Cruising a 70footer by myself?

Marjorie

Featured Posts

Marjorie, I hope you don't mind me asking.

I note your current boat is being fitted out, how much experience do you have of actually moving her, beyond her current berth?

Also living afloat, rather than "camping out" in a building site?

As your current boat is so very different to a typical narrowboat, and if your experience is limited, may I suggest, that hiring a 70 footer for a while (normally the suggestion is for a month, out of season, to see how you get on. Bad weather, emptying and filling various tanks, lack of space, handling, etc.)

Bod

A strangely emotive one, this!

The following are in my view (usually) facts......

1) Licensing a 70' boat will cost more than a shorter one.

2) (Generally) mooring prices are by length, so 70' will cost proportionally more.

3) Blacking is generally by length.

4) Coachwork painting is by length.

5) Even if you DIY blacking or painting, the materials will still cost proportionally more.

6) Suitable places to turn araound become less frequent, and on many canal navigations 70 feet can only usually be turned at nominated winding holes (or junctions). This can mean going a lot of extra distance sometimes - our 40 foot boat will spin around on many "normal" bits of canal - a useful bonus.

7) You are less likely to be able to find a casual mooring at busy popular places with a longer boat. (We can fit our 40 foot boat into many places we could not fit our 50 foot one, and many of the gaps you come across will fit 50 feet, but certainly not 70 feet).

These are perhaps more subjective......

8) A full length boat swims and steers better, (assuming sensible hull design), and will generally hold a course better, even if you let go of the tiller.

9) On a fully cabined boat, (despite what others have said), I contest it is actually harder to pull it, (or even hold it!), against a bank in a strong wind. Tall cabin sides act like sails, and just like sails, the bigger it is, the more force the wind can exert on it.

These I would argue are not true......

10) A full length boat is harder work when on the move.

11) A full length boat is harder work in locks, (unless it is a genuinely really full length one of up to 72 feet, and you are having to lift fenders and generally shuffle to get it into locks where the more normal length of a working boat was a foot or two less).

But I'm aware some will disagree with me!

I'd disagree with 9). I can't remember having to fight our boat into the bank against the wind, even though she has nearly no draught. Perhaps I have become more sensitive to wind direction and avoid that kind of situation. I know I pick my loitering spots at locks to take advantage of hedges on windy days

Richard

Marjorie, I hope you don't mind me asking.

I note your current boat is being fitted out, how much experience do you have of actually moving her, beyond her current berth?

Also living afloat, rather than "camping out" in a building site?

As your current boat is so very different to a typical narrowboat, and if your experience is limited, may I suggest, that hiring a 70 footer for a while (normally the suggestion is for a month, out of season, to see how you get on. Bad weather, emptying and filling various tanks, lack of space, handling, etc.)

Bod

It's good questions. We don't live on the one we're fitting out, we live on a different one (much smaller, and finished) - but she doesn't move, and she isn't a narrowboat (she's a lighter). ED: That's not actually true - she doesn't have an engine, but she moves plenty, because where we live is tidal and very, very windy.

You're quite right, if I was actually seriously thinking of buying a 70 footer, I'd want to have had a good go first (and will then make the trip up to Kenilworth to see Richard!).

I don't feel uncomfortable with the weather/ tank emptying/ filling/ bits at all - they are familiar, albeit in a different setting, but there's no way I'd commit to buying anything that costs as much as a boat without being pretty darn sure it was going to work for me (as sure as you can ever be. We've lived on Serendipity for 4 years now, and she still occasionally comes up with something I wasn't expecting).

Edited by Marjorie

Thanks for the reply.

I would still suggest a hire period, maybe a smaller 30-40 foot, if you will be on your own for most of the time.

The theory is that 3-4 weeks hire in November, is a lot easier, and cheaper than spending, £30-80,000, only to find its not for you!

There are numerous stories on this forum, where newcomers, do not realise, where the water in the taps on board comes from, or where the loo flushes to!

And as to where the electricity comes from.....

Bod

Ps

Not trying to put you off, but making sure your eyes are wide open.

Sounds like more messing around, and without the centre line, which can be thrown up onto the lock side, would need a walk through the boat to throw the fore line up, etc etc.

I never walk through the boat in a lock, I walk alongside it with lines in my hand.

Both my fore and aft line are within reach from my steering position and ready to deploy.

Two lines are easier than one because you have control of the whole boat with no pivot point for the boat to swing around on.

I would suggest trying it but most folks' lines are far too short.

1). The worst thing about a 70 footer is navigating around twisty canals (like the southern oxford). The modal size of boats that use it are 57-60 footers and the track has worn to accommodate. Your carefully planned approach can be foiled by the mud having other ideas. The same applied to parts of the BCN

2). Mooring spaces in popular spots can be difficult enough for 60 feet, let alone another 10.

Doing it single handed just makes it more of a challenge.

