A week on the BCN, where to go?

Kendal

Featured Posts

I have booked a couple of weeks off work for the end of June and have always wanted to see more of the BCN. To give us plenty of time to get from and back to Alvecote we should have around 7 or 8 days to wander around. I have seen the 'to Brum or not' thread and I know some of you have just done the BCN challenge, so I would appreciate any pointers where to go or a suggested route from say Salford Junction or Gas Street basin and back.

We will be stopping off at the odd pub or two to reacquaint ourselves with the wonderful black country beers, so the Bull and Bladder at Brierley Hill, the Wharf at Cradely Heath, the Little Dry Dock at Windmill End, the Park Inn at Woosetton, the Lamp Tavern in Dudley and of course the Old Swan at Netherton would be high on the list (even if we have to walk or get a taxi as they are not all on the cut). These pubs are just some I remember from the old days, when I used to work in the area, so they may not all still be trading.

My wife would also like to visit the Black Country Museum, and seeing as they have a pub in there I said we could go smile.png

We've done Gas St and the NIA before but only had a short time so couldn't do any exploring.

Would love to hear your thoughts to help us get some kind of a plan, which will no doubt be subject to considerable adjustment depending on whether we get stuck in a pub for a day or two or not.

If Wolverhampton is on your route it would be a sin to miss the Great Western (which is a cracking pub in spite of it's name!)

In Brum center I'd recommend the Wellington, Bennetts Hill, B2 5SN, the Post Office Vaults, top of New St, look for a door next to Greggs, B2 4BA, or the Craven Arms, Upper Gough St, B1 1JL, behind the Mailbox/Cube.

If you're brave enough to venture down to Hawne Basin the Waggon & Horses in Halesowen, Stourbridge Rd, B63 3TU is well worth a visit. The GBG lists the Hawne Tavern, Attwood St, B63 3UG but I haven't been there myself (yet).

It also lists the Coombes Wood sports & Social Club, Stewarts Rd, B62 8NA and the Somers Sports & Social Club, Grange Hill, B62 0JH and says CAMRA members are welcome at both. Haven't been to these two either but they look good.

Enjoy (as they say in certain parts)

cheers.gif

If Wolverhampton is on your route it would be a sin to miss the Great Western (which is a cracking pub in spite of it's name!)

Enjoy (as they say in certain parts)

I'm very familiar with the Great Western (a bostin pub) as I used to live in W'ton, and it would be good to sample the ales again but we may not have enough time to include it. Thanks for all the other tips, we shall do our best to include them in our roundscheers.gif

I enjoyed reading that thread a few months ago and had forgotten about it, thanks for the reminder Catrin. Will re-read it again before we head off.

You can do a 'great circle' route from Salford Bridge to Gas Street via the Tame Valley Canal, Rushall Canal, Daw End Branch, Wyrley and Essington then back along the New or Old Main Line to Gas Street. Depending on timings there a various out and back side excursions you can add - Anglesey Branch to Chasewater, Cannock Extension Canal, the short run from Horseley Fields to Wolverhampton to visit the Great Western, the Wednesbury Oak Loop to Bradley, the Titford Canal and the loops into Birmingham. A longer side diversion would take you through Netherton Tunnel to the Dudley Canal.

Or for a longer loop, from Wolverhampton head down the 21, south along the Staffs and Worcs to Stourton then up the Stourbridge and Dudley Canals and through Netherton Tunnel to the main line.

Both of these loop options are much greener than you might expect from the Black Country, and avoid the rather grim Walsall Canal.

The Little Dry Dock at Windmill End is indeed closed.....

But what has happened to the boat in the bar?

We had a week on the BCN in March.

The thread for our trip is here:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=64374&hl=

Another massive vote for Ma Pardoes here. It is just a 10 minute walk from the canal. We didn't eat there but wished we had as others told us how good the food was. We did take away some of their Scotch eggs though - wow!

The Manor Arms at Daw End - it has pumps on the wall rather than behind the bar.

At Brownhills the faggots from the butchers shop opposite Aldi are scrumptious too.

Anglesey Basin is a must and The Cannock Extension arm was delightfully peaceful too.

I loved doing the BCN

Being tea total I can't comment on the pubs, but going "round the top", ie from Salford Jn, up Perry Bar, onto the Rushall / Daw End (now quite fast post-dredging), up to Anglesey Basin and (less interesting but quite pleasant) the Cannock Extension, round the Curley Wyreley to Horseley Fields, then back via Bradeley workshops, old main line (faster than the new main line in some places, and much more interesting) - detour to the BCLM if required - then up to Titford Pools before finally arriving in the centre via the Soho, Ickneild Port and Oozels St. loops, would be my recommended route. In fact pretty much anywhere except the Walsall, which is the dump of dumps.

Nightstops that are totally safe and relaxing: Star City, Anglesey Basin, Pelsall, Tipton, BCLM, Ocker Hill (not on my route) and of course Brum centre. There are lots of other possible night stops that are probably safe but maybe not totally relaxing.

