Is this too close to moor to next boat?

DillyDally

Featured Posts

Hi, We've just moored on the offside 24hr moorings in Stone on the T&M. I said we'd get into a gap left between 2 boats but moh wasn't convinced... We did it without incident but we're touching fenders - the guy behind was ok with this and even came out to budge his boat up a little but moh is worried about what the guy in front is going to say when he gets back. Just thought I'd ask your opinions - should we move on? unsure.png

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152057197017854&set=pcb.10152057199542854&type=1&theater

I took a few snaps and posted them on my FB page but I'm not sure if you'll be able to see them from the link I've pasted in above!

We've often moored this close. Can sometimes cause an issue if someone goes past a bit quick and the boats move a lot. If you've concerned you could put a couple of springs out. These are extra mooring lines that stop the boat from mooring backwards and forwards excessively.

Now't wrong with that, sensible use of available space.

I've told this story before. A couple of years ago now, we were at the Battlefield Moorings on the Ashby, a "Challenger" was using the same ring as us. In the morning I was about to walk the dog and a male from the "Challenger" asked me if I was moving on soon. I said "I didn't know and why"? His reply, "We are having to share mooring rings with you and the boat at our stern".

I thought that was one of the narrowboat virtues, cosying up to your neighbour and having a chat?

Thanks peeps - you've put our minds at rest. Good idea about the springs Chalky, shame we haven't got any, I'll put them on the Chandlery shopping list. It's only 24 hrs so sure it'll fine this time! :-)

You can use any bit of rope as a spring (it's not actually a spring) as long as you don't use a roof-mounted centre line.

Amen. That is how most of the "slow down" brigade moor.

If they didnt want a boat between them they shouldnt have left such a big gap.

It is really frustrating at the popular mooring spots (pubs, shops, touristy stuff etc) when folks moor up leaving a 30/40foot gap between every boat (what a waste of space). Used to fool them tho' when we had the 30 footer - we'd slot in nicely with a choice of mooring positions.

If they didnt want a boat between them they shouldnt have left such a big gap.

It is really frustrating at the popular mooring spots (pubs, shops, touristy stuff etc) when folks moor up leaving a 30/40foot gap between every boat (what a waste of space). Used to fool them tho' when we had the 30 footer - we'd slot in nicely with a choice of mooring positions.

I do that with the yoghurt pot (25.5') virtually never have problem finding a mooring, though have had some funny looks from people who obviously thought it was going to stay empty!

Hi, We've just moored on the offside 24hr moorings in Stone on the T&M. I said we'd get into a gap left between 2 boats but moh wasn't convinced... We did it without incident but we're touching fenders - the guy behind was ok with this and even came out to budge his boat up a little but moh is worried about what the guy in front is going to say when he gets back. Just thought I'd ask your opinions - should we move on? unsure.png

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152057197017854&set=pcb.10152057199542854&type=1&theater

I took a few snaps and posted them on my FB page but I'm not sure if you'll be able to see them from the link I've pasted in above!

I wish they all moored like that

I did once try to get 50 foot of boat into a 49.5 foot space.....however everyone had a shuffle and we all made new friends...at busy mooring spots it's only to be expected....the only time it's a bit annoying is when you are out in the wilds only to find someone moored right up to you when there is miles of empty pliling.

I must say it's the joy of having a smaller boat (by modern standards of 57+ footers) that means we can slot into spaces others can't....

I have been horrified though to leave my boat nicely tucked in on a busy visitors mooring and go out for a couple of hours only to come back to find other boats each side have moved on and It looking like I'm a right inconsiderate person...

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Well done on getting it in there, I would not have been confident enough to try

I had to smile when I arrived at the top of fradley junction locks knackered. I had already decided not to go down as I was on my own.

So when I asked the guys moored on the visitor moorings if there was space they told me I HAD to go down the locks. I spotted a bit of alco behind the first boat and put mine into reverse.

They then shouted that I would never get Semper in as it was shallow! Challenge accepted!!!!

I got the back end in, put 2 stakes in and put a chain in the alco for the front, took about 10 mins, job done.

Sat outside with kids cup of tea, feeling just slightly smugicecream.gif

But then I am known for getting 50 foot into 49 foot. I also have no problem with fenders touching.

Edited by pykebird

That's fine however watch it if you put the bow to the stern of a big boat I arrived at the boats last year to discover badly scratched fore end , blue paint all over the top bends. I was wandering around t cutting it off when a local informed me that someone had moored so close that a passing boat washed them into our bow. Result snapped rams head. Course I was more concerned about my paint...