Bubble Testers (Best Price)

Androo

Featured Posts

I was told by my Boat Examiner that, because I'm a liveaboard I need a Bubble Tester fitted for my Cert to be legal otherwise I would have to pay extra for a Corgi Reg Fitter (because he isn't), to test my gas supply.

Very unfair that this just applies to liveaboards.

Anyway I have been looking around and the cheapest I can find is £48.79 all inclusive of VAT & P & P.

Down to £45.56 now

Anyone know of a cheaper place?

Edited by Androo

Ver

I was told by my Boat Examiner that, because I'm a liveaboard I need a Bubble Tester fitted for my Cert to be legal otherwise I would have to pay extra for a Corgi Reg Fitter (because he isn't), to test my gas supply.

Very perplexing, seeing as CORGI have been defunct (except in Northern Ireland) for about five or six years now.

This thing is, the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 apply to residential boats but not leisure boats, and in order to protect residential boaters from the potential stupidity of people they might employ to carry out gas work, all gas workers must be Gas Safe Registered, just like in houses.

I agree it's very unfair that leisure boaters are allowed to employ any old unqualified Tom Dick or Harry to mess about with their gas installations.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

i ve got a BSS examination next week . i liveaboard so this sounds ominous .

Or maybe i don t liveaboard afterall . Am i obliged to tell them ? Will he go thru my laundry . 7 pairs of boxer shorts & 7 pairs of socks = evidence of a liveaboard ?

Last year after i bought my boat the surveyor shut off my gas . It took 3 months to get a boat registered gas engineer out as no one seemed interested in replying to emails & phone calls or simply failed to turn up to booked appointments .

i hope i don t fail on this bubble tester thing .

cheers

Edited by chubby

One of my neighbours mentioned this to me the other week. I've never heard of it and every BSS test I've had the examiner had there own. Really can't believe just because you liveaboard you have to buy and subsequently store one of these testers. Perhaps one of the examiners on here will put us right

One of my neighbours mentioned this to me the other week. I've never heard of it and every BSS test I've had the examiner had there own. Really can't believe just because you liveaboard you have to buy and subsequently store one of these testers. Perhaps one of the examiners on here will put us right

A bubble tester is permanently fitted to your system, the chap doing the testing does not bring one with him see the other thread on Bubble Testers that running at the moment.

The thinking goes like this:

1) Liveaboards fall under the scope of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use Regulations) 1998.

2) The Gas Safety (Installation and Use Regulations) 1998 (paraphrasing) say anyone working on a gas system falling within their scope, must be Gas Safe Registered.

3) 'Working' on a gas system is defined as the use of tools.

4) To carry out a gas soundness test on a gas system involves using tools to open a test point and connect a manometer, then using tools again to seal the test point and test the test point for leaks. Therefor a BSS bod examining a liveaboard is required by law to be Gas Safe Registered.

5) A neat way around this is for the owner to have a bubble tester fitted as the BSS bod can use it to test the soundness of the gas system without the use of tools, thus avoiding the need to be Gas Safe Registered.

So in the case of the OP, the BSS bod was being misleading. What he should have said is "I'm not qualified to carry out BSS examinations on liveaboards without a bubble tester so you'll need to find a Gas Safe Registered BSS bod, OR install a bubble tester."

But he didn't say this, he said the OP needed to get a bubble tester fitted or pay extra for a CORGI fitter to test the gas system, failing to point out the third option of the OP finding himself a different BSS inspector, one who IS Gas Safe Registered.

It could be argued that the OP has a case to request a refund from the BSS bod, as he must have realised he was unable to complete the inspection, right from the start.

Hope that helps.

MtB

i ve got a BSS examination next week . i liveaboard so this sounds ominous .

Or maybe i don t liveaboard afterall . Am i obliged to tell them ?

No you aren't, but if/when he asks you if your boat is your home, he is entitled to rely on your answer being truthful.

He is not a policeman, he is not required to verify that you have told the truth. If you lie, it becomes your problem should any consequences flow from it.

MtB

Is he obliged to ask ?

when push comes to shove i will be honest anyway . I prefer to be legit & i want my boat to be safe as poss , but some of this boat ownership stuff is pretty confusing .

i had a boat registered gas safe bod in last year to work on some pipes after the surveyor shut it off.

Why wouldn t he say " you re going to need a bubble tester mate - they ve changed the rules . "

He was on my boat for heavens sake & would ve got more money for doing the extra work .

