Back boiler - more trouble than it's worth?

Featured Posts

50 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

why should a dry boiler melt? The rest of the stove doesn't.

There is usually firebricks protecting the stove, the boilers are in contact with the fire and will distort if empty. Also many were/are glass lined inside, that will melt.

18 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

It would be a very interesting day for everyone if gravity were to fail..........

An understatement there. 

But water not circulating in a pipe system, well that not too hard to imagine is it?

I was unclogging gunk out of a pipe 2 days ago.  It was a sealed system, so logically there was no way for it to be there, yet there it was ?‍♀️

Edited by doratheexplorer

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I thought long and hard about upgrading my Squirrel to have a back boiler.  The stove currently heats my boat fine, so the reason for me would be for the hot water.   I'm  sure if I had it installed, I'd love it while it worked ok, but the issue for me is when something goes wrong.  I don't think I could ever sleep soundly with a system in which water could be boiling in pipes and with the chance that the pressue build up wouldn't be able to escape.  With a pump system, the pump could fail at any time, and it's depleting batteries.  With a gravity system like Tom has described above, if something goes wrong, the gravity circulation slows or stops and the water starts boiling....  the consequences could be very bad indeed. 

I'd rather find other ways of heating my water.

With a prv in the same position as that in the picture and the header tank positioned close to the stove, you have a safeguard against any problems that may arise. One important consideration is the reduced heat from the stove once a back boiler is drawing heat off to another appliance.

FB_IMG_1519723483569.jpg

2 minutes ago, BWM said:

With a prv in the same position as that in the picture and the header tank positioned close to the stove, you have a safeguard against any problems that may arise. One important consideration is the reduced heat from the stove once a back boiler is drawing heat off to another appliance.

FB_IMG_1519723483569.jpg

An excellent safeguard, as long as the PRV always functions as it should.

p.s. that looks like MY kettle?!!!

p.p.s your stove is wonky.

p.p.p.s you have an eco fan.  So you views are null and void.

p.p.p.p.s your stove surround doesn't get my thumbs up.  It doesn't look safe from pyrolysis.

Edited by doratheexplorer

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

An excellent safeguard, as long as the PRV always functions as it should.

p.s. that looks like MY kettle?!!!

p.p.s your stove is wonky.

p.p.p.s you have an eco fan.  So you views are null and void.

p.p.p.p.s your stove surround doesn't get my thumbs up.  It doesn't look safe from pyrolysis.

The header tank in that location is a safeguard against prv faliure, stove is set as to allow a smooth flow for efficient gravity. 

Eco fan was a present from a good friend, hence its location on the floor rather than waste space on the stove top!

Not come across the term pyrolysis but it sounds itchy.

2 hours ago, BWM said:

FB_IMG_1519723483569.jpg

When I was a kid living in a council house the water was heated by a backboiler but no rads. In the winter you could easily get the system boiling and steam coming out of the safety valve. The fire was downstairs and the hot water cylinder almost straight above it so good circulation through big pipes.

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Thought it was bear steel painted redish