Improving onboard Mobile communications

KJT

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Mmm! Says 5G in the headline, but only mentions 4G LTE Cat 6 in the details. It does say 5GHz in the detail so I wonder if that’s the 5G.

ive had a bit of a Google and everything says that 5G was only rolled out in the U.K. a few months ago, and only in a few big cities.

Think I’ll wait a while until the mud clears :) 

Yep, no mention of 5G in the description, only in the headline.

Also only one sim.......we need two for when you hit a black hole on '3'!!!

Reasonable price though if it did do 5G.

19 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Ill switch to 5G contract....many of them should be unlimited as that's what 5G is all about.....once I can see a decent (not expensive ) router. Any suggestions?

Mr Google failed to find me any when I went looking yesterday. 

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Mr Google failed to find me any when I went looking yesterday. 

Ive been very impressed with my Teltonika router over the past 2 years so it would be nice when they bring out a new one with 5G.

I guess the roll out in cities will mean no coverage of 5G out in the sticks so maybe this time next year will be the time to switch. Having said that, we are using our 3 unlimited 4G and EE 4G to stream HD via Netflicks etc which is plenty fast enough (when not in a black hole) so for watching TV 4G is fine......so 5G may make 4G better by taking some of the traffic. For a 'fixed' router, 5G may be great but when moving round the network 4G should be OK.

Just to add my experience with three on 4g. West on the K&A between Newbury and Bath it can get very patchy and certainly does need a good tall aerial pole with lte antenna. In many places, I've had no signal on the phone (a separate three sim) for weeks on end. I read somewhere (prolly on here) that three phone reception suffers where it cannot drop back to (gsm?) below 3g, as they don't use those types of signal at all - only 3g/4g. Certainly would explain my findings.

But, with the aerial up, I now use the phone socket on the Huwaei router to make calls where the mobile phone can't. I will probably change provider for my mobile phone sim next time but stick with the three phone/data sim in the 4g router (because at £20 for unlimited everything it does the job).

I have B525s-23a router and a mimo omni directional aerial.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

Hmmm, nope, not fact, opinion. And incorrect to boot. 

Wotever! .... when you get another boat, get the same equipment and sim as me and try it ... then give me your opinion based on FACT as mine is ... dont just sit googling in your chair and calling me a liar... oh and dont bother responding again please as I have far more important things to do with my time than making sure anyone potentially looking for a dog b*llox internet setup isnt dissuaded by an armchair expert , but gets the factual feedback of someone that actually uses the equipment on a daily basis.

Rick

• Unimpressed 1

9 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

Wotever! .... when you get another boat, get the same equipment and sim as me and try it ... then give me your opinion based on FACT as mine is ... dont just sit googling in your chair and calling me a liar... oh and dont bother responding again please as I have far more important things to do with my time than making sure anyone potentially looking for a dog b*llox internet setup isnt dissuaded by an armchair expert , but gets the factual feedback of someone that actually uses the equipment on a daily basis.

Rick

So show us a screen grab of 1000Mbps then. Only then does it become a fact. Until that time it’s a misunderstood 4G. 

Interestingly I was in Stoke Golding today and couldn’t even get 3G. 

23 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I seem to remember one of the carriers was trying to claim a 4G LTE was sort of 5G.  Which of course it isn’t. 

Nope. It’s nice and fast though, and what I use out in the sticks. I regularly see around 40Mbps with it. Be nice to see 400Mbps I guess...

Edited by WotEver

On 31/07/2019 at 15:46, dccruiser said:

Rick

On 31/07/2019 at 15:48, WotEver said:

So show us a screen grab of 1000Mbps then. Only then does it become a fact. Until that time it’s a misunderstood 4G. 

Interestingly I was in Stoke Golding today and couldn’t even get 3G. 

I think I may have got to the bottom of this.

I went into the EE shop in Daventry this afternoon to look at their deals on 300/500Gig of data. The data sims come with a router. On the box, in 3 places are the letters '5G'. I asked the girl if the router was 5G ready.....she looked on the box and said Yes....

In the quick set up you can read the words "5G" many times and it is even stamped on the bottom of the router.

Absolutely.....this router ...and sim work on 5G....FACT.

BUT

it is not the 5G we are talking about. This refers to the 5Ghz radio transmission of the wifi IN your router to your attached devices. IT IS NOT the 4G/5G transmission from the masts. DC is NOT getting 5G reception. He is getting the very fast and very reliable 4G EE signals that I have been getting for the last 2 years. 5G is not up and running in the areas DC has been in.

DC, as Tony asks, can you grab a screen shot of your download speed to show us you are only on 4G to confirm the above?

I think more peeps will get confused over this as the router box manufacturers are using the words 5G instead of 5Ghz.

