Trying to calm my fears...

bohomon

Featured Posts

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I hope you good folk will indulge my wibbles and wobbles and plain ol' getting stuff off my chest. I have no one else to talk this out with so here I am....

I've been researching living aboard for a few weeks and will continue to for some time (until I sell my heavily-mortgaged house and eventually buy a boat!).

I'm a nomad at heart and have lived around the world. Living in a bricks-and-mortar is like a prison to me. I always end up travelling but realised that what I need is to be permanently moving.

I have zero experience working a narrowboat. I'm a single mum with a 6 yr-old so I have a whole bunch of fears and concerns. ninja.gif

1. Security

2. Buying with no knowledge of what to look for

3. Mechanical maintanence/repairs (when away from a marina)

4. Getting bought boat from A to B

5. Cruising solo (handling locks, mooring in high winds, etc etc etc)

6. Getting the boat grounded, or engine cutting out while cruising, etc

7. Regular friends for my daughter

So #4 has been put to rest as reading another thread just now I discovered that there are people who will take your boat to across the country if need be. BIG weight off my shoulders.

I know that driving the thing will be like learning to drive a car (fearful at first but you soon learn it's not so bad) except even easier as it's 4mph! So no fear there. I'll do the certificate.

#2 - I know I would get a survey, but like buying a house, there's much more to it than that. Not just the state of the boat, but knowing what it 'should' include, or could include to make it better suited to us. (or an idea of what it would cost to make changes).

Ok, that's a lot for one post. :)

One for BSP and co me thinks

Sorry bohomon, there are a few who I think can relate better than me, or others.

Then I began to think you and I had/have the same concerns. It's about you both being clear what this entails, and if you have the money, a weeks holiday on a boat would help.

If you could find someone to help by introducing you to boats that would be the best start. If you are anywhere near Lichfield me n the missus would be glad to help.

Edited by NB Lola

4. You drive it yourself. It really isn't that difficult!

5. See above.

There are various courses available that can teach you both of those.

Have you ever lived on a boat? If not I suggest that the first thing you do is try to hire a boat for a week and see what it is like.

Hi Bohomon,

Firstly welcome to the forum, you've come across a spot to gather loads of useful information from some very knowledgeable and experienced boaters (I'm not one of them btw)

Hubby and I are very new to all of this as well, bought out boat in December and moved on-board with our cats in mid Feb. so still finding our feet so to speak.

Just a couple of questions to allow other with more knowledge to base their answers suggestions on....

What about schooling for your child? or do you home school. It's just that you mentioned moving around a lot, but you also mentioned a marina. Are you planning on living on the boat in a marina or being a CC'er or something else altogether?

Advice I can give is go have a look at loads of boats to see what appeals to you. A marina that is often suggested for this is Whilton (dependent on where you are based), they apparently have loads of boats and you are left to yourself to have a look around.

Good luck

B~

Hi Bohomon.

Welcome to the forum.

There will be many members whom will address your questions, and offer you a number of most practical solutions.

But may I ask one question please? - Your daughter, at six, will be going to school? (or are you educating her at home?)

If school - - you'll need to arrange a long term mooring to enable her to attend a school? - or have you an alternative plan?.

Edited by Grace & Favour

All of 1-7 you will find out about by researching on here, and reading, and asking questions. Lots of helpful folk.

No.7 more tough, but my 9 yr old son has inevitably found friends wherever we moor, but these are inevitably short-term friends. We only move about in school holidays, and have a nice semi-rural online mooring. If you are "home-teaching" rather than sending child to regular school, this could be more difficult. Perhaps planning to be around a school would be good? Only you know how much you feel compelled to move around, and what type of education you want for your child.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

NB Loa - No idea what BSp is. Yes, I plan on having time on a boat when I get closer to buying.

Graham - #4, I was thinking if I bought it up North (like Nottingham) and then had to get it to Kennet and Avon Canal where I would like to be based. Huge trip for a first timer.

Chimneychain - I would slap your wrist but you'd probably go somewhere with that!

Hi Bettie Boo - always so lovely to hear from other gals doing this. And yes, I've read almost every thread (well nearly lol), and made a ton of notes.

A CCer but a residential mooring at a later point would be great.

As for what appeals - I have a good idea of layout, want a semi-trad (or trad with some outside bit), and around 57-62ft. it's more the mechanical/technical things to look out for that concern me.

Yes, I home educate my girl, that's why schooling wasn't an issue. If based in the canal mentioned we would attend home education groups in Bristol, Bath, but that doesn't take care of the day to day. Having said that, in our current apartment we are isolated and it's difficult for her to make friends here too. On the other hand...she would have the experience of meeting a ton of diverse people all the time.

