Some images of Aquarius and Ilford in Stoke Bruerne with their loose-load coal

Leo No2

Featured Posts

I was lucky enough to see Aquarius and Ilford travelling down through Stoke Bruerne a week ago and again on Friday when they arrived for the Stoke Bruerne Festival - they are my copy-write © but if anyone does wish to use them outside of this link please contact me via PM.

At the time of this post I am unloading a further 34 images.

Link to Album is here - enjoy.

Lovely pics Kathryn. Thanks for posting.

What's the cargo they are carrying? Is it a real commercial passage or a dummy cargo loaded specifically for the festival?

MtB

According to one of the owners the loose coal, (some of it in truly massive slabs!) is from an open cast mine adjacent to the Ashby canal (sorry I have forgotten the name of the mine).

It was loaded at a wharf on the Ashby, near the pit.

The coal, apparently, would normally be pulverised, and the outpit of the pit apparently normally all goes t one of the big coal fired generating stations.

I don't think the coal has an intended use at this point - just making a rather fine display, rather different from most modern day coal boats, where you get long lines of plastic sacks.

BTW, I believe John Jackson still loads loose coal - or that was what I have been told, but most don't.

MtB - they wanted to re-enact a voyage Glyn Phillps (Aquarius) made in 1968 (I think) taking coal from the same pit on the Ashby to Dickinson's (spelling?) at Croxley. We have had the pleasure of seeing them twice in a week in Stoke Bruerne - apart from looking wonderful the boat handling is something to behold as well.

Some of the slabs of coal are upwards of 80lb!

Edited by Leo No2

I saw them at Avecote the week before last, hadn't seen running blocks and long lining in use for years! I think the trip is to generate publicity for the restoration of the top end of the Ashby, another 400 metres being put back in water.

Cheers

Dave

We passed them on the Northern Oxford Canal last week, It was Jan's first sighting of a fully laden working pair, they told us that they were carrying 36 tons of loose coal to Stoke Bruerne. I also noted they were using Running Blocks and commented to the Butty steerer that the last person I had seen using them was Rose Whitlock back in the 1960's, an observation which seemed to please her.

Edited by David Schweizer

I must say that it was indeed a privilege to see the boats working and to meet Roger and Teresa Fuller (Ilford) and Glyn and Rosemary Phiilps (Aquarius) and observe their skills at working the pair.

I believe they are leaving Stoke Bruerne next Sunday and heading to Braunston (sadly, I understand, they will not be there for the Braunston weekend) but that may give some of you an opportunity to see them on their travels - an opportunity, in my view, not to be missed.

Edited by Leo No2

Great Pictures - the butty seems to have the cabin stove lit in the small front cabin........ bet it's hot in there.

Leo.

The stove, unless they've moved it, is actually in the cratch area with a long angled flue pipe- it gives a roomier bed in the fore cabin. I just fit, with my toes tight into the stem angle, and my head nearest the bulkhead.

It is very cosy!