So think we found our boat.... Just a quick Thames question

Zig Zag

Featured Posts

After looking at quite a few lemons, we think we finally found the boat we want subject to a few things like getting our finances sorted and a quick hull survey. So now I've been thinking about moving the old girl (well she's 1991 so not that old) I've been in talks with a guy about morning here on a small section of a tidal river of the Crouch. Now the chap said the good thing about bringing boats in to here, you can come down the Thames out to sea and then in!

So needles to say going out in to the North Sea, however short of a distance it is, is not something I'd attempted my self so I was thinking about seeking boat movers advise and services for this, but from the picture I have attached anyone like to have a guess if this is over a days trip as I get that nones gonna wanna stop off over night at sea.

I was thinking I would bring her from up north to regents canal, as close to the tidal Thames as I could. Then it would be a professional taking her down the tidal Thames to the crouch, the green arrow is where I'm going to Moor her but they would only need to get it on the opening of the crouch ( right at the end of the map ) as I could carry on again from there.

Thanks for any advise.

It could end up that I just have to go with the craning in option. Just going over different ideas at the mo.

http://i.imgur.com/MJkJo7Z.jpg

In good weather it is possible with a narrowboat however I would suggest rather than going out to sea you took the route onto the Roach and out the Havengore. This cuts out the most exposed part of the trip. It still is only to be attempted in very calm conditions and with a lot of preparation of the boat and gear, even the short section of Thames estuary off Shoeburyness can be quite rough at times. If you have no sea experience I would suggest it is essential to get someone to skipper you.

edited for a fat finger error

Edited by John V

In good weather it is possible with a narrowboat however I would suggest rather than going out to sea you took the route onto the Roach and out the Havengore. This cuts out the most exposed part of the trip. It still is only to be attempted in very calm conditions and with a lot of preparation of the boat and gear, even the short section of Thames estuary off Shoeburyness can be quite rough at times. If you have no sea experience I would suggest it is essential to get someone to skipper you. edited for a fat finger error

Ahhh ok I wasn't sure if you get to the Roach tho? Maybe best wait for a spring tide?

No I don't have sea experience so I most deffently wouldn't be doing it on my own. Would have a experienced skipper do it.

Once you have passed the junction of the Crouch and Roach the rest of the trip is pretty protected,(to the Havengore that is) There are moorings around the area but not many. You would need a decent tide but not necessarily a spring for the creeks but you would need one for the Havengore itself as it is quite shallow over the Broomway and across the artillery range (not somewhere to get stuck) I believe they give 1.5m draft but I have been told that is a bit optimistic. A pilot or skipper is advisable (plus VHF)

Edited by John V

*eeep!* If you do it the river route, I'd love to know how you go. We live in that bit of estuary just by Rochester on your map there (not on a narrowboat though, a converted lighter), and we get WEATHER (obviously you're not going to attempt anything in adverse conditions though). Some of our neighbours have moved larger boats up and out (a couple of converted tugs and a lighter that I can think of), always crewed with a professional crew, and each time successfully.

Can we have some bit details?

Form me? Sure what you want to know? Boat?

It's 38ft trad with a newish beta engine. Forget witch one at the mo. But only one of the smaller ones

The boats in staffs at the mo and as I say I want it on The river Crouch. Can come in by burnham on crouch (or close by) and want to be by battlesbridge in essex.

What else would you like to know?

Thanks John V. Yep I can get hold of VHF no prob.

As possibly the only person on this forim that has actually done this journey in an inland craft (barge) I will add my twopennth.

Firstly you do not want to be seaward side of the Crouch estury in a NB unless you know what you are doing and the boat is well prepared.

Secondly you will need a weather window when you have at least 4 days of winds less than force 2-3 and calm sea

state.

Journey is as follows:

Day/tide 1

Leave Bow Locks as soon as they open about 2hrs before HTLB

Pass the barrier at or just before HTLB

I will miss the navigation notes for the rest of this tide but you should arrive at Sherness just before LTS you then need to go to the concrete lighter at Queenborough which you will have to book with the Yot Club.

Day/tide 2

Leave the lighter about an hour or so after LWS past Sheerness straight cross the estury to the north side follow the buoys along the coast until you reach the turn for Havengore (you will need to book passage with the firing range so you don't get shelled) follow the withies in. When through the bridge you have two choices either to anchor just inside the entrance to the Roach or proceed to Essex Marina on the Crouch ad ask for a visitor berth until the next low tide.

Day/tide 3

Leave at low tide and proceed slowly up the Crouch to Battlesbridge you will run out of water but as the tide is on the way in you will soon lift off.

Did you know that very few boats ever leave Battlesbridge once they are there.......

