Advice for those that are thinking of living on a boat.

GUMPY

Featured Posts

It's those bloody ducks! nibbling the weed through the night! I'm sure they're wearing away my chines!....give me fluffy bunnies anytime!

Not to mention walking round on the roof.

With muddy feet, even.

Bunnies are better.

I think that if they did wear your chines, they'd struggle to swim in such baggy pants.

Chines not chinos.....I use a keyboard....none of that fancy predictive bl@@dy texting for me.......all my spellnig ererrs are my own fat figners

Not to mention walking round on the roof.

With muddy feet, even.

Bunnies are better.

And that's not all they do on the roof, either. At least it's easier to wash off than goose droppings.

My Neighbours boat 15min ago,Enough said !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cda933noegxa7no/IMAG0301.jpg

Seagulls, trust me, my brother's a doctor.

• 2 months later...

Its a funny one, its like when i did my HGV licences everyone said dont do it, its a crap thankless job and all that, but you dont see people moaning taking £600+ a week home for 60 hours, half of that sat on your backside doing nothing waiting around theres never a shortage of work....

I only joined the other day on here and as a single male in my early 30s with no commitments i was looking into buying a boat soon, nothing too big or too fancy, just something for myself with all the necessity's, not to sit in a mooring all year round but to move about every few weeks, my place of work is right next to the ashby canal and infact the canal runs right around my work in a big loop pretty much. Im renting a 1 bed apartment

£450 a month rent

£103 a month council tax

£40 a month electric

£40 a month gas

£20 odd a month TV licence

£25 a month for broadband

Just shy of £700 a month for a poxy 1 bed apartment, that ill never own, never see any money back from, plus im hardly ever here, i really dont want a mortgage either, and i could raise £10 - £20k pretty easy to buy a boat tomorrow easily without putting myself in any debt. I have no debts, aside from this flat only other direct debits I have is my car insurance and my breakdown cover. I have no wife, no kids and everyone at the start who i knew owned a boat told me im mad paying out nearly £700 a month for a flat I never own, £8400 a year that is and to buy a boat, so i started looking something around the 35 - 42 foot sort of size, joined a few forums and had quite a lot of negativity and dont do it like i had when i did my HGV licence. Deary me lol

I'd love to get involved with the house/boat which is cheapest argument but I don't have the faintest idea what it costs to live in a house, haven't done it for 15 years and I hope I never will again.

I love living on a boat. I love cruising, I love just sitting on the mooring (which sadly for a variety of reasons is what I've mostly done for the last 7 years), I love the people, I love the almost complete lack of drama.

Is it cheap, when you own the boat? Yeah it is. Even paying mooring and council tax (yeah, I know, I'm mad) it's a cheap as chips all in I aint spending £500 a month. Maintenance isn't mega money as long as you look after your boat - don't let things go - and learn how to get stuck in and fix stuff yourself. It's scary as sometimes absolutely mahoosive bills can come in but that's the rub, I imagine people have to buy roofs for houses and the like.

I imagine that if you're trying to do it as a cheap way of living out of desperation - you've got no cash - and you've got no useful skills when it comes to maintaining a boat it could be a hell of a miserable experience especially if you end up with the wrong boat which the further down the market you go, the more likely that is.

If you're a patient sort willing to live with things that aren't ideal until you can afford to change them, are in the boat living thing because of a love of the surroundings and the ideal of a quieter way of life you can live on a boat and be content for not a massive amount of money. That's a fact.

As an escape route, ending up on the cut not because of the positives of this life but the negatives of another especially if money lies at the route of it you're on a hiding to nothing. Otherwise, it's bloody marvellous.

• Greenie 3

My life in general is pretty great, ive got no problems or issues im trying to escape and i dont have any sort of money issues. im also very mechanically minded, ive spent 15 years from the age of 11 taking engines out of cars, building cars, modifying, tuning, making them better, respraying and what not so i know id never have to pay anyone for mechanical work and any boat i owned would always be in the best mechanical condition, the only problems id have is with like interior, ive always lived in shared houses or rented flats so ive never had to do DIY, ive done a few bits and its turned out okay but if you gave me the empty shell of a boat a pile of wood and some screws and a drill, id probably just build a bed (badly) and live with that, so im trying to find one thats in my price range and with an interior ill be happy with :)

As an escape route, ending up on the cut not because of the positives of this life but the negatives of another especially if money lies at the route of it you're on a hiding to nothing. Otherwise, it's bloody marvellous.

beautifully and accurately put.....worth a greeny