Improving onboard Mobile communications

KJT

Featured Posts

On 08/11/2017 at 04:37, dccruiser said:

If you are looking for a top line setup and looking at Huwei this is what i use ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUAWEI-E5186-5G-LTE-A-CAT6-Router/263303318427?hash=item3d4e19cb9b:g:3NgAAOSwGUBaAISd

It will run up to 300mbps download and 50mbps upload  and is 5g ready, it is made to run up to 32 devices, i use mine with an omni directional mimo aerial on a mast with an EE data only sim and its nothing short of brilliant! I stream tv and catch up to my smart tv through it and it works like a dream ... it incorporates 4 ethernet sockets along with a voip and lte phone sockets as it was designed for off grid mobile offices, far cheaper than the stuff sold through boating specific outlets but every bit as good and future proof.

Rick

Edited to add ... this is the aerial i use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omni-Directional-4G-3G-LTE-MIMO-External-Antenna-Huawei-Booster-E5180-E5377-CRC9/282101515993?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49130%26meid%3Db694c361b1f54a57aca4a56bca0bbcee%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D281920898240&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

The reason for going omni directional is i always get as boosted signal whereas if you have a directional aerial you have to be pointing directly at the local antenna to get its maximum gain every degree you are out you lose a percentage and as boats tend to move unless you re on a mooring where you "land base" your aerial it is never going to be 100% whereas mine always is wherever i move.

With my EE 60g for 28 quid a month sim I am now getting 5g almost everywhere , just done the 4 counties, llangollen, weaver and cauldon no issues streaming at lightening speeds 

Rick

On 10/05/2019 at 08:28, ivan&alice said:

Fair enough.

I think probably your best bet for improving the signal is to get as tall a mast as possible. Unless there is some impact on attenuation of the signal over the longer length of cable?

Perhaps it would be worthwhile my giving Connex a call then and seeing if they recommend the same. Thanks for your help.

with my setup i dont need a massive mast ... it even works just laid on the roof and gives me a signal right to the cruiser stern when i am on the move even though the router is right at the front of the boat :) 

Rick

16 hours ago, dccruiser said:

With my EE 60g for 28 quid a month sim I am now getting 5g almost everywhere , just done the 4 counties, llangollen, weaver and cauldon no issues streaming at lightening speeds

I doubt you get 5G 'almost everywhere'

• Greenie 1

On 10/05/2019 at 08:28, ivan&alice said:

I think probably your best bet for improving the signal is to get as tall a mast as possible. Unless there is some impact on attenuation of the signal over the longer length of cable?

As I said in my earlier post, provided you have an external antenna of some kind congestion is likely to be the limiting factor these days. The OPs advice was good at the time but cell coverage is much better now.

16 hours ago, dccruiser said:

Rick

with my setup i dont need a massive mast ... it even works just laid on the roof and gives me a signal right to the cruiser stern when i am on the move even though the router is right at the front of the boat :) 

Rick

Only if you are boating in cities (quote from EE) “We’re kicking things off by launching 5G in the UK’s four capital cities – London, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast – as well as Birmingham and Manchester”

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

Only if you are boating in cities (quote from EE) “We’re kicking things off by launching 5G in the UK’s four capital cities – London, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast – as well as Birmingham and Manchester”

Plus EE has quite a limited bandwidth at present. When Three launches its service later this year it will have twice the spectrum of anyone else and will have coverage in 25 cities: 

London Bolton
Birmingham Bristol
Bradford Reading
Liverpool Rotherham
Glasgow Slough
Sheffield Edinburgh
Leeds Brighton
Manchester Coventry
Cardiff Derby
Hull Middlesbrough
Leicester Milton Keynes
Wolverhampton Sunderland
Nottingham

10 hours ago, arcsyst said:

I doubt you get 5G 'almost everywhere'

well then your wrong! I have no reason to lie

10 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I am not in or near any of the above listed cities and have been getting 5g internet for over 12 months 

8 hours ago, WotEver said:

Plus EE has quite a limited bandwidth at present. When Three launches its service later this year it will have twice the spectrum of anyone else and will have coverage in 25 cities: 

London Bolton
Birmingham Bristol
Bradford Reading
Liverpool Rotherham
Glasgow Slough
Sheffield Edinburgh
Leeds Brighton
Manchester Coventry
Cardiff Derby
Hull Middlesbrough
Leicester Milton Keynes
Wolverhampton Sunderland
Nottingham

Sorry but thats utter rubbish based on my experience of EE and several other people that have adopted my setup and are using the same EE sim .... 

