Stern line on tiller

Ray T

Featured Posts

I will probably get howls of derision from some quarters, so be it.

Some folks find it handy to keep the stern line on the tiller, usually over the tiller pin or wrapped round the tiller it self.

The main objections being if the tiller needs to be taken off in a hurry the line can obstruct this.

Keeping it on the slide is often quoted as the "traditional" place to store the stern line.

One solution I came up with is this:

14344550096_28bebded77_b.jpg

This keeps the coil neatly off the tiller.

Just a length of rope, 2 splices and a snap shackle.

The line is protected from possibly getting caught on lock gates by the fenders.

I tried it on a little trip to "The Boat" this afternoon and it caused me no bother.

ETA from a comment Richard has just made below. If the line is wet it drips on the fenders not on the slide or the counter.

Waiting for flack: hardhat-emoticon.gif

Edited by Ray T

Is there really a right or wrong way to do it?? Looking at old photos I don't see many w/boats with the rope on the roof either.

Darren

No. I expect they hung it inside to,keep it dry

Richard

Some folks find it handy to keep the stern line on the tiller, usually over the tiller pin or wrapped round the tiller it self.

The main objections being if the tiller needs to be taken off in a hurry the line can obstruct this.

Keeping it on the slide is often quoted as the "traditional" place to store the stern line.

The line is protected from possibly getting caught on lock gates by the fenders.

I tried it on a little trip to "The Boat" this afternoon and it caused me no bother.

ETA from a comment Richard has just made below. If the line is wet it drips on the fenders not on the slide or the counter.

Met a guy on the Thames with his rope just like that, surprising how long it takes to get it ready to use if you need it in a hurry. I was taught always have the rope ready, you don't know when you will need it and it was re enforced when I did my IHC with Tam a boater I have a lot of respect for.

Met a guy on the Thames with his rope just like that, surprising how long it takes to get it ready to use if you need it in a hurry. I was taught always have the rope ready, you don't know when you will need it and it was re enforced when I did my IHC with Tam a boater I have a lot of respect for.

I tried it, about the same time as taking the line off the slide and putting it on the dolly as uncliping it and the line is already on the dolly.

Also you don't have to bend down and possibly clout your head on the tiller on the way up - I have managed that.

Interesting in the offshore world with modern yachts the warps are always stowed in the cockpit lockers when not in use so they are hardly ready for instant use.

On older sailing craft the lines / ropes / halyards were often coiled on belaying pins:

800px-Cordages.jpg

I never come across any complaints with this method of stowing.

The snap shackle could be replaced with a toggle rope if a bit of tradition is preferred:

toggle-rope.jpg

Edited by Ray T

I always keep my stern line coiled around the tiller pin and have never understood the objections to this. It's totally safe, readily accessible for use, and if I needed to remove the tiller suddenly (although I have never seen a situation that would require that) it would make no difference to the ease of this.

Our stern line is always stowed on one of the side seats in the semi trad stern.

It can be deployed in seconds on either dolly and interferes with neither the tiller nor the prop should it fall in.

It also keeps it from under our feet.

Edited by The Dog House

Our stern line is always stowed on one of the side seats in the semi trad stern.

It can be deployed in seconds on either dolly and interferes with neither the tiller nor the prop should it fall in.

It also keeps it from under our feet.

Exactly what we do. The dog chewed it a bit when he was a puppy, but no other problems to report. I don't like ropes left on the dolly because I am a clumsy short sighted chump and constantly get tangled in such ropes.

I have to confess that I have been unduly influenced by Graham Booth's comment in one of his books where he claims that keeping the rope on the tiller pin is naff. I feel that this topic has broadened my mind a little and I am willing to accept the practice as safe and practical even if I will not be following it myself. I have a hook in the cabin just by the steps and a short snotter. I pass the snotter through the coiled line and put both eyes of the snotter on the hook.

N

Thinking about it, having to move the stern rope from one side to the other, while coming in to moor in a difficult spot, is not something I enjoy. Does anyone have 2 stern ropes permanently in place?

An example...moored up..stern line tied up on the starboard side....move to water point..need to quickly change it over to port side....then back to mooring...change over again to starboard again....

Edited by DeanS

Ray - I think your back end looks very neat and tidy - everything clean and in it's place. Going by other pictures I've seen of your boat, it think the method you use for your stern line fits in very well. Who cares what others think as long as you & Mrs T are happy with it.

Thinking about it, having to move the stern rope from one side to the other, while coming in to moor in a difficult spot, is not something I enjoy. Does anyone have 2 stern ropes permanently in place?

An example...moored up..stern line tied up on the starboard side....move to water point..need to quickly change it over to port side....then back to mooring...change over again to starboard again....

Dean, don't you unhook your stern line before setting off to the water point?

We keep ours coiled up in the centre of the life ring which lives on the roof of the back hatch; when not in use.

I always keep my stern line coiled around the tiller pin and have never understood the objections to this. It's totally safe, readily accessible for use, and if I needed to remove the tiller suddenly (although I have never seen a situation that would require that) it would make no difference to the ease of this.

