Northern BCN Extremities Exposed

springy

Featured Posts

Road works have exposed remnants of the canal towpath (?) wall of almost the most northerly point

of the BCN.

http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/transport/staffshighways/roadworks/schemeinfo/cannock/A460-Eastern-Way.aspx

I haven't had chance to go and have a look yet, but will post pics when I can, anyone else local ? Tony K ?

cheers

springy

I have heard these works are part of A460 future improvements according to the Staffordshire Council Website they comprise:

A460 Eastern Way

The works will consist of the removal of poor quality ground material including the removal of an old canal and replaced with stronger suitable fill material in preparation for potential future carriageway widening on the A460 Eastern Way. The majority of the works will be off the highway. The location of the roadworks are from A460/A5190 Roundabout to the Hayes Way Roundabout

So part of the canal constructed by messr Chambers and Hilton will be now losr, maybe

Ray Shill

You may be interested to know that the lock pound below the top lock at Rumer Hill Jcn still exists as a ornamental pond, the canal passing the top lock is now a dirt road for vehicles filling the tip.

Further up the old approach road to Hednesford basins is still marked with a wavy anchor BW sign at the roadside entrance.

gallery_5000_522_38690.jpg

gallery_5000_522_149845.jpg

From Google Earth

Edited by Laurence Hogg

You may be interested to know that the lock pound below the top lock at Rumer Hill Jcn still exists as a ornamental pond, the canal passing the top lock is now a dirt road for vehicles filling the tip.

Further up the old approach road to Hednesford basins is still marked with a wavy anchor BW sign at the roadside entrance.

gallery_5000_522_38690.jpg

gallery_5000_522_149845.jpg

Ah - so thats where it is.... I was close but not close enough. Have driven past it dozens of times on my way out from Sainsburys.

From Google Earth

I have been told this evening that this has now been filled in again with some sort of road base material

A brief sighting, I dont know if they took any more out or have effectively simply covered over it again

springy

These are two pictures I took in the early 1970's approx. 1973, they show what good condition the canal was in and why the exposed brickwork seen recently was still good. It was a crime to cut this section off for the sake of one main road bridge needing to be rebuilt.

gallery_5000_522_24299.jpg

gallery_5000_522_138945.jpg

• 1 year later...

Churchbridge Locks - is anything left?

I have followed various comments online and blundered about in mud and brambles (and main roads) but did not achieve much.

Then I discovered the National Library of Scotland who offer "This application that allows a set of historical map overlays to be viewed (against current maps)". I have posted the results of my toil here http://www.thehodgkinsons.org.uk/wyrley-walk8.htm

The various ponds mentioned do not align and are also in the middle of the opencast mine workings.

If I have got this right I did it without leaving the front door and will carry on with the Cannock Extension......... unless someone can spot if I have got this wrong.

Churchbridge Locks - is anything left?

I have followed various comments online and blundered about in mud and brambles (and main roads) but did not achieve much.

Then I discovered the National Library of Scotland who offer "This application that allows a set of historical map overlays to be viewed (against current maps)". I have posted the results of my toil here http://www.thehodgkinsons.org.uk/wyrley-walk8.htm

The various ponds mentioned do not align and are also in the middle of the opencast mine workings.

If I have got this right I did it without leaving the front door and will carry on with the Cannock Extension......... unless someone can spot if I have got this wrong.

I think you are wrong on this, there are slight discrepancies with the NLS overlay in some areas. The straight section of canal that Rumer Hill Jcn was on was used as a road for some time and the towpath in places was visible, also the basin at the western end was traceable, the ornamental pond has been formed from what lay below lock one which still may be extant but buried.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

I think you are wrong on this, there are slight discrepancies with the NLS overlay in some areas. The straight section of canal that Rumer Hill Jcn was on was used as a road for some time and the towpath in places was visible, also the basin at the western end was traceable, the ornamental pond has been formed from what lay below lock one which still may be extant but buried.

Thanks for the information.

Other parts of the maps appear to match exactly with the remains - but I have only just started using these overlays.

As for the pond - I have wondered about it appearing to be at right angles to the line of the canal and the size of it (but I wasn't there at the time to see the remains).

So its a "work in progress" as far as I am concerned!