You can read what you want but everything i have stated is from practical experience otherwise i would say it was crap and certainly not endorse it to anyone else but rather tell them to steer clear ... I  obviously wont do that because it is absolutely excellent and i couldnt be happier with it ...

Anyone who hasnt got it and doesnt use it with the level of equipment i do really cant validate a comment, anymore than they could write a long term road test on the practicalities, economy reliability performance or level of driver comfort of a car without actually driving and owning one, but instead  just reading up and looking at pictures.

Rick

28 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

Sorry but thats utter rubbish

Which bit? The fact (note that’s not an opinion, it’s fact) that Three has twice the spectrum of anyone else, or the fact (not opinion) that they’re planning on rolling out to 25 cities later this year?  They’re the only two statements that I made. 

• Greenie 1

On 29/07/2019 at 15:59, dccruiser said:

Im looking forward to getting 5G and my iPhone 6S is getting out of date. Which 5G phone did you buy, and how much was it? or did you get a 5G MiFi gizmo?

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Which bit? The fact (note that’s not an opinion, it’s fact) that Three has twice the spectrum of anyone else, or the fact (not opinion) that they’re planning on rolling out to 25 cities later this year?  They’re the only two statements that I made. 

9 hours ago, WotEver said:

London Bolton
Birmingham Bristol
Bradford Reading
Liverpool Rotherham
Glasgow Slough
Sheffield Edinburgh
Leeds Brighton
Manchester Coventry
Cardiff Derby
Hull Middlesbrough
Leicester Milton Keynes
Wolverhampton Sunderland
Nottingham

Plus ... suggesting you believe everything previously said to contradict me was true ... 

EE has limited bandwidth at the moment  ? .... no it doesnt but you would know this if you actually used it as i have for the last 12 months +

5 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Im looking forward to getting 5G and my iPhone 6S is getting out of date. Which 5G phone did you buy, and how much was it? or did you get a 5G MiFi gizmo?

I get my 5G internet through the router and aerial i recommended above .... Its a 300mbps 5g router with 4 ethernet ports and capable of running 32 devices ... in conjunction with the MIMO aerial in my earlier post. ... I hope you enjoy your 5G as much as i do 

Rick

16 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

EE has limited bandwidth at the moment  ? .... no it doesnt 

Yes it does. Less than half that of Three. That’s another fact. Look up how much spectrum they bought compared to how much Three bought. 

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yes it does. Less than half that of Three. That’s another fact. Look up how much spectrum they bought compared to how much Three bought. 

it can be a 10th of 3 , limited sugests in some way an inferior service which as a user it isnt... it has made not one jot of difference to the speed of my interrnet or my ability to get 5G in most places ... fact

Rick 

Edited by dccruiser

1 hour ago, dccruiser said:

I am not in or near any of the above listed cities and have been getting 5g internet for over 12 months 

You’d better tell EE that their interactive map is wrong then:

https://ee.co.uk/why-ee/mobile-coverage?CTTag=CT_Ser_LocationPage_LaunchCities_CoverageChecker_Q1_2019#nav-0

Just now, dccruiser said:

it can be a 10th of 3 , limited sugests in some way an inferior service which as a user it isnt... it has made not one jot of difference to the speed of my interrnet...

It will do once you get a load more folk on the service. Bandwidth is irrelevant with a single user on a mast but becomes far more relevant with 1000 people on the same mast. 

