Crick Boat Show award winners 2014

Northernboater

Featured Posts

Hi everybody,

Sorry I haven't introduced myself properly but thought I must comment re Celtic pride.

I also saw this boat and met and spoke to Richard Evans the builder.

I have experience of boat construction having fitted out a narrow boat previously and am a joiner by profession.

In my opinion this was probably the best constructed boat that I have ever seen.

The painstaking attention to detail as expressed by Phil sums it up-it is a tour de force.

I know that Richard spent many hours on it and it shows.

Whether you like the style is neither here nor there the quality stands out.

As to the guy who found Richard odd I can only say that I spent some considerable time talking with him and found him a delight.

I must say I have no connection to him at all-i just appreciate quality.

Sorry for barging in I will introduce myself in the appropriate way in due course..

The problem is we were voting for the boat we liked the most so the style counts we are not voting for the best built boat and on the day Richard was rude both to me and some other people. At that point my vote went elsewhere and so did the the other peoples. Now I have never said it wasnt a good boat and you are probably correct that the joinery was superb to my untrained eye most of the boats were very good so at the end it was the Brigatine that I voted for, why because it looked like a boat, was full of lovely curves and to me looked just right. Given that both shells were built by Tyler Wilson the shells are going to be good in fact a few of the boats on show were Tyler Wilson shells

Peter

Peter

I agree the brigantine looks good-i'm building a wide beam myself and I like the lines.

I'm surprised that anybody would be rude at a show where they are selling them self as well as they're product.

I suppose it takes all sorts still great joinery though..

The problem is we were voting for the boat we liked the most so the style counts we are not voting for the best built boat and on the day Richard was rude both to me and some other people. At that point my vote went elsewhere and so did the the other peoples. Now I have never said it wasnt a good boat and you are probably correct that the joinery was superb to my untrained eye most of the boats were very good so at the end it was the Brigatine that I voted for, why because it looked like a boat, was full of lovely curves and to me looked just right. Given that both shells were built by Tyler Wilson the shells are going to be good in fact a few of the boats on show were Tyler Wilson shells

Peter

I`m happy to admit that although Richard has become a good friend ( initially through respect for each others work ) he can be somewhat err.... irascible/temperamental whatever. It`s down to the passion he pours into the things he does - and I did tell him to keep smiling at the show come what may ! He is a great bloke in actual fact and a very fine musician - it just doesn`t show sometimes ! To the point - I did not mean to say that you , or anyone else SHOULD have voted for Celtic Pride , the boat you chose was most excellent. I was merely expressing my surprise that more people didn`t vote for Richard`s boat. My assessment of it was an entirely professional one, not an enthusiast`one and I aren`t in any way qualified to judge what customers for modern pleasure boats look at when choosing a favourite. Give me a Big Woolwich anyday !

I`m happy to admit that although Richard has become a good friend ( initially through respect for each others work ) he can be somewhat err.... irascible/temperamental whatever. It`s down to the passion he pours into the things he does - and I did tell him to keep smiling at the show come what may ! He is a great bloke in actual fact and a very fine musician - it just doesn`t show sometimes ! To the point - I did not mean to say that you , or anyone else SHOULD have voted for Celtic Pride , the boat you chose was most excellent. I was merely expressing my surprise that more people didn`t vote for Richard`s boat. My assessment of it was an entirely professional one, not an enthusiast`one and I aren`t in any way qualified to judge what customers for modern pleasure boats look at when choosing a favourite. Give me a Big Woolwich anyday !

Hi Phil I have to say yours and Richards paint was great and the boat was great not my cup of tea but great I did not look at the winning boat or some of the other wide beams why because in the wide beams case they did not look great fortunately beauty is in the eye of the beholder so we all like different things and that is the spice of life ps we are in a different class because we love Alfas clapping.gif

Peter

Hi Phil I have to say yours and Richards paint was great and the boat was great not my cup of tea but great I did not look at the winning boat or some of the other wide beams why because in the wide beams case they did not look great fortunately beauty is in the eye of the beholder so we all like different things and that is the spice of life ps we are in a different class because we love Alfas clapping.gif

Peter

Any chance of using punctuation? As you're not coming across as educated.

Edited by Northernboater

Peter

And the personality of the builder apparently wink.png

Shackleton is a 58ft Jonathan Wilson semi-trad (Josher style). I don't have a superhuman memory, I took a leaflet away with me ;)

She was beautiful, and the craftsmanship excellent (I didn't see Celtic Pride - bummer - anyone got photos?). The Shackleton team were lovely too (which does make a difference, doesn't it). She was not particularly to my taste (nor my budget), but I'd be surprised if may people weren't drawn in by her charms, and the enthusiasm of her team.

I liked her compact engine room set up, and that you could see it (I was surprised at how few exhibitors provide information/ the opportunity to see/ wanted to have a conversation about the mechanics of their offering - or maybe I just don't look like I'd understand any of it so they didn't take me seriously).

Any chance of using punctuation? As you're not coming across as educated.

Slight problem with my other computer I had a virus in it the other week and the shift keys don't work and full stops etc do whatever they feel like!! Really on laptop at work so all is ok.judge.gif

Peter

Slight problem with my other computer I had a virus in it the other week and the shift keys don't work and full stops etc do whatever they feel like!! Really on laptop at work so all is ok.judge.gif

Peter

Sorry no offence intended, but just had to read it a couple of times over to work out what you were saying.

Sorry no offence intended, but just had to read it a couple of times over to work out what you were saying.

Non taken I intend to set the computer back to a date when all was ok so keys etc should do what they say they do argue.gif instead of arguing

Peter

• 1 month later...

Here you go. I sold Richard's last boat for him - Wizard. That was a beauty too, 62ft tug on a Mel Davis shell. For those who not aware, he has been building boats for many years. I recently came across and sold one from 1991 when he traded as RS Narrowboats, so he's no Johnny-come-lately.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92591557@N02/14546210450/in/photostream/