty much all of the UK was covered already and new masts were not needed in many remaining areas.

Plus Lots of providers already share masts and network capacity already.

Much of what was being proposed was nothing more than a bit of a gimmick to curry political favour....

I reckon it won't be long before networks are forced to share masts.

I think you're right - we're going to see more and more collaboration to cover their black spots because it's so hard to put a new mast up now. A number of years ago Orange tried to put up a mast near to our house and the local opposition (led by two doctors) put paid to it.

Apparently the kids regularly standing at the nearby bus stop would suffer long term damage through being regularly exposed to it. Well that's what the doctors told us in the letter they put through our door. And of course they should know. Shouldn't they?

Apparently the kids regularly standing at the nearby bus stop would suffer long term damage through being regularly exposed to it. Well that's what the doctors told us in the letter they put through our door. And of course they should know. Shouldn't they?

Not sure about that, talking to someone the other day who went into an NHS walk in centre, he was concerned about a lump that was appearing on his rib, doc told him it was nothing to worry about, just leave it. He then got an appointment at his local surgery and the doc said it could posibly be cancer and they would investigate and, depending on the result, remove it.

Doesn't inspire much confidence.

I think you're right - we're going to see more and more collaboration to cover their black spots because it's so hard to put a new mast up now. A number of years ago Orange tried to put up a mast near to our house and the local opposition (led by two doctors) put paid to it.

I've personally designed hundreds of mobile phone mast sites. They do share sites, masts or locations all the time.

Planning has never been refused on health grounds, the government commissioned a report specifically to prove mobiles harmless so this couldn't happen. There are rules though on multi-operator sites that get quite complicated. I had to design one an extra 5m higher to avoid a pedestrian bridge being in the "Zone of danger".

The best way to get them to clear orf is to point to alternative sites eg a watertower that would have less visual impact.

Edit to add: Also if the height is under 15m, they give 30 days notice, pin up an a4 sheet and wait. After 30 days off they go, so it's not so hard to find a site in the countryside. Who is going to notice an a4 sheet in the middle of nowhere?

Edited by boathunter

UPDATE:

(This is a "good news and bad news" posting!)

The Good News

----------------------

The SIM Only "3" One Plan is still available, and the "eat as much as you like" data does indeed include unlimited tethering.

So sorry Emma, ("sweetie"), but on this occasion it is others that have correctly worked their way through all the wording, and you were simply wrong, despite insisting on insulting those who were not.

The Bad News

--------------------

I signed up for it, but there is insufficient "3" signal at my home address to give the phone any chance of working at home. An occasional "sniff" of a couple of bars in the garden, but nothing in the house.

I tried the SIM in my son's far more modern state of the art phone, and it is no better.

So it seems that although I can have unlimited data, and with tethering, I can't have it at home, (or even phone calls and texts).

(It's probably worth adding that both O2 and Vodafone are on the limits here too, but considerably better than "3" - I don't know about the others).

There is of course some more good news

--------------------------------------------------------

You can cancel the contract at any time in the first 14 days. Although it is not a complete show stopper to have a mobile that doesn't work at home, it is certainly a pain in the backside, particularly as I could be using free minutes in lieu of my landline phone, if it was working.

So I guess I'll be cancelling, but might leave it until after Braunston, as I'm interested if it can cope at all with the usual "black hole"there.

Braunston is not a black hole for Three, you will get a good signal there.

Shame about the lack of signal at home though. I only get a good signal on Three upstairs at the front of the house, at the back down stairs it is one bar or nothing, but as it is on wifi it's not a big problem for me.