Starts At: Lock 14, Adkins Lock
Ends At: Lock 14, Adkins Lock
Up Stream Winding Hole: Old Engine House Arm
Down Stream Winding Hole: North of Bridge 113

Monday 2 June 2014 17:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Structure failure

Original message:

Lock 14 will be closed with immediate effect due to a failure with the heel post of the gate.

Staff will be on site to investigate as soon as possible and plan a repair.

Further updates will follow shortly.

Fortunately I came up the flight on Sunday, with a bit of chaos at the bottom due to the problems at lock 10 and someone emptying the pound on Saturday night by leaving a paddle open. And now another one!

Oxford Canal
Starts At: Lock 22, Elkingtons Lock
Ends At: Lock 22, Elkingtons Lock
Up Stream Winding Hole: After Bridge 147
Down Stream Winding Hole: After Bridge 153 (Cropredy Wharf Bridge)

Wednesday 11 June 2014 08:00 until Thursday 12 June 2014 17:00

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Maintenance

Original message:

Elkington's Lock on the Oxford Canal will be closed from 8.00am Wednesday 11th June until 5.00pm Thursday 12th June.

This is to deal with the gate which has a large water leak.

Further update, just received.

Update on 05/06/2014:

We have now repaired the gate and Lock 14 is now open for normal usage.

We will be replacing the Lock gates during a planned winter stoppage.

This is a repeat message due to some technical problems with some people not receiving the update..

Three times this year I have had to ring CRT about closures to be told - 'oh no its all clear now.' Normally followed by ' Oh I suppose I'd better amend the internet.'

We went through Elkington's twice at the weekend and it's in good working order. Now perhaps CART can turn their attention to locks further down towards Banbury, some of whose paddle gear would test Charles Atlas' powers, and one of whose gates (Little Boughton Top) is almost impossible to open unless you leave both paddles up.

Oh, and the towpath replacement by Old Mill Bridge in Cropredy, laudable and long-awaited, appears to have ground to a halt. I do hope they get it done (and the obstructions removed) before the festival.

Edited by Athy

We went through Elkington's twice at the weekend and it's in good working order. Now perhaps CART can turn their attention to locks further down towards Banbury, some of whose paddle gear would test Charles Atlas' powers, and one of whose gates (Little Boughton Top) is almost impossible to open unless you leave both paddles up.

Oh, and the towpath replacement by Old Mill Bridge in Cropredy, laudable and long-awaited, appears to have ground to a halt. I do hope they get it done (and the obstructions removed) before the festival.

I always thought you should leave any Oxford top paddle up until the gate is opening. Certainly since we started hiring in the 80's. Have they ever been better??

Came past the camshedding (?) below Cropredy this afternoon and it looked a right mess. No smooth curves there at all. ?? Trainees, ?? subbies...

I always thought you should leave any Oxford top paddle up until the gate is opening. Certainly since we started hiring in the 80's. Have they ever been better??

I've always thought you should leave ALL paddles open until the gate is moving, on any canal. Also on GU you should leave the top gate paddle open while you are closing the gate, it helps stop the other gate swinging open too.

That is because the same gang were fixing Elkington. We met them Friday morning bringing the boats back

Now perhaps CART can turn their attention to locks further down towards Banbury, some of whose paddle gear would test Charles Atlas' powers, and one of whose gates (Little Boughton Top) is almost impossible to open unless you leave both paddles up.

Some Rodney left the top gate open late on Wednesday when he came up and the pound was well down by morning.

That is because the same gang were fixing Elkington. We met them Friday morning bringing the boats back

Some Rodney left the top gate open late on Wednesday when he came up and the pound was well down by morning.

The towpath telegraph tells me there is a persistent problem now with one specific boater who keeps opening the bottom gate and top paddles at Elkington to draw down water to 'his' pound since the opening of the marina. (Not sure why the marina is relevant, but I'm assured it is.)

CCTV has now been installed at Elkingtons to gather evidence, apparently!

MtB

The towpath telegraph tells me there is a persistent problem now with one specific boater who keeps opening the bottom gate and top paddles at Elkington to draw down water to 'his' pound since the opening of the marina. (Not sure why the marina is relevant, but I'm assured it is.)

CCTV has now been installed at Elkingtons to gather evidence, apparently!

MtB

Interesting - we went through Elkington the day before they shut it and I asked why they were working on it as it looked in far better condition than many others. The reply was that it leaked too much and kept draining the higher pound - has CRT done a load of work and caused a 2 day stoppage because of some git??

Interesting - we went through Elkington the day before they shut it and I asked why they were working on it as it looked in far better condition than many others. The reply was that it leaked too much and kept draining the higher pound - has CRT done a load of work and caused a 2 day stoppage because of some git??

I'm told by the Towpath Telegraph this guy is in the habit of allowing the lower gate to slam shut when he has brought down enough water, instead of walking up and shutting the top paddles. This has damaged the sill.

I don't know if this is true, but it's what I've been told by someone very protective of the canal system and seems very angry about the whole affair. They may be exaggerating.

MtB