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

This refers to the 5Ghz radio transmission of the wifi IN your router to your attached devices. IT IS NOT the 4G/5G transmission from the masts.

Yup, as per post #222. And as per just about any other router you might buy today. 

Coincidentally I just 2 minutes ago received a notification from Three that if you have a 5G ready device (which most likely means a Samsung Galaxy at present) then you’ll get a free upgrade to 5G once it’s launched in the next month or so. That’s for all Three customers at no extra cost as far as I’m aware. 

• 3 weeks later...

Two things 5G related...

Three announced the launch of 5G in London this week (Monday) with the promise of other cities later in the year.

A very interesting article looking at 5G in the real world in one place that has it (South Korea):

https://assets.ctfassets.net/ob7bbcsqy5m2/2SSfPmsOLs70piJefu0DT7/d7cf4f255950cbee07d2c60042bf4329/RootMetrics_5G_First_Look-South_Korea_Report.pdf

Cheers,
Tony

On 02/08/2019 at 16:35, WotEver said:

I just 2 minutes ago received a notification from Three that if you have a 5G ready device (which most likely means a Samsung Galaxy at present) then you’ll get a free upgrade to 5G once it’s launched in the next month or so. That’s for all Three customers at no extra cost as far as I’m aware. 

Three G-ers!

Hip Hip Huawei!

• Haha 2

On 02/08/2019 at 16:35, WotEver said:

Yup, as per post #222. And as per just about any other router you might buy today. 

Coincidentally I just 2 minutes ago received a notification from Three that if you have a 5G ready device (which most likely means a Samsung Galaxy at present) then you’ll get a free upgrade to 5G once it’s launched in the next month or so. That’s for all Three customers at no extra cost as far as I’m aware. 

I doubt my Lumia 620 is 5g ready, but it does have an excellent anti theft feature, it’s a windows phone ....  

added - a friend of mine had his car broken into, they had his laptop but left his windows phone on the passenger seat.....

Edited by Chewbacka

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Two things 5G related...

Three announced the launch of 5G in London this week (Monday) with the promise of other cities later in the year.

Well, I have a Samsung A9, with 3 network, with unlimited data, and on Sunday had a family day out in London.

Not only did the phone work all day, it even stopped the traffic so we had our picnic in the middle of Regent Street. Just down from Hamleys, and the postcode was W1B 5

3 cheers for 3 network.

20190818_140030.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

a friend of mine had his car broken into, they had his laptop but left his windows phone on the passenger seat...

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain warn ukulele fans to never leave their instrument on the back seat of their car. Some scrote will smash the window and throw another one in!

• Greenie 2

12 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I doubt my Lumia 620 is 5g ready, but it does have an excellent anti theft feature, it’s a windows phone ....  

added - a friend of mine had his car broken into, they had his laptop but left his windows phone on the passenger seat.....

About 5 years ago our daughter was living in Madrid, which has a massive problem with pickpockets.  She had two iPhones stolen within the first 6 months.  She could not afford another iPhone so got a £150 Android phone from eBay, she had that for the following 18 months with no attempts to steal it.

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

About 5 years ago our daughter was living in Madrid, which has a massive problem with pickpockets.  She had two iPhones stolen within the first 6 months.  She could not afford another iPhone so got a £150 Android phone from eBay, she had that for the following 18 months with no attempts to steal it.

Maybe they stole the android and then put it back again. 

I wonder how they knew she had an iPhone. 

Perhaps they see someone using one, then follow them. 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Maybe they stole the android and then put it back again. 

Reminds me of that joke about melodions. 

The Melodion Society is warning people not to leave their melodions in plain sight on the back seat of their cars. Criminals keep smashing the windows and throwing another one in.

:giggles:

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Reminds me of that joke about melodions. 

The Melodion Society is warning people not to leave their melodions in plain sight on the back seat of their cars. Criminals keep smashing the windows and throwing another one in.

:giggles:

WotEver did that one yesterday, but it was  a eukele. 

• 3 weeks later...

Despite having dabbled in physics in my wild youth I have next to no understanding of how antennae work.

I was having a little read of this article about the basics: https://grouptestwinner.com/external-4g-antenna-aerial/

One of the main reasons that 4G is faster than 3G is because it allows combining two or more antennas to increase performance.

It goes on to say you should buy a MIMO (multi input, multi output) antenna so that you can take advantage of this.

These units have two antennae within one casing, and have two cables coming out that go to your 4G router.

It struck me though that these antennae are basically co-located.

Wouldn't it be more effective then to have two antennae mounted on seperate masts at either end of my 65' bote?

This way I'll get a stronger signal when the signal is stronger fore, stronger signal when the signal is stronger aft, and strongest signal when there is good signal at both ends and they can work together?