The thing is that it ISN'T "totally safe".

Why keep a rope permanently in an ideal position to knock it off and get it round the prop.

Why keep a rope permanently in an ideal position to knock it off and get it round the prop.

How does it get knocked off unless it defies gravity by travelling over the tiller pin?

We had this recently. The objection is accidentally pulling out the tillerpin and dropping it in the cut

Richard

Mine stays on the same side irrespective of which side I'm moored. It makes no difference to mooring; I still achieve a 45 degree angle and it doesn't interfere with anything else

Well I have cruised extensively around the system, much of it single-handed, and find it the most appropriate place for use and have never come even remotely close to knocking it off. So, yes, in my case I'm happy that it is totally safe.

How does it get knocked off unless it defies gravity by travelling over the tiller pin?

Precisely

Our stern line is left connected to a dolly, whichever side it happens to be on. It is carefully coiled and then slipped along the tiller bar until it meets the tiller pin. Stowed like this it cannot get dropped, lost, stood on, sat on, tangled, wrapped around the prop or chewed by the dog. It just sits there and annoys the petty-minded nautical purists.

• Greenie 2

I have to confess that I have been unduly influenced by Graham Booth's comment in one of his books where he claims that keeping the rope on the tiller pin is naff. I feel that this topic has broadened my mind a little and I am willing to accept the practice as safe and practical even if I will not be following it myself. I have a hook in the cabin just by the steps and a short snotter. I pass the snotter through the coiled line and put both eyes of the snotter on the hook.

N

I'm definitely in the naff brigade. I'd rather have the stern line safely secured on the tiller than standing on it while placed by the dollies, possibly kicking it over the back anywhere near the propeller. The tiller pin cannot be accidentally pulled out, it has a key ring through a hole at the bottom of the pin. smile.png

• Greenie 1

I normally store my stern line on the rear counter, already looped onto a dolly.

This way it's instantly ready for use and makes a really comfortable mat for standing on.

:)

MtB

Steady Mike, you are sounding far too sensible! Yes we too keep it on the counter attached to the last dolly used, but I do try to poke it to the back, up against or onto the "cants" so it is not too much underfoot. Having spent the first 40 years of my life with my shoes deliberately untied just to see how many people would tell me I was about to trip on my laces, and yet having never so tripped, I think the hazard is insignificant. Now stepping off the boat with the rope only to find the other end is not attached to the boat: that is a serious hazard - to one's cool persona at least.

Sorry but for me, ropes over the tiller is a bit too ordered, but each to their own.

Steady Mike, you are sounding far too sensible! Yes we too keep it on the counter attached to the last dolly used, but I do try to poke it to the back, up against or onto the "cants" so it is not too much underfoot. Having spent the first 40 years of my life with my shoes deliberately untied just to see how many people would tell me I was about to trip on my laces, and yet having never so tripped, I think the hazard is insignificant. Now stepping off the boat with the rope only to find the other end is not attached to the boat: that is a serious hazard - to one's cool persona at least.

Sorry but for me, ropes over the tiller is a bit too ordered, but each to their own.

I hope this isn't naff, too, but I have two centre lines, one for the left and one for the right. This is for convenience and not wanting to find the need to flip the rope over to the other side. Sometimes I know that I would forget to prepare a single centre line for landing. It is the centre line I use, so, the one hanging from the tiller is not the first rope on my mind when stepping orft.

Edited by Higgs

I hope this isn't naff, too, but I have two centre lines, one for the left and one for the right. This is for convenience and not wanting to find the need to flip the rope over to the other side. Sometimes I know that I would forget to prepare a single centre line for landing. It is the centre line I use, so, the one hanging from the tiller is not the first rope on my mind when stepping orft.

No not naff if you are single handed. Although when I boat single handed I just think about which side the towpath is going to be and put the rope on that side. If I do forget, it doesn't seem that difficult to flick the rope over and let's face it, if following such an error, a second attempt at landing is required it is not usually a big deal on still-water canals. If there is a current, the centre rope can be a bit dodgy anyway.

No not naff if you are single handed. Although when I boat single handed I just think about which side the towpath is going to be and put the rope on that side. If I do forget, it doesn't seem that difficult to flick the rope over and let's face it, if following such an error, a second attempt at landing is required it is not usually a big deal on still-water canals. If there is a current, the centre rope can be a bit dodgy anyway.

Yes, I imagine more forethought is necessary in currents. Also, a bit dodgy to tie a boat off by the centre line, waiting at the bottom of a lock with loads of water gushing by as the lock empties. So the welder I used to work with realised. He had to cut the centre line to stop the boat keeling over.

Edited by Higgs

Hmmm I think I can trump that in terms of looking stupidly uncool.

Same scenario with a stern line inadvertantly not attached to the stern dolly, but this time entering a really deep Thames lock going uphill. I expertly chucked the line about 12ft vertically up to the waiting lockie, only for him to receive ALL of the line... DOH!

MtB