Upton on Severn pub/restaurant recommendation wanted

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

We can recommend the chip shop!...we didn't eat in either The Swan Hotel which is riverside or the Anchor Inn which is in the High Street but the beer in both was good....I think The Swan did a real cider too....we saw some of the meals come out in the Anchor and they looked nice....this was all last summer mind so things can change.

Cheers

Gareth

We spent an enforced 3 days there last week while the Severn went up 5 feet and closed Upper Lode Lock after Wednesdays rain. Ironically while we were there on Thursday and Friday the weather was great and we spent a lot of time at the Kings Head sitting outside overlooking the river. I got quite a taste for HPA. We also tried The Swan Hotel. There are in reality a lot of pubs in Upton, but I was glad to escape on Saturday morning.

Did not eat in any of the pubs, just the Thrishna Indian which we enjoyed.

We spent an enforced 3 days there last week while the Severn went up 5 feet and closed Upper Lode Lock after Wednesdays rain. Ironically while we were there on Thursday and Friday the weather was great and we spent a lot of time at the Kings Head sitting outside overlooking the river. I got quite a taste for HPA. We also tried The Swan Hotel. There are in reality a lot of pubs in Upton, but I was glad to escape on Saturday morning.

Did not eat in any of the pubs, just the Thrishna Indian which we enjoyed.

Thanks, we ate at Thrishna and it was excellent. Not impressed by the pubs but we did have a drink in the Kings Head , not a fan of HPA which I had a day or so before at the Tudor Lodge at Patch bridge on the G & S.

As per the title anybody had any good/bad food in Upton, from a brief look the pubs are not that inspiring

Thanks

Tim

We had a good lunchtime light lunch at the 'Secret Mess' last week. Would recommend it.

Chris

Thanks, we ate at Thrishna and it was excellent. Not impressed by the pubs but we did have a drink in the Kings Head , not a fan of HPA which I had a day or so before at the Tudor Lodge at Patch bridge on the G & S.

OK, so where is the pub at Patch bridge, we came through the bridge an hour ago and could not see it despite what Nicholsons says. We are moored between Patch and Purton at the moment, as I have some work to do this afternoon, and the internet is good here.

OK, so where is the pub at Patch bridge, we came through the bridge an hour ago and could not see it despite what Nicholsons says. We are moored between Patch and Purton at the moment, as I have some work to do this afternoon, and the internet is good here.

The Tudor Arms is opposite the Black Shed at Patch Bridge, almost canal side.

The Tudor Arms is opposite the Black Shed at Patch Bridge, almost canal side.

Is it on the other side of the canal? The text in Nicholsons says it is, but the map shows it the same side as the "shed". The other side of the canal just looked like fields.

While on the subject the pub near Purton Bridge that Nicholsons says has erratic opening hour, does it?

As you can probably guess we would quite like a pub in this nice sunshine, but the enforced 7PM curfew on here takes a it on getting used to.

Is it on the other side of the canal? The text in Nicholsons says it is, but the map shows it the same side as the "shed". The other side of the canal just looked like fields.

While on the subject the pub near Purton Bridge that Nicholsons says has erratic opening hour, does it?

As you can probably guess we would quite like a pub in this nice sunshine, but the enforced 7PM curfew on here takes a it on getting used to.

Not sure how you missed the Tudor Lodge, it is a large pub on the same side of the canal as the black shed (cheap basic food) about 30 metres away on the opposite side of the road :-) food is ok at reasonable prices, free wifi as well.

Discovered the Black shed cafe after refusing to pay the prices being charged for food in the wetlands centre. The wetlands centre is still a must to visit though

The pub at Purton only opens in the summer, can't remember the lunchtime hours but opens from 7.0pm to 10pm on the evening. Was told that it does not do food.

Another must is a visit to the Purton hulks, they are canalside just downstream of the Purton lower bridge.

Am told that the dockers social club at Sharpness does reasonably priced large potions of basic food.

Thanks for that, we are moored at the end of the canal now and walked to find Sharpness last night, and went past the Dockers Social Club. We ended up stopping in the Pier View Hotel, which makes it sound very grand but it is not, a real time warp with cheap basic food.

As to Tudor Lodge, we were fooled by Nicholsons saying is it on the other side of the canal.

The Berkley Arms at Purton is open Lunch Times on Saturday and Sunday and opens at 7pm Tuesdays - Sundays. No food but in my opinion a good pub also a bonus no children allowed inside.

I don't agree with you much but I do agree about the Berkley Arms....it rates in my top ten pubs.

Cheers

Gareth