It all seems a bit mickey mouse really & people are left guessing whats required & whats not .

The thinking goes like this:

1) Liveaboards fall under the scope of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use Regulations) 1998.

2) The Gas Safety (Installation and Use Regulations) 1998 (paraphrasing) say anyone working on a gas system falling within their scope, must be Gas Safe Registered.

3) 'Working' on a gas system is defined as the use of tools.

4) To carry out a gas soundness test on a gas system involves using tools to open a test point and connect a manometer, then using tools again to seal the test point and test the test point for leaks. Therefor a BSS bod examining a liveaboard is required by law to be Gas Safe Registered.

5) A neat way around this is for the owner to have a bubble tester fitted as the BSS bod can use it to test the soundness of the gas system without the use of tools, thus avoiding the need to be Gas Safe Registered.

So in the case of the OP, the BSS bod was being misleading. What he should have said is "I'm not qualified to carry out BSS examinations on liveaboards without a bubble tester so you'll need to find a Gas Safe Registered BSS bod, OR install a bubble tester."

But he didn't say this, he said the OP needed to get a bubble tester fitted or pay extra for a CORGI fitter to test the gas system, failing to point out the third option of the OP finding himself a different BSS inspector, one who IS Gas Safe Registered.

It could be argued that the OP has a case to request a refund from the BSS bod, as he must have realised he was unable to complete the inspection, right from the start.

Hope that helps.

MtB

Thanks MtB. I'm not the sharpest tool in the box sometimes. I was thinking of an entirely different thing. Thing I'll go for a walk....

liveaboards ARE NOT required to have bubble testers compulsarily.

That is absolute tosh, the guy should be reported to the BSS office

If a boat is live-aboard the BSS Bloke has to be certified for Gas installation and repair work before he/she can interfere with fittings including Test points.

When a Bubble Tester is installed the system can be checked for leaks visually.

CT

Can you work on your own gas system if you are a live-aboard? If so, could you undo the screw on the test point yourself and attach your inspector's manometer for him?

I see no reason why not, provided you are 'competent' (as defined in the provisions of the GSIUR).

If the inspector resists this suggestion, I think producing and connecting your own manometer and performing an appropriate let-by test followed by a soundness test demonstrating your system is in good order, should demolish all objections.

Bear in mind you'll need to use a water-filled manometer containing an approved dye or have a valid calibration certificate for a digital one.

MtB

(Edit to add second & third paragraphs.)

• Greenie 1

Is he obliged to ask ?

I don't think he's obliged to ask. Bear in mind you're not obliged to reply either! You could respond by asking if he is Gas Safe Registered, then you'll know which way the land lies.

i had a boat registered gas safe bod in last year to work on some pipes after the surveyor shut it off.

Why wouldn t he say " you re going to need a bubble tester mate - they ve changed the rules . "

He was on my boat for heavens sake & would ve got more money for doing the extra work .

I agree, its a mess. The GSR bod on your boat would not have been aware of the restrictions applied to BSS bods unless he was especially interested or well informed, like moi biggrin.png

MtB

(Edit to add a missing letter which changed the meaning of wot I rote.)

If a boat is live-aboard the BSS Bloke has to be certified for Gas installation and repair work before he/she can interfere with fittings including Test points.

When a Bubble Tester is installed the system can be checked for leaks visually.

CT

I understand that - however, the quoted statement alledgedly made by the OP's BSS Examiner was patently incorrect, (and MtB explained what he should have said, earlier).

It is worrying if a BSS examiner cannot get the facts right, (although I guess it's possible that the OP possibly misunderstood what the BSS chappie said/meant)

It is worrying if a BSS examiner cannot get the facts right, (although I guess it's possible that the OP possibly misunderstood what the BSS chappie said/meant)

Yes I wondered this too, especially if the OP's status as a liveaboard was not apparent to the BSS bod initially.

It is a distinct possibility the BSS bod explained it exactly as I did in post 8, and the OP simplified the stupidly long and involved train of reasoning into his OP statements.

MtB

I had my bss done last week and i have a bubble tester fitted.The examiner was pressing the test button for what seemed like forever. I asked him if the time span for testing had changed as the instructions said 10 seconds,he said it went up to 30 seconds and has gone up again to 60 seconds but the makers hadn't given a reason why they now say 60 seconds. he also said that the bss were looking into the use of bubble testers.

