Opinions on this boat please

Jimmiboy

Featured Posts

I am just relieved we were able to buy newish - our boat was 5 years old and £43k when we bought her, she's still a good deal younger than this one! She may not look like a posh apartment inside but the hull and engine (the important bits) are sound.

To give some perspective, we have had very little interest in our 3 year old 50ft tug priced at 55k which has a good shell, quality (if not to everyones taste) engine and hand built solid oak fit out.

I nearly spat my coffee out when I saw 48k for this. You can pick up a 4 year old ex-Black Prince for this length and money.

I am just relieved we were able to buy newish - our boat was 5 years old and £43k when we bought her, she's still a good deal younger than this one! She may not look like a posh apartment inside but the hull and engine (the important bits) are sound.

The thing is, many newbie's priorities are the complete reverse of this. Interior is everything. Hull and engine? Well it floats so it must be fine.

These are the people who are the victims of sellers marketing boats like the geriatric £48k Hancock and Lane. At least we have alerted the OP now!

MtB

This has to be a joke. It's close on double my price estimate. It will be on the market for a very long time for sure. Thirty years old with over plating! He's having a laugh. On top of that it is a bad size to sell cos it ain't a go anywhere boat at that length.

Edited by bigste

I think there are signs that the market is changing, in no small part thanks to the internet and forums such as this. Once upon a time the boat in question might have stood a chance of finding a naive buyer willing to pay somewhere near the asking and thinking they had got a bargain. But time and again you see dodgy/overpriced boats languishing on the advertising pages and brokers listings as the buying public become more and more savvy.

The boat in question is almost certainly priced to reflect what the owner paid for it plus what they have spent on it, and it's surprising, especially with private sales , how often this is how the price tag has been calculated. The fact that it has no meaning in the real world doesn't seem to occurred to these owners.

believe me, there are still pillocks naive buyers around chucking money at bad or wrong boats with litle or no advice.

Wow That's a bit harsh:) I'm thinking unless you were bourght up on the water or a duck everyone has to learn / start somewhere

That's why this forum is so popular, newbies can openly ask advice :)

Sue x

Wow That's a bit harsh:) I'm thinking unless you were bourght up on the water or a duck everyone has to learn / start somewhere

That's why this forum is so popular, newbies can openly ask advice :)

Sue x

Perhaps said persons are already on the forum..........

I think Matty means the type of newbie who pitch up on here already knowing it all and telling us all how we should be doing it.

:)

MtB

Oops thanks MTB I got the wrong end of the stick lol

Sorry matty :)

I think Matty means the type of newbie who pitch up on here already knowing it all and telling us all how we should be doing it.

MtB

MtB

Ooops thanks MTB I got the wrong end of the stick :)

Sorry matty :)

Edited by Alan&sue

Look at it the other way round.

If you had £45,000 it ought to buy you a 60 foot boat less than ten years old from a respected builder/fitter out in A1 condition.

That puts the above boat in perspective doesn't it.

It's worth maybe half what is being asked, unless there is something particularly special that we've missed.

Thanks for the info, that's what's do great about this site!

At the moment I'm going pretty much on layout I don't know a respected builder from a bad one. There are so many variables and it's not like you get a buyers price guide like when buying a car.

Edited by Jimmiboy

believe me, there are still pillocks naive buyers around chucking money at bad or wrong boats with litle or no advice.

Got that right, I'm one of them! When looking for a boat last year the main thing I was thinking of was living space, etc.

MtB

I actually meant people who have been on here a long time and still don't take the advice offered / recommended and still get ripped off/ conned...do what they want and regret afterwards.

MTB I am going to take you to task for your earlier post. I have an old boat an 85 year old boat, it was partly doubled and re-decked when 40 years old.then 15years ago I partly re-bottomed her, re-built the bow with 8mm,plate Doubled her on the waterline bringing the thickness up to 12mm built a new wheelhouse and partly re-decked. and re-engined her....a total of 7 tons of new steel I do not consider this as merely extending the life of a rusting heap nor as a bodge

John

MTB I am going to take you to task for your earlier post. I have an old boat an 85 year old boat, it was partly doubled and re-decked when 40 years old.then 15years ago I partly re-bottomed her, re-built the bow with 8mm,plate Doubled her on the waterline bringing the thickness up to 12mm built a new wheelhouse and partly re-decked. and re-engined her....a total of 7 tons of new steel I do not consider this as merely extending the life of a rusting heap nor as a bodge

John

I have a feeling Mike's boat is older than yours

Richard

The thing is, many newbie's priorities are the complete reverse of this. Interior is everything. Hull and engine? Well it floats so it must be fine.

These are the people who are the victims of sellers marketing boats like the geriatric £48k Hancock and Lane. At least we have alerted the OP now!

MtB

I thought that when we went to Crick. It was all generally very pretty (and oak-y - OH! THE OAK!!), but a number of questions I asked about hulls and 'mechanics' were treated surprisingly flippantly (but then, I am both a woman, and relatively young, so I probably wouldn't take me seriously either). Only one builder we spoke to actually told us in detail about the 'techincal' set up of the boat they were showing, and answered our questions properly.

Not what I'd expected at all.