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Why on earth would I ? as a user of EE with the equipment above it works brilliantly, so rather than go and question that , I give the information out to people looking for a brilliant fast reliable internet setup based on actually using it for 12 months plus and having installed it on a number of boats and those people also being over the moon with it, I can and will heartily recommend it.

Oh and all the installations i have done have been for no financial reward whatsoever, so i have no reason to recommend it other than the fact I am so, so pleased with the setup and speeds i achieve.

Rick   

4 hours ago, dccruiser said:

I get my 5G internet through the router and aerial i recommended above .... Its a 300mbps 5g router with 4 ethernet ports and capable of running 32 devices ... in conjunction with the MIMO aerial in my earlier post. ... I hope you enjoy your 5G as much as i do 

Rick

Unfortunately the link to the router leads to a page that doesn’t exist any more.

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

Bandwidth is irrelevant with a single user on a mast but becomes far more relevant with 1000 people on the same mast. 

I'd take contention with those numbers!  1:1000 are numbers most subscribers can only dream about!

7 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Unfortunately the link to the router leads to a page that doesn’t exist any more.

I believe it might be this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUAWEI-E5186-22-5G-300Mbps-4G-LTE-Wireless-WiFi-Router/113664376884?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1a76ecc034:g:RrUAAOSw0lhccPfL

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'd take contention with those numbers!  1:1000 are numbers most subscribers can only dream about!

Mea Culpa. Blame it on a high latency between keyboard and brain. 

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Mmm! Says 5G in the headline, but only mentions 4G LTE Cat 6 in the details. It does say 5GHz in the detail so I wonder if that’s the 5G.

ive had a bit of a Google and everything says that 5G was only rolled out in the U.K. a few months ago, and only in a few big cities.

Think I’ll wait a while until the mud clears :) 

The reference to 5GHz I would have thought would be WiFi, in that it presumably supports that as well as 2.4GHz as most routers do.

I am confused by the claim being made hare that 5g has been used all over the country for the last 12 months, when I think it was only May this year that EE had the initial rollout to a handful of major cities. 

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

I am confused by the claim being made hare that 5g has been used all over the country for the last 12 months, when I think it was only May this year that EE had the initial rollout to a handful of major cities. 

Don’t be confused. Be confused dot co...

It’s not you who’s confused, it’s DC who’s confusing a good solid 4G connection with 5G. A simple screen grab of Speedtest.net showing well in excess of >100Mbps download would support his assertion but I note there’s been nowt to support his claims. 

EE are actually now offering a 5G modem (for £500 no less!) 

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/06/ee-uk-details-new-htc-5g-hub-mobile-broadband-wifi-router.html

Edited by WotEver
  • Greenie 1

For those that are interested, here’s a pretty comprehensive guide to 5G:

https://5g.co.uk/guides/what-is-5g/

That site’s observations about EE’s coverage are pertinent to this thread:

“A 5G service has already been launched in the UK by EE in six cities and Vodafone currently has launched in 15 towns and cities.

You’ll find all this in the chart below, however, note that broad availability of 5G whereby most consumers can access it is still likely several years away.

Initially, 5G coverage will likely be limited to the most highly populated areas in the cities listed above. Certainly that’s the case for most of EE’s 5G coverage.

31 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Don’t be confused. Be confused dot co...

It’s not you who’s confused, it’s DC who’s confusing a good solid 4G connection with 5G. A simple screen grab of Speedtest.net showing well in excess of >100Mbps download would support his assertion but I note there’s been nowt to support his claims. 

EE are actually now offering a 5G modem (for £500 no less!) 

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/06/ee-uk-details-new-htc-5g-hub-mobile-broadband-wifi-router.html

Been following the conversation with interest. Yes I agree. Is DC just getting the very good 4G service from EE you get all round the canal network ( in the 2 years we have been using it)? ....unlike the unlimited 3 offering which is great 80% of the time but suffers many black holes.

Ill switch to 5G contract....many of them should be unlimited as that's what 5G is all about.....once I can see a decent (not expensive ) router. Any suggestions?