Skandia 13b engine

Neville Bond

Featured Posts

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum.

I bought a Skandia Diesel at the engine rally at Nuenen in Holland at the weekend, the engine is fitted with a holder for a starting wick, I have not tried to start it as it is only on two bits of wood at the moment, has anyone any experience of these engines , I,m not sure how to go about starting it ?

Thanks

Neville

I don't know the engines, but I suggest getting hold of some of these of the right diameter for your engine. Much easier to use than wicks, and they are self-igniting.

Sleeman & Hawken might have them, I know they used to stock them but not sure whether they still do.

Hello,

I sold one like that a couple of years ago,nice Engines.

You can buy a Electric glow plug for this one and there are new cylinders and heads and other parts avalible(in sweden though).

They are very common here in sweden but very often badly rusted.

/Christian

Sweden

Beat me to it! I think you mean Scania, as Skandia are an investment company owned by Old Mutual.

I have a Scania D8 in my barge and its great. Very economical.

PS welcome to the forum Neville.

Edited by Barge Maria
  • Greenie 1

Thanks Christian I will check that out tomorrow, I would like to know the method of starting if you know it ? There is a tap on the cylinder head which I guess is the decompressor, there is also is lever that unscrews a rod in the centre of the head , I have no idea what this is for .

OK looking at the pic I retract my comment abut Skandia the investment company. Your engine IS a Skandia, which I am told is a very old Scandinavian builder (hence "Skandia"). Nice one, and I'm sure very unusual.

Tim

I,ll try some pictures

IMGP2389_zps177f2320.jpg

IMGP2391_zps275bbc76.jpg

You will preheat were the T handle is,there are 3 ways to preheat,electric(Thandle swapped for a glowplug),blowtorch and a way with something that looks like short cigarr(not sure what you call them in English)

Preheat around 4-5 minutes

The regulator should point backwards(open it 1/4),open the injector 1/8 to 1/4 turn from closed,give it 4-6 lage strokes on the pump.

Turn the flywheel clockwise(against rotation)with huge amount of powercool.png (arms and hands away when it starts!!!!).

Let it run for a couple of minutes and warm up,adjust injector for a smoth run and you are ready to gocaptain.gifboat.gif .

Can you take some pics of the T-handle so we can se what it looks like.maybe you can preheat directly at the T with a torch,not sure....unsure.png

/Christian

If the set up is similar to the Seffle engine Injector/sprayer, the lever adjusts the spray pattern the injector delivers acording to the load on the engine: the greater the load the more open the lever. You may find some marks to indicate TDC,or a position you can set to enable you to kick against TDC in the oposite direction to the way it runs, 2 stroke semi"s will run in both directions, usually better in the correct direction ( if it has a gearbox it"s iffy if it"s going the wrong way) Looking again at the photo, the lever with the ball knob on the fuel pump is possibly the fuel primer priming the injector On the Seffle I had, it required 6 shots on the primer while waiting for the glow plug to heat up,another 2 shots with engine up to temp & the fly wheel would rock to & fro the engine would then usually start. The different brands require slightly different methods to start but mostly similar in the start set up.

Looking again could the T handle be part of a cartridge start? remove insert cartridge wind in T handle & bang cartridge fires & starts engine when up to temperature I seem to remember some Field Marshall tractors could be had with a cartridge start optional extra

Looking again could the T handle be part of a cartridge start? remove insert cartridge wind in T handle & bang cartridge fires & starts engine when up to temperature I seem to remember some Field Marshall tractors could be had with a cartridge start optional extra

AFAIK it was standard fitment on the Field Marshalls, using a blank 12-bore cartridge, but the method was optional, as an alternative to using a glowing starting paper and winding by hand.

Tim

NO bang pleaselaugh.png !

It´s not blanks as in old airplanes,it´s more like the glowing paper but mixed with some other stuff.

It should not go the wrong direction with that type of lubrikator,it doesent get any oil in the wrong direction i heard.

I got this kind of T-handle on my Seffle but i dont use it,i use the torch to pre heat.

Starting a Skandia is mostly the same as starting a Seffle.

NO bang pleaselaugh.png !

It´s not blanks as in old airplanes,it´s more like the glowing paper but mixed with some other stuff.

It should not go the wrong direction with that type of lubrikator,it doesent get any oil in the wrong direction i heard.

I got this kind of T-handle on my Seffle but i dont use it,i use the torch to pre heat.

Starting a Skandia is mostly the same as starting a Seffle.

The Seffle I had in my narrowboat had a glowplug, blank plug in the uncooled part of the head to heat with blowlamp, + compression bleed off /air type starting, as well as the spring loaded pin in the flywheel to kick start. The lube system worked if the engine was running in the wrong direction, but as stated the gear box did not like it .

Here are some more pictures and the details from the brass plate, the T fitting will hold a starting wick I was told , I bought a box of Zundfix starters while at the rally, they ignite under compression apparently , the picture of the head shows the handle with the valve fully closed .

plate details

SKANDIA MOTOR

Serial number 224389

HP 10

RPM 1000

Type 13B

SKANDIAVERKEN

LYSEKIL SWEDEN

IMGP2402_zps2dc0596a.jpg

IMGP2395_zps75f1ae6a.jpg

IMGP2400_zps29acf8b2.jpg

hello,

Your Engine is built 1952-54.

If i can get in Contact with the guy who sell the spare maybe we can see who bought it new and an exact date.

He have all the spares from Skandia verken and all the paperwork.

I have never seen that type of wick in a Skandia before,do you soak it in ethanol and fire it up or?

Nice Engine,it looks well cared forclapping.gif