Edited by bohomon
  • Greenie 1

Did a 200 mile journey bringing my boat from near Cambridge up to Nottingham when I bought it.. Took nearly 5 months (stoppages, lack of water, ice, etc), but I can definitely recommend it... You meet some great people, and get to know your boat.

You will quickly learn lots of mechanical things. Talk to folk, they will help. There is always a boatyard you can call out, or you can join RCR. Its not to difficult to learn the basics, and spot problems before they become failures. And fix simple things like broken wires, belts, servicing, simple electrics, etc..

Various folk have hired the services of Matty40s to go along and check out potential boats, and show them whats what, etc.. I'm sure there are others who can offer this type of service too.

Fidodido - RCR!!!! Never came across them mentioned before. You just took my anxieties down a few notches. THANKYOU for that.

Well, I guess I needn't think of it as having to get boat from A to B in any particular time. Unless I bought it in the Winter then I would rather just have it brought down. But after the Winter.... hmmm, why not, I'm under nobody's clock!

Edited by bohomon

Hi Bohomon and welcome aboard. You have come to the right place, just keep asking away and if unsure, well just ask again. BSP is one of our eminent members (Bluestringpudding)

Sometimes you will get "smart Alec" replies, often it is just banter and gentle ribbing, feel free to join in or ignore as you feel fit.

Living aboard is for everybody who loves nature and a freer lifestyle.

It can be tough at times, you can be knee deep in mud in the winter or the water point can be frozen or all manner of mishaps can befall you but remember the old saying. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I took the plunge (with my wife) aged 54 and 14 years on am still loving it.

Phil

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I hope you good folk will indulge my wibbles and wobbles and plain ol' getting stuff off my chest. I have no one else to talk this out with so here I am....

I've been researching living aboard for a few weeks and will continue to for some time (until I sell my heavily-mortgaged house and eventually buy a boat!).

I'm a nomad at heart and have lived around the world. Living in a bricks-and-mortar is like a prison to me. I always end up travelling but realised that what I need is to be permanently moving.

I have zero experience working a narrowboat. I'm a single mum with a 6 yr-old so I have a whole bunch of fears and concerns. ninja.gif

1. Security

So #4 has been put to rest as reading another thread just now I discovered that there are people who will take your boat to across the country if need be. BIG weight off my shoulders.

I know that driving the thing will be like learning to drive a car (fearful at first but you soon learn it's not so bad) except even easier as it's 4mph! So no fear there. I'll do the certificate.

#2 - I know I would get a survey, but like buying a house, there's much more to it than that. Not just the state of the boat, but knowing what it 'should' include, or could include to make it better suited to us. (or an idea of what it would cost to make changes).

Ok, that's a lot for one post. smile.png

1. Steel doors and perhaps window guards of some kind... dont forget about fire escape route though.

2. Read this forum and then view boats to put your knowledge into practise, you will soon figure out the basics and learn all sorts you never knew you needed to know.

5. The first boat I cruised was a 70ft, it is soo much easier than a car and you will figure it out as your go, lots of people single hand. If you are near a canal perhaps put a notice up asking for someone to take you along on a short cruise. Boaters are friendly and Im sure you would find someone. Go and hang around a lock and watch and see how they work, again get chatting and you will likely get to have a go yourself.

6. will happen at some point, again boaters very friendly and if you ask you will get help.

Good luck and dont be nervous :)

NB Loa - No idea what BSp is.

Hi Bettie Boo - always so lovely to hear from other gals doing this. And yes, I've read almost every thread (well nearly lol), and made a ton of notes.

A CCer but a residential mooring at a later point would be great.

As for what appeals - I have a good idea of layout, want a semi-trad (or trad with some outside bit), and around 57-62ft. it's more the mechanical/technical things to look out for that concern me.

Yes, I home educate my girl, that's why schooling wasn't an issue. If based in the canal mentioned we would attend home education groups in Bristol, Bath, but that doesn't take care of the day to day. Having said that, in our current apartment we are isolated and it's difficult for her to make friends here too. On the other hand...she would have the experience of meeting a ton of diverse people all the time.

'Blue String Pudding' is a regular contributor on here. I am sure she will be along shortly to give some reassuring advice.

It would be beneficial to get someone knowledgeable about the mechanical aspects of boats to get your prospective purchase looked at. That would be in addition to a pre-purchase survey. As mentioned previously Matty40s of this forum would be a good start.

www.oldfriendscanalservices.weebly.com. He could also arrange delivery and possibly instruction on your boat.

