Protesters to block GU link

bigcol

Featured Posts

I quite like that they will be marching to the CRT offices at 4pm on a Saturday. ( Arn't they 9 to 5 mon to Friday )

Maybe it's deliberate, so that when they get there and it's shut they can moan to the press that CRT aren't listening to them?

Note another appropriate ad underneath the article "Soapbox Season is Back".

There's a link at the bottom to "GALLERY: Man eats nine full English breakfasts in one morning in Milton Keynes". Is that a boater who has already done a few flights of locks before breakfast time (not that there are many locks in MK)?

A call has been sent to all boats around the country, who cannot make it to Milton Keynes, to block their local canals in support of the action in Milton Keynes against the Canal and River Trust’s attempts to rid the canal system of live-aboard boats who they deem as the ‘scum’ of the canal.

No need to get to MK apparently you can do your own blockade to show support for these jokers.

I am going to need a few more boats though.....

Fairy Snuff - thats why I said alledgedly as I wasnt convinced (it was sent to me by a Swedish customer).

However as the protesters will not be used to moving they may well end up at Swindon.

I'm glad I'm a long way from Milton Keynes.

Finding the canal blocked by "protesters" seeking to establish their "rights" at the expense of my right of navigation would certainly lead to a breach of the peace....

No need to get to MK apparently you can do your own blockade to show support for these jokers.

We are currently three abreast in Basin #2 at Hockley Port. I reckon one more boat should do the trick, and then Redshank and Free Spirit will be trapped. That'll show CRT!

I am not absolutely confident about this, but I think it is incorporated somewhere in the 1995 Waterways Act.

Spot on David, thank you:

18Obstruction by vessels

(1)No person shall moor or otherwise leave a vessel on an inland waterway so as to cause obstruction or hindrance to navigation or to the free passage of persons or vehicles over and along the towing path beside the inland waterway.
(2)Any person who without reasonable excuse contravenes subsection (1) above in such a way as to cause, or give rise to the risk of, injury to any person or damage to property shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.
(3)Any vessel moored or allowed to remoor in contravention of subsection (1) above shall be deemed to be a relevant craft for the purpose of section 8 (Removal of vessels) of the Act of 1983 or, in Scotland, a vessel for the purposes of section 19 (As to vessels sunk, stranded or abandoned) of the [1958 c. xliv.] British Transport Commission Act 1958.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukla/1995/1/contents/enacted

There are various links to bits of legislation here: http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/publication-scheme/publication-scheme/who-we-are-and-what-we-do

Richard

There is also a bit in the licence conditions about not causing a nuisance to others 7.5 I think

I wonder how many hire boaters will have the beginning or end of their hard earned week aboard spoilt by this 'blockade'. Not being familiar with the location I don't know.

There is also a bit in the licence conditions about not causing a nuisance to others 7.5 I think

I wonder how many hire boaters will have the beginning or end of their hard earned week aboard spoilt by this 'blockade'. Not being familiar with the location I don't know.

Just tell the blockaders that Canal Time are coming. They'll soon scatter and run for cover.

We are currently three abreast in Basin #2 at Hockley Port. I reckon one more boat should do the trick, and then Redshank and Free Spirit will be trapped. That'll show CRT!

Be careful!

You have previous!

I can well remember a likkle bit of a blockade in Birmingham a couple of years ago that you and I and other forum members might or might not have been part of :)

If this one is as much fun as that one was then we all ought to get involved ;)

How much is a level 3 fine? I haven't found that on line yet. Level 5 seems to be £1000

Richard

I Think it is more than that see:- http://www.cans.org.uk/notes/administration-of-justice/treatment-of-offenders/52-maximum-fines-the-a-standard-scalea

Lulz, S8 all of them. Where is that ice breaker boat with the nasty looking bow when you need it.

Edit. Ah this 1

nb-tycho-icebreaker.jpg

Never mind Tycho, any empty big Woolwich will do. That bow is enough to put the fear of (deity of your choice) into anyone except another empty big Woolwich.

N