Edited by Marjorie

I thought that when we went to Crick. It was all generally very pretty (and oak-y - OH! THE OAK!!), but a number of questions I asked about hulls and 'mechanics' were treated surprisingly flippantly (but then, I am both a woman, and relatively young, so I probably wouldn't take me seriously either). Only one builder we spoke to actually told us in detail about the 'techincal' set up of the boat they were showing, and answered our questions properly.

Not what I'd expected at all.

Well I'd take you seriously. Womens are just as capable of understanding technical issues as blokes in my experience as a boiler technician. Even the relatively young ones :)

It's very disappointing to hear that only one builder explained things properly to you. I despair of my sex sometimes.

MtB

Well I'd take you seriously. Womens are just as capable of understanding technical issues as blokes in my experience as a boiler technician. Even the relatively young ones smile.png

It's very disappointing to hear that only one builder explained things properly to you. I despair of my sex sometimes.

MtB

clapping.gif

I really enjoyed Crick (despite the hailstorm - which actually, in my view, made it more fun, although I might be on my own there), but it wasn't really what I'd expected.

I do struggle to understand how engines/ electrics/ plumbing works, I'm not going to lie (I'm a jeweller, my brain works better with things that are small, and slow, and quiet), but I expected the focus of the show to be on those things, not on aesthetics - or maybe it isn't and we didn't know the magic word or something... Still, like you've all said, buying a boat and not understanding how it works and where all the bits are sounds to me like a hiding to nothing. I certainly wouldn't have the confidence to live on the canals without some knowledge of my boat's anatomy. And no, I don't know the first thing about what's under the bonnet of my car (well, I know where to put the water and oil), but I don't live in my car.

A bit of an aside, but the low point of Crick for me was the hydraulic prop guys (there were two companies there I think, but we only spoke to one, by which time I'd lost the will to live and we left shortly after - apparently the other one was easier to talk to) - if you can't make me understand how your product works and why I should buy it, maybe just go home:

Me: "But why is it better?"

Him: "Because it's hydraulic."

Me: "Why is that better?"

Him: "Well, you don't need a gear box."

Me: "What's wrong with gear boxes?"

Him: "Nothing, if you prefer them, but hydraulic is better."

W. T. F.

clapping.gif

I really enjoyed Crick (despite the hailstorm - which actually, in my view, made it more fun, although I might be on my own there), but it wasn't really what I'd expected.

I do struggle to understand how engines/ electrics/ plumbing works, I'm not going to lie (I'm a jeweller, my brain works better with things that are small, and slow, and quiet), but I expected the focus of the show to be on those things, not on aesthetics - or maybe it isn't and we didn't know the magic word or something... Still, like you've all said, buying a boat and not understanding how it works and where all the bits are sounds to me like a hiding to nothing. I certainly wouldn't have the confidence to live on the canals without some knowledge of my boat's anatomy. And no, I don't know the first thing about what's under the bonnet of my car (well, I know where to put the water and oil), but I don't live in my car.

A bit of an aside, but the low point of Crick for me was the hydraulic prop guys (there were two companies there I think, but we only spoke to one, by which time I'd lost the will to live and we left shortly after - apparently the other one was easier to talk to) - if you can't make me understand how your product works and why I should buy it, maybe just go home:

Me: "But why is it better?"

Him: "Because it's hydraulic."

Me: "Why is that better?"

Him: "Well, you don't need a gear box."

Me: "What's wrong with gear boxes?"

Him: "Nothing, if you prefer them, but hydraulic is better."

W. T. F.

I think I can see the problem here. I've had identical types of conversation myself at shows myself.

You/we are talking to sales guys. They are sales guys because they don't understand technical stuff properly themselves. As soon as you ask a slightly technical question they simply don't know the answer but being both salesmen and blokes, are unable to form the words "I don't know" with their mouths and resort to waffling and bullshitting.

There is a saying in the world of sales "bullshit baffles brains" which most salesmen believe but is, as anyone with brains knows, bullshit. Bear this in mind when talking to sales bods on sales stands.

There is one exception, and that is when the bod on the sales stand is the boss of the company. Company bosses on trade stands will generally talk straight to you because they often truly understand their product and your questions will not be not making them feel inferior.

Rant over...

smile.png

MtB

P.S. what sort of jewellery do you make? I love the machines involved in silversmithing!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I think I can see the problem here. I've had identical types of conversation myself at shows myself.

You/we are talking to sales guys.

P.S. what sort of jewellery do you make? I love the machines involved in silversmithing!

Yes, that was exactly the problem, and most frustrating. Luckily, we met a lovely couple in the pub that night, who overheard my complaining about it, and he explained very competently all about hydraulic props and why you might want one. Of course, I remember none of what he said, except that I decided they probably aren't worth the money.

P.S. I make stuff like this (am I allowed to post my website?) http://www.holdoutyourhand.co.uk

Also, I made this yesterday (assuming the linky linky works) - not really my style, but it was fun to make (I'm doing a course in Hatton Garden with a guy who mostly makes his own tools, and makes us make things we all think will be simple and turn out to be brainachingly difficult... he's AMAZING, and slightly mental, and all the best people are).

8677780fb0992f65d1098b8c447d6a8c.jpg

Edited by Marjorie