s-type windows?

Marjorie

Featured Posts

i would love S type windows as you take them out in summer, a tad on the expensive side for me as i have 12 windows sad.png

I didn't even look at the price...!

I wonder if they'd be leaky because the glass comes out. Or maybe that's just silly.

We had some of these fitted last year. They don't leak and are easy to clean plus it feels like the view is bigger? On the negative side they don't look as nice on the inside as more traditional windows and the latch mechanism feels cheap and can be as bit awkward to close...

Fitted a few, some better than others. I had 2 new ones left when we closed but no one wanted them...I was gobsmacked, I'd have let them go dirt cheap! Course they might not have matched anyone's, but for the glass if nothing else. Hey ho.

I prefer ports personally, but the s type are easy to fit, easy to look after, good to look out of.

Fitted a few, some better than others. I had 2 new ones left when we closed but no one wanted them...I was gobsmacked, I'd have let them go dirt cheap! Course they might not have matched anyone's, but for the glass if nothing else. Hey ho.

I prefer ports personally, but the s type are easy to fit, easy to look after, good to look out of.

There's an s-type porthole too, by the looks of things.

They are really rather expensive though, now I've actually looked.

Maybe someone could buy me some for christmas...

I have 10 of the portholes in this design and love them. I often remove the glass to let the air in. They are also handy when the cat wants to come in, she knocks at the one she wants and I just remove the glass!

I have put a reflective film on mine that stops people being able to see in, looks like a mirror from the outside.

I have not had problem with them leaking.

As for the cost, I am far too tight to pay the full price and if I remember the whole lot cost me around £200.

(Note to me, I must stop replying to you threads)

My Management loves really fresh air so we have hopper windows with a sliding half pane - more than most boats - and It's still not to her requirements....

'S' type windows look innovative, horrid on the cut, and who's going to remove the glass when the British Weather is what we desire of it (warm/ hot and sunny).

If the glass it out and you pass through a leaky (Oxford), you'll get wet. With a hopper open, probably not.

Slow down Marjorie.

Once we have completed your narrowboating indoctrination, you'll want nothing other than proper brass portholes, which you will choose not to polish...

smile.png

MtB

(Edt to korrect spilling erors)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

The boat we are buying on Tuesday has these windows, a mix of "square" and porthole.

Unusually they have been powder coated in a "slightly tarnished brass" colour. There are no signs of leaks on the internal woodwork.

I'll let you know how we get on with them.

In the meantime, other than shot blasting the windows, does anyone know how to remove the powder coating, as I prefer the polished aluminium look.

Alan

We've had these on our boat from new (coming up 7 years) and they've never caused any problems at all (windows and ports)

Also, as there is nothing protruding inside the window frame you can easily fit the acrylic secondary glazing panels lots of us use in winter, this isn't aways possible with other window styles. Also easy to take out the glass to clean all round.

The boat we are buying on Tuesday has these windows, a mix of "square" and porthole.

Unusually they have been powder coated in a "slightly tarnished brass" colour. There are no signs of leaks on the internal woodwork.

I'll let you know how we get on with them.

In the meantime, other than shot blasting the windows, does anyone know how to remove the powder coating, as I prefer the polished aluminium look.

Alan

Are you sure they are powder coated? Most aluminium is coloured by dying the anodising oxide film before it is hydrolysed. In the case of windows this is normally done to the extruded sections before they are cut and bent to shape

If they are powder coated AFAIK they can only be blasted (with the right medium) and then will need to be re-polished and re-anodised. The aluminium will get smaller and the bends are likely to change shape. It will almost certainly be cheaper to buy new ones.

If they are dyed anodising they can be de-anodised and re-anodised in a new colour (clear). It would probably be cheaper to buy new ones.

N