Opinions on this boat please

Jimmiboy

Featured Posts

It's a mooring knot

Richard

and very beautiful - put your website link into your signature

I can do it with silver, but my brain still melts when I try to do it with rope (although I just found the thread with the link to the animated knots website, which has replaced my last favourite thing - hand crank washing machine - as my new favourite thing).

Thanks, and dood idea re. signature :)

I hate that animated knots site. It shows you how to arrange a bit of string into a knot, it doesn't show you how to tie one. For instance, which bit do you hold in which hand while tying it? And which bit is under load - like having a boat on the end of it

Richard

MORE: your link doesn't work in your sig

Edited by RLWP

Yes, that was exactly the problem, and most frustrating. Luckily, we met a lovely couple in the pub that night, who overheard my complaining about it, and he explained very competently all about hydraulic props and why you might want one. Of course, I remember none of what he said, except that I decided they probably aren't worth the money.

P.S. I make stuff like this (am I allowed to post my website?) http://www.holdoutyourhand.co.uk

Also, I made this yesterday (assuming the linky linky works) - not really my style, but it was fun to make (I'm doing a course in Hatton Garden with a guy who mostly makes his own tools, and makes us make things we all think will be simple and turn out to be brainachingly difficult... he's AMAZING, and slightly mental, and all the best people are).

8677780fb0992f65d1098b8c447d6a8c.jpg

Wow that's lovely. EXACTLY the sort of stuff I wanted to make when I did my silversmithing course at the local college. But I didn't get much further than bashing bits of sheet copper and brass about :)

MtB

P.S. You made the right decision about the hydraulic props BTW...

P.P.S. I have the same trouble as Richard with the animated knots sites. Useless when you are standing there in the rain trying to remember how to tie a sheepshank, or a bowline on a bike, or somethink.

I hate that animated knots site. It shows you how to arrange a bit of string into a knot, it doesn't show you how to tie one. For instance, which bit do you hold in which hand while tying it? And which bit is under load - like having a boat on the end of it

Richard

MORE: your link doesn't work in your sig

Oh. That's a good point.

The last time I tied a knot myself, it was blowing a howling gale, the tide was in, I had flu, and my spring line went weird. In hindsight, I should have just left it until one or more of those 3 things was no longer an issue, but instead I attempted to hold the weight of the boat back by pushing against a bow-end pylon whilst simultaneously trying to tie the knot I'd just looked up on the internet. Don't try that, it doesn't work (particularly not when your boat is a lighter, which are not so called because they are light).

Perhaps I'll just be sure to moor up near to one of you so you can do it for me. Much more practical.

(link fixed I think?)

Edited by Marjorie

Wow that's lovely. EXACTLY the sort of stuff I wanted to make when I did my silversmithing course at the local college. But I didn't get much further than bashing bits of sheet copper and brass about smile.png

Hitting things is definitely the best bit. That, and fire.

I'm thinking about how I might set a bench up on a narrowboat (trouble is: chemicals). I think it'd be kinda cool, but it does get messy. Perhaps I just need to keep a bench somewhere on land and be willing to travel to it...

P.P.P.S. Hey your website link works for me. But your Etsy shop says you are shut until May 17th...

OH YEAH! Well spotted smile.png

Edited by Marjorie

Hitting things is definitely the best bit. That, and fire.

I'm thinking about how I might set a bench up on a narrowboat (trouble is: chemicals). I think it's be kinda cool, but it does get messy. Perhaps I just need to keep a bench somewhere on land and be willing to travel to it...

OH YEAH! Well spotted smile.png

The kiln might be a bit of a problem. Power supply and all that, although I have used a makeshift propane gas-fired kiln for raku glazing pottery. Wonderful magical process when done at night!

Must go N mend some boilers now...

MtB

The kiln might be a bit of a problem. Power supply and all that, although I have used a makeshift propane gas-fired kiln for raku glazing pottery. Wonderful magical process when done at night!

Must go N mend some boilers now...

MtB

I'll swap you a handful of silversmithing lessons for a couple of afternoons of raku :)

This is the best book I have found for tying knots under real conditions: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handling-Ropes-Lines-Afloat-Snyder/dp/0713659904

Richard

I just bought it, for a single English penny! (let's just gloss over the £2.80 shipping)

I thought that when we went to Crick. It was all generally very pretty (and oak-y - OH! THE OAK!!), but a number of questions I asked about hulls and 'mechanics' were treated surprisingly flippantly (but then, I am both a woman, and relatively young, so I probably wouldn't take me seriously either). Only one builder we spoke to actually told us in detail about the 'techincal' set up of the boat they were showing, and answered our questions properly.

Not what I'd expected at all.

I found that also. They were happy to explain how the shelves in the cupboard came out, whoopee! But if you asked them the size of the engine or fuel tank they looked at you with that "stop showing off " expression. A bit patronising.

I found that also. They were happy to explain how the shelves in the cupboard came out, whoopee! But if you asked them the size of the engine or fuel tank they looked at you with that "stop showing off " expression. A bit patronising.

Methinks akin to the prospective owner asking a Royce dealer - "how much power does it have"

Answer: "Sufficient, Sir"

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=332627

I like this boat but it appears that the bed is at the back, seems strange that you would come in from the rain straight into your bedroom. But should I not be too worried about layout as it's changeable?

Many Black Prince boats are that style:

DUCHESS-2.png

Most boats have the bedroom at the back, its the standard layout. Not sure why Black Prince have been singled out for having it? Also while mentioning black prince, they tend to be cruiser stern and have unusually small kitchen, the idea being that its designed for holiday use, eg snacks and light/easy to cook meals etc which you might have while on holiday, not a massive sunday lunch etc.

I'd recommend matching the layout of the boat you buy to your requirements as closely as possible, since buying a different layout and changing it a lot will just cost £££ and you'd need to match the finish/colour/trim of woodwork, which can be awkward.