boat break in, it's a fair cop guv

SamKingfisher

Featured Posts

So I locked my keys in the boat - serious snap padlocks front and rear. All windows shut and locked, also locked my phone in.

I broke in using nothing else bar a feather from a drake.

Which I'm pretty pleased about!

I'm obviously not going to tell you how or my silver ballast (gold is heavier but so vulgar, don't you agree?) would be gone by the weekend.

So I locked my keys in the boat - serious snap padlocks front and rear. All windows shut and locked, also locked my phone in.

I'm obviously not going to tell you how or my silver ballast (gold is heavier but so vulgar, don't you agree?) would be gone by the weekend.

Actually, rather than being pretty pleased you should be scared stiff!

If you got in that easily what makes you think that people with experience of breaking in would not do an even quicker job?

Through the side doors, I'd imagine...

MtB

Padlocks are pretty useless to secure the boat, depending on the design and strength of the hasp. They are also a perfect indication that nobody is on board...

Works the other way around too. Get some serious-looking padlock hasps welded on then use some other, invisible locks instead, leaving the hasps obviously unlocked.

This makes the boat look occupied even when it isn't.

MtB

I think most boats are pretty easy pray to anybody with a bit of nouse.

When I considered how easy it would be to break in to our boat there was an obvious and easy way to do it using just a junior hacksaw blade.

I have now secured against that particular route in.

Everybody should look at their boat from the eyes of a thief and if it's easy for you to think of a way you can bet it's easy for somebody with more experience.

Ever since the night we moved on board, when Dave "misplaced" his boat keys and mine were securely locked in the boat & our "mover" was able to pop the padlock off the back doors in under a minute with the use of a crowbar; I am of the opinion if someone really wants to break in they will find a way.

We've since replaced the cheapo bog standard padlock that came with the boat with a heavy duty alarmed lock; but I don't believe for a minute it would keep a determined thief out. No different than a house really, if they want in bad enough they will find a way to gain entry. No sense loosing sleep over it, just do what you can and get on with enjoying life.

I think Dog House is spot on with this one, if you know of an easy way to break in then someone who targets boats for breaking in will probably find it quicker than you thought of it. Did you notice that while you were breaking in there were loads of people asking you what you were doing? No? I didn't think so, 's funny how people always think of burglaries taking place at night so if someone has the front to commit one during the day they will rarely be challenged.

I would also agree that padlocks and hasps just tell potential thieves that the boat is unoccupied and a set of boltcroppers will soon deal with a lot of padlocks.

I agree that most boats are very easy to get into, very quickly.

It's making sure that once in, they get out very quickly & preferably empty handed as a bonus,

So Both internal & external Hidden Sirens, internal & external Strobe Lights, & a 10 second blast of the Fog Cannon it's very disorietating & really draws attention from anyone close by with mobile phone cameras a clicking.

I bet with all the pictures I've posted on here and on the For sale Board, you won't be able to see any of my

6 CCTV Day / Night cameras,

Recorder Fire Proof Strong box,

4 Strobe light,

3 Sirens,

& 3 Fog Cannon Nossle outlets or the Main Fog Cannon box.

Now there is a challenge !.

After all.

This is my Boat,

This is my investment,

& This is my home, So why wouldn't I try and protect it from scum.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2
  • Greenie 1

I did the same thing and borrowed tools off a fellow forum member who happened to be moored just behind me, didn't I Dave?

Houses aren't much better....my mothers house has multipoint locks on doors and windows.....when she was burgled they just smashed the double glazed window in the back door and climbed through....unless you fit steel shutters all round there's not much you can do if someone wants to get in.

Cheers

Gareth

On my boat I locked the keys in and just pulled the door after pushing it to drop the sliding bolt down and pulled and I opened it in seconds! Make sure your bolts to secure the second door either have the slot in to stop them dropping or even better a padlock on both to prevent the bolt being undone by breaking the glass and reaching inside. Better still a surface mounted lock to shoot fixed bolts into the frame to secure the second door. I have 6mm laminated glass to help at the front.

When we had some full length glass doors we paid extra and had the outer pane in 6mm laminated and the inner pane in 4mm toughened. This would help to prevent a thief smashing his way through as once broken toughened glass just falls into tiny cubes whereas laminated glass breaks but is held in place. The ideal would be both sides laminated.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

When you have opened the door, click the padlock back up. That way you need the key to relocl the door..

I don't have any padlocks, all my locks are house types and built in, or internal, but the above would ensure those with padlocks can't lock their keys in..

When you have opened the door, click the padlock back up. That way you need the key to relocl the door..

I don't have any padlocks, all my locks are house types and built in, or internal, but the above would ensure those with padlocks can't lock their keys in..

I use the disc padlocks. You *can't* lock them without using the key. They're also a bit more difficult to get bolt croppers onto, though they are vulnerable to at least one quick and easy attack method. I also leave them locked onto the staples when not in use, as they look locked to a casual glance, and nobody can lock me in by snapping their own lock on, as has been reported on one forum I follow. I mainly use internal locks and bolts, where the only access would involve either wrecking the (steel, unglazed) doors or using a padsaw, which would still leave one bolt unreachable. This is deliberate, as *I* might need to get back in one day, and I know where the weak points are.

Through the side doors, I'd imagine...

MtB

Works the other way around too. Get some serious-looking padlock hasps welded on then use some other, invisible locks instead, leaving the hasps obviously unlocked.

This makes the boat look occupied even when it isn't.

MtB

Which can be locked whilst you are in there preventing your escape in an emergency... I only know as that is a standard 'joke' at work - see a loose hasp & staple on a door and lock it. The thought of this causing injury or death scares me. Funny if done while you're out, though!

(for about 3 nano seconds)

I know it's not at all the same as living on the cut, but on our Marina you're encouraged *not* to lock doors, so someone can get onto your boat quickly if they spot you listing/ sinking/ burning/ something else terrible. Takes a bit of getting used to, that's for sure.

I know it's not at all the same as living on the cut, but on our Marina you're encouraged *not* to lock doors, so someone can get onto your boat quickly if they spot you listing/ sinking/ burning/ something else terrible. Takes a bit of getting used to, that's for sure.

Oh feck, that's the pitch all potential burglars use.

guess how I know...

MtB

HA! I've taken note of the silver ballast from the top o the thread. Hope it's sterling. Much easier to work with... (edit: I meant that as a reply to MtB, but I can't work my phone properly)

We leave a spare set of keys, and alarm codes at the Marina office for similar reasons.

Shame. Was toying with the possibility of breaking in to yours to see the safety disco in action. Edited by Marjorie

HA! I've taken note of the silver ballast from the top o the thread. Hope it's sterling. Much easier to work with... (edit: I meant that as a reply to MtB, but I can't work my phone properly)

Shame. Was toying with the possibility of breaking in to yours to see the safety disco in action.

And I was toying with the idea on breaking in and nicking all those sirens etc!

MtB

Oh bugger, wrong thread... :)