Trying to calm my fears...

bohomon

Featured Posts

I think a pallet would keep you warm for a couple of hours.

MtB

(If I'm right that's 12 a day you''l need!)

They make fab kindling though, if you can be arsed to chop 'em up (we don't bother taking the nails out, they just drop through the grate).

Marjorie, on 18 Jun 2014 - 8:49 PM, said:

They make fab kindling though, if you can be arsed to chop 'em up (we don't bother taking the nails out, they just drop through the grate).

Just check the markings on them -

The ones marked HT (heat treated) are safe to use/burn

The ones marked MB contain Methane Bromide which is thought to be a carcinogenic substance.

It is a pesticide and has been banned under the 'Montreal Protocol' except for the single application in pre-shipment of wooden logs and pallets.

As well as its toxicity, Methyl Bromide is 60 times more destructive to ozone on an atom-per-atom basis than the chlorine from CFCs.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Have you verified they are safe to burn though?

Not all are.

The ones marked MB contain Methane Bromide which is thought to be a carcinogenic substance.

It is a pesticide and has been banned under the 'Montreal Protocol' except for the single application in pre-shipment of wooden logs and pallets.

As well as its toxicity, Methyl Bromide is 60 times more destructive to ozone on an atom-per-atom basis than the chlorine from CFCs.

So people buying a boat to save the planet shouldn't burn the ones marked MB? Or is the damage to the ozone layer already done?

MtB

Seconded, these 3 books were written by the wife of one of the forums members, factual in content, very amusing too and will give any prospective live aboard a very good insight into what its all about.

Phil

I loved the first two, didn't know there was a third. I've just ordered it from Amazon.

I remember that I ordered Fifty Shades of Grey and the first two Marie Browne books for my Kindle, all at the same time. I kept trying to wade through the Fifty Shades nonsense to see what all the fuss was about, but sacked it for the narrowboat books, which floated my boat far better than that Fifty Shades rubbish. biggrin.png

I kept trying to wade through the Fifty Shades nonsense to see what all the fuss was about, but sacked it for the narrowboat books, which floated my boat far better than that Fifty Shades rubbish.

Perhaps this would float your boat better?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0752265458?pc_redir=1403068606&robot_redir=1

51d0ojuwHbL._SX400_.jpg

Well, I never knew that. Pallet checking on tomorrow's to do list...

So people buying a boat to save the planet shouldn't burn the ones marked MB? Or is the damage to the ozone layer already done?

MtB

I think the hole in the Ozone layer has always existed, its just that nobody had bothered looking for it before.

Phil

Methyl bromide is also what they use to make sure cheese doesn't mold when maturing.. So a lot will be released into the atmosphere from that process. It's really not very good for you.. However, is incredibly unlikely to remain in the wood unreacted, as it reacts with moisture quickly, and furthermore, it burns very well indeed. Likely it's used to kill any mold living in or on the wood. It won't be in it afterwords.

I'm a professor of chemistry, so this is not an uneducated opinion.

I just downloaded the first free one for my kindle.

[you know you have narrowboating on the brain when your 1st thought on charging your device is - I wonder how much power this would leech on a boat?]

You know you have narrowboating on the brain, after your first year on board..