I like Walsall

:)

Walsall town basin is fine, the rest of it you can keep - please feel free to have my usage quota! I think it would fulfil the ideas of someone who thinks the BCN off the mainline is a grim and scary place, whereas much of the rest of the off-main-line BCN is in fact not so.

I would like to think Windmill End is also a totally safe and relaxing overnight mooring? It certainly felt like it when we went!

I also loved Walsall. The basin is a great place to moor. Check if the bar there has a student night as it can be rowdy on those nights I am told but otherwise it is a great place to stop. We loved the art gallery and the leather museum in Walsall. too

Yes

I would like to think Windmill End is also a totally safe and relaxing overnight mooring? It certainly felt like it when we went!

I also loved Walsall. The basin is a great place to moor. Check if the bar there has a student night as it can be rowdy on those nights I am told but otherwise it is a great place to stop. We loved the art gallery and the leather museum in Walsall. too

Yes windmill end certainly, it wasn't on my proposed route so I didn't mention it. As for Walsall, the more boats that use it the better, of course. I was just being honest since I have no desire to hurry back there. A large flag does of course proclaim Walsall's premiere gay venue half way up the locks (hands up who noticed it?) so with that and the leather museum, maybe we should re-visit? OK maybe it's not THAT type of leather museum?

Good pubs, takeaway's, shops excellent, plus the Mayor coming out to greet you to encourage more boats.

:)

10307237_887110411304103_674758989987714

My recent mooring at Windmill

Good pubs, takeaway's, shops excellent, plus the Mayor coming out to greet you to encourage more boats.

smile.png

22 boats booked so far for Social and volunteer weekend on 21 and 22 June

I have to say I have really gone of the Walsall, compared to the rest of the BCN it seemed much harder work this year. But as BCN Challenge planners will be aware you can not plan that into a circular route including the W&E starting at Salford Junction so Nick's proposed route works well.

Thanks to all for your posts and advice. I like the sound of nicknormans route, but would really like to include the Dudley Canals and Netherton tunnel, so to fit it all in we may have to leave out the big northern loop and retrace our steps somewhat. I think the plan might be:

• up to Gas St from the Birmingham and Fazeley
  • along the new main line, through Netherton tunnel to the Dudley canals
  • back track to the new main line and on to Horseley Fields (can't miss the Great Western)
  • u turn and back down to the old main line and then on to Farmers Bridge via Titford Pools (may have to be left out if time is short), the Soho, Ickneild Port and Oozels loops
  • then the Digbeth branch, turning left at Bordesley Junc
  • on to Salford Junc and up the B'ham and Fazeley towards home

Anyone got any thoughts on this as a route, positive or negative?

We are really looking forward to it and I'm sure whichever bits of the BCN we end up doing we'll have a great time

Thanks again for the tips

Edited by Kendal

Ok how about Salford Jn, round the top via Perry Bar, Catshill Jn etc with the detours to Anglesey basin and CTS, continuing to Horseley Fields, then back towards the centre turning right at Dudley Port to take in the Dudley canals (definitely worth a trip down the #2 to Hawne basin) back through Netherton, right at Dudley port, right again at Albion, up Brades Hall, left onto the old main line, right up to Titford and back, continuing on the old line to Smethwick (much more pleasant than the new main line despite being under the M5 for a while), loops as required, down Farmers Bridge and then either Aston or Ashtead back to Salford Jn.

We did Salford, round the top including Anglesey but not Cannock ext, to Tipton in 15.5 hrs and that is with 2'8" draft so we are not fast on the shallower bits. Presuming that to be 2 days of "normal" cruising, another couple of days for the remainder (Dudley canals + Titford) that leaves 4 days for positioning to Salford and back from the centre - easy!

Ok how about Salford Jn, round the top via Perry Bar, Catshill Jn etc with the detours to Anglesey basin and CTS, continuing to Horseley Fields, then back towards the centre turning right at Dudley Port to take in the Dudley canals (definitely worth a trip down the #2 to Hawne basin) back through Netherton, right at Dudley port, right again at Albion, up Brades Hall, left onto the old main line, right up to Titford and back, continuing on the old line to Smethwick (much more pleasant than the new main line despite being under the M5 for a while), loops as required, down Farmers Bridge and then either Aston or Ashtead back to Salford Jn.

We did Salford, round the top including Anglesey but not Cannock ext, to Tipton in 15.5 hrs and that is with 2'8" draft so we are not fast on the shallower bits. Presuming that to be 2 days of "normal" cruising, another couple of days for the remainder (Dudley canals + Titford) that leaves 4 days for positioning to Salford and back from the centre - easy!

This is the route I would suggest too

Richard

Thanks nickorman, I like the sound of that. I think we have a plan! Any particular pubs on that route I should really not miss? cheers.gif

Edit: Just noticed your earlier post about being teetotal, soz. Open for others to comment on pubs please, suggestions most welcome (the Great Western being a given)

Edited by Kendal