Boat trashed by thieving b*****ds

magictime

Featured Posts

i think us boaters should stick together and start a vigilante group and show this scum what will happen to them should they get caught in the act, maybe had down the weed hatch while the prop is running.

hope the scum get caught

Great idea......

I'm in the south west currently........i could drive to any location of choice, but it might take a couple of days to get there.....it might take a couple of weeks by boat.......hang on to them whilst I get there.......

I thought one of the problems is that the yoofs may already be stoned?

Being as I'm from Holland, I must say that being stoned, makes you more like to laugh at silly jokes, and less likely to go out and wreck, or indeed do anything at all.

Glue sniffing I have no experience off however..

Most of the people I have spoken to have most definitely advocated either being on the boat or 'appearing to be on the boat' with lights. After being broken into, I have just got a load of solar lights that light up on the interior and exterior of the boat, whether I am in or not. But then, the problem seems to be during the middle of the day in broad daylight. I am not sure what the answer to this is, maybe an alarm? or better window security? shutters?. It is a real problem.

Most of the people I have spoken to have most definitely advocated either being on the boat or 'appearing to be on the boat' with lights. After being broken into, I have just got a load of solar lights that light up on the interior and exterior of the boat, whether I am in or not. But then, the problem seems to be during the middle of the day in broad daylight. I am not sure what the answer to this is, maybe an alarm? or better window security? shutters?. It is a real problem.

Three years on the canal, with a working boat, with coal, logs, gas, diesel etc in an open hold. The odd bag may have gone, but no break inns, and no wholesale thieving either. And I left my boat regularly for several days along the tow path.

Mind you, I think it was known that I would get even with anybody who would have..

Far from ideal. We have been contacted my BW when out boat become adrift once, so maybe you where just unlucky. I dont know.

Did a night at the top of wigan a month ago, and someone mentioned there had been a some petty vandalism and a nicked mountain bike, hope that wasnt you, but suggests it wasnt an isolated incident.

I presume there work boat was also still taking up 68% of the water point at the time, with a pair of signs from disgruntled boaters on it....?

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update: our insurance company have just agreed to pay out - just over £2,000 for new windows and c. £800 to replace stolen and damaged items. (No reason they shouldn't have paid, but it's still a weight off my mind.) So at least we won't be left out of pocket by more than our £100 excess. We didn't make it to the Middlewich festival, but that's no big deal. Just hoping the boat is ready in time for the summer holidays and our planned trip to Cropredy.

Thanks again for all the moral support!

Just a quick update: our insurance company have just agreed to pay out - just over £2,000 for new windows and c. £800 to replace stolen and damaged items. (No reason they shouldn't have paid, but it's still a weight off my mind.) So at least we won't be left out of pocket by more than our £100 excess. We didn't make it to the Middlewich festival, but that's no big deal. Just hoping the boat is ready in time for the summer holidays and our planned trip to Cropredy.

Thanks again for all the moral support!

A good outcome from a very unpleasant experience. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Trouble is every 5 boaters will have a different experience at different times. It only takes the odd one or two trouble makers to spoil it. Then the more boaters don't use an area, the more it becomes a no go area. I spoke to a couple of the guys working at one of the locks today, one is from the area. He seem to think it is mainly kids who get bored in summer holidays who are the main concern.

Which means things could get worse before they get better. The holidays a a while away yet. Mid July isn't it for Wigan?

Good news. Which insurance company do you use.

We're with GJW. Can't fault them really (apart from some inconsistency over whether they needed one estimate for repairs or two, which was easily cleared up with a phone call). The claim form arrived very quickly, and once they had the quote for repairs they were very quick to request photos of the damage and then to make a decision (all done via email). No quibbles over anything, even the cost of replacing the sixth, unbroken window in order to avoid being left with an odd one out. (Direct like-for-like replacements are not available from the manufacturer.)

It's the government's fault because the kids have got nothing to do and they didn't build a youth centre...

No it's not it because the scroats have not been educated properly by their probably inadequate parents.

• Greenie 1