Alternatively there is a canal newspaper called 'towpath talk' with a large classified section which might point you in the right direction. www.towpathtalk.co.uk

RCR (river canal rescue) is like the AA, but for boats. www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk have several degrees of cover for your peace of mind.

I would certainly advocate looking over as many types of boat as possible to give you an idea of what's available and possible. Different types of layout etc. Also being based down on the K and A you could also consider a wide beam boat, but that will restrict your potential cruising area.

Also the K and A, particularly the western end is very popular with commuters so moorings could well be an issue. In addition if you are thinking of continuously cruising then that brings it's own challenges to comply with the rules. (CRT Licences without a home mooring.)

Good luck with your new venture.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Sometimes you will get "smart Alec" replies, often it is just banter and gentle ribbing, feel free to join in or ignore as you feel fit.

Living aboard is for everybody who loves nature and a freer lifestyle.

I'm very easy going, well-meaning smart alec is fine by me wink.png

Nature, freedom, a smaller carbon footprint.... yes yes yes.

Steel doors, noted Hopefulboater.

Edited by bohomon

Hello everyone,

1. Security

Ok, that's a lot for one post. smile.png

School for your daughter

Good luck with your new venture.

Ken

Thanks so much for all the tips Ken.

I'm still reading and getting my head around the licence and CC issues.

The amazing helfulness and frinedliness of the boating community - both on forum and from what I'm told - just amazes me and only makes me want it all the more. I live in an apartment of 18 flats and know only 4 of my neighbours. I like my privacy, but living in a bubble just seems crazy to me.

Erm, I don't think that is guaranteed by any means

Richard

My thoughts too. It would for one thing require CRT to be much better at providing recycling facilities, and I don't think canal boats are particularly fuel efficient are they?

Erm, I don't think that is guaranteed by any means

Richard

No, I understand. But personally speaking, compared to my current life, yes, and how I plan on living, yes. wink.png

My thoughts too. It would for one thing require CRT to be much better at providing recycling facilities, and I don't think canal boats are particularly fuel efficient are they?

It's the diesel the big concern, eco-wise. But broader speaking, a small home means we buy less, I would use a lot less electricity and water, eventually have solar panels.... hm, what else?

Edited by bohomon

No, I understand. But personally speaking, compared to my current life, yes, and how I plan on living, yes. wink.png

It's the diesel the big concern, eco-wise. But broader speaking, a small home means we buy less, I would use a lot less electricity and water.... what else?

Except you generate your own electricity. If you use solar panels (highly recommended) then apart from the manufacturing carbon impact, it's free. If you use your engine to generate electricity it is many, many times less efficient than mains electric

And a long thin tin box is much less thermally efficient than a nice brick house, so you are chucking heat into the atmosphere

There are many excellent reasons for living on a boat, don't expect to be better for the planet though

Richard

Around 20 mpg, but then you trap heat to heat your water up too. Not bad for a 20 tonne vehicle..

If you use solar and / or wind for your electrical needs, you won't burn much diesel. I use 200 quid a month of diesel in my car. About that a year in my boat!

It's the diesel the big concern, eco-wise. But broader speaking, a small home means we buy less, I would use a lot less electricity and water, eventually have solar panels.... hm, what else?

Boats are not subject to the same stringent emission controls as say modern motor vehicles for example, they don't require particulate filters for example.

Some boats have very old engines designed donkeys years ago that would not get close to being installed in a modern vehicle.

Overall of course boats cause less pollution than motor vehicles but as an individual consideration don't assume being a boater automatically means reducing your carbon footprint.

If you are prepared to exclude the environmental impact of their production, solar panels could be a way to go.

Whatever you do don't give social workers any excuse to decide you may be putting your needs before your child's. They can ruin your life.

:(

I have heard of a few bad stoies from other home educators... nevermind going nomadic. But I'm a fierce fighter for justice, and 5mins with my sociable, well-adjusted, performing-3yrs-above-her-age daughter would probably shut them up. ;)

Hey,, Hi ya & Welcome to the Fourm.

Use the Search facility to look at old Threads & Topics.

Ask Lots,& you will learn Lots from members that really do know There stuff on most things Boaty, & that of Boaty Life.

Join in the serious & the silliness,

Might be a good idea to have a clear set of parameters almost like a list, of when you are thinking of your lifestyle change, where your Family & Financial commitments will be at that time, & where you realisticly want to end up

cruiseing, Stuff like that, As this might have a baring on Type & Style of Boat you will end up choosing.

Ref Home Schooling,,, Have a chat with our very own DeanS for some pointers.

OH, & Do you like Donuts ?.

But probably the best bit of advice I could give is, Stay clear of any Pumpout OR Cassette 'Debates' until you have been about a while.

Good luck & see you on the Boards.