Oh and finally Essex Marina have a 70ton travel lift, you could get lifted out elsewhere and lifted back in there, that would be the sensible thing to do if you are not very exprienced.

I've been boating over 45 years and would still think twice about tackling it in a NB.

As possibly the only person on this forim that has actually done this journey in an inland craft (barge) I will add my twopennth.

Firstly you do not want to be seaward side of the Crouch estury in a NB unless you know what you are doing and the boat is well prepared.

Secondly you will need a weather window when you have at least 4 days of winds less than force 2-3 and calm sea

state.

Journey is as follows:

Day/tide 1

Leave Bow Locks as soon as they open about 2hrs before HTLB

Pass the barrier at or just before HTLB

I will miss the navigation notes for the rest of this tide but you should arrive at Sherness just before LTS you then need to go to the concrete lighter at Queenborough which you will have to book with the Yot Club.

Day/tide 2

Leave the lighter about an hour or so after LWS past Sheerness straight cross the estury to the north side follow the buoys along the coast until you reach the turn for Havengore (you will need to book passage with the firing range so you don't get shelled) follow the withies in. When through the bridge you have two choices either to anchor just inside the entrance to the Roach or proceed to Essex Marina on the Crouch ad ask for a visitor berth until the next low tide.

Day/tide 3

Leave at low tide and proceed slowly up the Crouch to Battlesbridge you will run out of water but as the tide is on the way in you will soon lift off.

Did you know that very few boats ever leave Battlesbridge once they are there.......

Oh and finally Essex Marina have a 70ton travel lift, you could get lifted out elsewhere and lifted back in there, that would be the sensible thing to do if you are not very exprienced.

I've been boating over 45 years and would still think twice about tackling it in a NB.

clapping.gif

Wow very helpful thank you very much. Yep I think It might be best option to get it crained in by the time a paid for skippers etc etc.

that's what I thinking when it was sujested to me just bring it down the Thames and in. I thought hmmmm in a 38 ft narrow boat!!!!

What do you mean they don't leave there. You mean because of the tide levels?

Edited by The zig zag

Wow very helpful thank you very much. Yep I think It might be best option to get it crained in by the time a paid for skippers etc etc.

that's what I thinking when it was sujested to me just bring it down the Thames and in. I thought hmmmm in a 38 ft narrow boat!!!!

What do you mean they don't there. You mean because of the tide levels?

No its just the sort of place that sucks you in, interesting dispute (unless its been settled since 2007) between the lanowner on the left side and the one on the right ;)

Zig Zag Which side were you thinking of going, the industrial site side or the mill side?

Loddon you're right in that I haven't done it in an canalboat but I have in a 16' dinghy.

oddly next month taking an old Leigh built yacht (25') out from there up to Pin Mill (from Upper River Yacht club)

so some boats do leave boat.gifcheers.gif

edit for too many "haves"

Edited by John V

Ahhh ok I thought you meant you just can't go anywhere. That's ok cos if I get the boat we want i be to busy working on the inside anyway. Needs lots and lots on work inside.

Have lived locally all my 25 years of life anyway so know the aera.

Porbally the garden center side with wooden jeti ( so industrial side) Although the guy who owns it I was talking to about mooring said that he also owens a small creak also that's nice but no electric. So depends really. Doubt I could last without hook up so that means I'll be the jeti.

Hope he's flattened out the jetties a bit, they used to be at a heck of an angle at low tide.

seemed to be a bit better security on that side though, I was looking around there a few years ago but got a good deal somewhere else so never investigated further.

Hope he's flattened out the jetties a bit, they used to be at a heck of an angle at low tide.

seemed to be a bit better security on that side though, I was looking around there a few years ago but got a good deal somewhere else so never investigated further.

Have you got a narrow boat on the chelmer?

I saw on the side', one of your boats name "Pippin" and I'm sure I seen a narrow boat called Pippin round paper mill?

Edit * no sorry sandford not paper mill *

Edited by The zig zag

No Pippin is my Shetland.....used for fishing or just generally playing about on the water

all are kept on salt water and just take expeditions inland on Shapfell or coastal on Sabina H

Edited by John V

Strangely Battlesbridge is on Antiques road trip as I type.

The pontoon had no decking on it last time I was there so we moored alongside Sarah May.

Ahh I know I think he's spent some money on it since then. Nice decking and water and electric hook up. There's one narrow boat moored up there but not been able to catch anyone on it when I been down there.

Went this afternoon at 5 when high tide was in. Never seen it so high.

image.jpg

pic host

Never mind the antiques center I was in the Barge pub.

No Pippin is my Shetland.....used for fishing or just generally playing about on the water

all are kept on salt water and just take expeditions inland on Shapfell or coastal on Sabina H

Ahhh ok then. Must be a another boat called pippin,