I had my bss done last week and i have a bubble tester fitted.The examiner was pressing the test button for what seemed like forever. I asked him if the time span for testing had changed as the instructions said 10 seconds,he said it went up to 30 seconds and has gone up again to 60 seconds but the makers hadn't given a reason why they now say 60 seconds. he also said that the bss were looking into the use of bubble testers.

I have explained this multiple times on here over the years. The manufacturer's instructions define a check which is far too short a time, that simply does not reveal a small leak, big enough to fail the boat using a conventional manometer to carry out the proper test defined in PD 5482 2005 part III.

The authorities finally seem to be getting a grip on this and altering the test period to create a more demanding, and equivalent test.

MtB

I have 1/2 inch pipe from the regulator to the distribution point in the boat, for oven, hob,& boiler.

I cannot find a Bubble tester for that size of pipe, only up to 10mm.

Am I stumped, or not looking hard enough?

Bod

As a complete dunce when it comes to such things ,& bearing in mind i live on my boat would people suggest a bubble tester is something i perhaps ought to have fitted even if i m not obliged to have one . Im still in the dark as to whether i must have one as a liveaboard or not . My examinations early next week so its too late now even if i do .

But , supposing im not asked if i liveaboard & supposing his other tests reveal no gas related issues etc then what sort of money am i looking at to get one of these things fitted roughly & how many hours to fit . I ll tamper with some things on my boat but im not touching the gas stuff .

cheers & sorry to jump in on anothers thread

Ver

Very perplexing, seeing as CORGI have been defunct (except in Northern Ireland) for about five or six years now.

MtB

OK, 1st mistake to me. He did say Gas Cert Reg and, not Corgi.

Now I will do my best to explain.

The examiner knows that I am a liveaboard because he has a boat in the same marina.

I had my cert carried out late last year. He used a manometer and all was well and gave me a pass.

The marina I am in is non- residential but, there are liveaboards. They, (the marina owners) turn a blind eye obviously, because they don't want the hassle of

creating residential

moorings and extra costs etc. To get around this people just provide a land address.

The marina has handed information of all boats in the marina to the local council as, they are going to attempt to start charging council tax to anyone that has a

boat that is classed as their main dwelling.

The examiner said to me that, (and he is presuming I will have to pay council tax by the way ) that, "as you are going to become liable for council tax you will either

have to fit a bubble tester or pay for a Gas Registered person to come and test my gas (AGAIN)". He also stated that this is to cover him as well as myself.

I didn't contest this as, I get on with him and I didn't want to cause

any friction etc...

What I do find unfair is that If I had my test done late last year why do I have to conform with what he says now?

Also, to be liable for council tax on a boat in a private marina mooring doesn't the marina need to be Residential??

You don't. Your BSS is valid till the date on the certificate. The examiner is covered because you weren't a liveaboard when he tested it so he was not then in contravention of the Regs explained by MtB. Next time, find a different examiner who isn't re-writing the rules to suit himself.

The rules on council tax are complicated. If you are residential talk to the RBOA. You can get a rebate every day you are not on the specific mooring which is liable for Council tax.

N

As a complete dunce when it comes to such things ,& bearing in mind i live on my boat would people suggest a bubble tester is something i perhaps ought to have fitted even if i m not obliged to have one . Im still in the dark as to whether i must have one as a liveaboard or not . My examinations early next week so its too late now even if i do .

But , supposing im not asked if i liveaboard & supposing his other tests reveal no gas related issues etc then what sort of money am i looking at to get one of these things fitted roughly & how many hours to fit . I ll tamper with some things on my boat but im not touching the gas stuff .

cheers & sorry to jump in on anothers thread

The cheapest I've seen the Alde Bubble testers for is at Amazon, (about £48 with free delivery)

I ve just had a mooch on ebay & just saw something that caught my eye . I may word this incorrectly ( apologies if so ) as i ve not heard of this thing before . It was called a Wade gas tester . It was a brass fitting that attached to gas pipes at either end . At the centre was a screw with a slot for a flathead screwdriver ( presumably ) .

I have one of these . The blurb described it as " used for testing gas systems on RV s , caravans & boats etc " .

So is this what the BSS chap will be looking for in order to test my gas supply ? I haven t the foggiest idea what its for & how it works but will this be sufficient ?

Sorry again for jumping in

cheers