1). The worst thing about a 70 footer is navigating around twisty canals (like the southern oxford). The modal size of boats that use it are 57-60 footers and the track has worn to accommodate. Your carefully planned approach can be foiled by the mud having other ideas. The same applied to parts of the BCN

2). Mooring spaces in popular spots can be difficult enough for 60 feet, let alone another 10.

Doing it single handed just makes it more of a challenge.

As much of my single handing in a full length boat (72') was done on the South Oxford I must disagree.

Apart from one very dry summer where I just turned round and went North (in a 40 footer) I have never had any real problems but the occasional running aground has never really troubled me.

I never had any trouble getting mooring spots but, then again, I seem to have used mooring stakes more than most do these days and didn't rely on visitor moorings. The rings are never properly spaced anyway.

I'm not sure why the lack of dredging or space at VMs makes it more of a challenge for single handers though.

I can certainly say that pulling a 70ft boat in with a centre rope against a wind can be very hard.. So just don't move on very windy days.

All the points above are true -70ft costs more to moor, paint, black, licence. They can't get into spaces less than 70ft at visitor moorings. I have to travel 5 hours in one direction to wind, but a 55 ft boat can easily wind just 100 yards from my mooring.

Do I care? Not really. I like my boat. Its got loads of room, and steers nicely.

Ask me again at the end of the summer when I've finished painting it!

I should add, I regularly single hand.. Not a problem.

I should add, I regularly single hand.. Not a problem.

Me too, in both my boats. 45ft and 68ft, (both with vintage engines, for what that's worth). They are equally easy to handle solo.

The only problem I find is winding the 68ft boat solo in the supposedly 70ft winding hole at Claydon, as it draws about 2ft 6in and the breeze fair blasts down the cut and opposes the turn. I've been helped by towpath walkers taking a line but I'm sure there must be a way to do it, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Marjorie you're welcome to have a steer of my boat too if you wish, so you can compare how things change with the draft. Richard's floats happily on a damp tea towel, I think he said!

MtB

(Spellin' edit)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

OP - - our first holiday boats were 69'6" - (on the Llangollen) and were a joy to handle (single or two-handed)

After a little practice, you'll discover that making the correct handling decisions, taking your time, working with the weather - not against it, you will be suitably proud of how well you will handle the boat.

Yes, they are slightly dearer to maintain and run (than a short boat) - but then, you have a deal more boat!!!

Go for it! (and have a day with with Richard on Tawny Owl - he's a lovely chap!)

Me too, in both my boats. 45ft and 68ft, (both with vintage engines, for what that's worth). They are equally easy to handle solo.

The only problem I find is winding the 68ft boat solo in the supposedly 70ft winding hole at Claydon, as it draws about 2ft 6in and the breeze fair blasts down the cut and opposes the turn. I've been helped by towpath walkers taking a line but I'm sure there must be a way to do it, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Marjorie you're welcome to have a steer of my boat too if you wish, so you can compare how things change with the draft. Richard's floats happily on a damp tea towel, I think he said!

MtB

(Spellin' edit)

I used to do Chellaston winding hole by putting the bow in, getting the boat 90 degrees, then reversing, stepping off the back, and pulling a line from a stern post. You can turn in pretty tight places like that. Have to shove the back of the boat away from the back every now and then, but the bow turns in nicely.

Last couple of times I've done this, there has been a lot of flow on the canal, and its been tough going, as the whole boat starts to drift, so this time, I decided to use the flow.. Reversed in as far as I dared, and allowed the flow to push the bow round. The nearer the bow to the bank, the bigger the effect, so the stern didn't have to go far back (though it was kicking up aloud of mud with the idle-speed help I was giving the bow!

Edited by FidoDido

Yes it is.

If you want to know what handling a 70' boat is like, I'm sure we can organise a trip out on our boat for you

Richard

Or get yourself up to Braunston Historic Boat Rally where there will be several 70 footers testing their steerers abilities. Several forum members boats will be there, so if you ask nicely I'm sure someone will let you steer in the parade.

Unfortunately Fulbourne won't be there this year, otherwise I'd offer myself.

In fact, never mind the historic boats, turn up anyway. It will be a good opportunity to meet some people and get onto some boats without having a salesman hanging around

Richard

My first go on a boat was a 70 footer... it was much easier than I expected. For the first few times have someone with you down front until you figure out wots wot with the pointy end. Hand signals for stop, reverse, left & right agreed upon before hand are advisable because you wont hear anything they shout at you over the engine noise. A little bit of practise and you wont know what you were worried about :)

I have not handled a 70 footer but the smallest I've handled was 32ft and the biggest was 58ft.

Don't know if it's just me but I've always found that the bigger the boat is the easier it is to handle

No, it isn't just you

Richard

I agree. my own 30 footer steers like a pig with a stick up its arse. biggrin.png Reg (45ft) is lovely, albeit at first it feels like steering a truck with broken power steering. Anything over 60ft (Aldebaran, Cobbett) point and shoot, easy. biggrin.png

Such charming and delightful turns of phrase you come up with Coasty :D

MtB