One Year On

Magic Potion

Featured Posts

This time last year I was on my way to collect my boat from brokerage to begin my life as a liveaboard.

What a year it has been! Weather was almost identical but with added strong winds, which meant getting out of the marina was fun ......

Since then I've faced the biggest learning curve ever. As a hirer, I didn't have to think of lot more than where I was going and where the water points were!

As a liveaboard, I have to think of a hell of a lot more.

In the last year, I've fallen in once, travelled a lot, fixed problems on the boat(with the help of at least one forum member) ...... travelled more, popped my banter cherry at Buckby, met some great forum members, made new friends, was part of the parade team at last years Braunston Rally ....... the list is long .....

All in all, I've not regretted a single moment. I can honestly say that it's the happiest I've been in years! I'm looking forward to what the next year brings now ........ New people to meet, a lot more cruising. Fixing my leaky windows and the annoying leak near my water pump will be first but I'll be smiling inside as I do it!

Thank you to all the members who answered my questions and gave advice. It was and still is much appreciated ..... see you out there sometime.

Ross

• Greenie 2

Hi Ross, great news, happy for you that the dream didn't turn into a nightmare. I well remember our first year and the trepidation of giving up bricks and mortar but that was 14 years ago and still loving it. May your joy continue.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

10 months for us, life's never been so simple, peaceful and pleasurable.

Thank you to all the members who answered my questions and gave advice. It was and still is much appreciated ..... see you out there sometime.

Seconded, this forum has been an invaluable resource over the years cheers.gif

Coming upto my first 12 months on board here too and feel exactly the same love it totaly the way of life, the people, etc etc Wouldnt entertain going back to bricks and mortar now.

Edited by single again

This time last year I was on my way to collect my boat from brokerage to begin my life as a liveaboard.

What a year it has been! Weather was almost identical but with added strong winds, which meant getting out of the marina was fun ......

Since then I've faced the biggest learning curve ever. As a hirer, I didn't have to think of lot more than where I was going and where the water points were!

As a liveaboard, I have to think of a hell of a lot more.

In the last year, I've fallen in once, travelled a lot, fixed problems on the boat(with the help of at least one forum member) ...... travelled more, popped my banter cherry at Buckby, met some great forum members, made new friends, was part of the parade team at last years Braunston Rally ....... the list is long .....

All in all, I've not regretted a single moment. I can honestly say that it's the happiest I've been in years! I'm looking forward to what the next year brings now ........ New people to meet, a lot more cruising. Fixing my leaky windows and the annoying leak near my water pump will be first but I'll be smiling inside as I do it!

Ross

I'm looking forward to making a similar post to this.

This time next year, glad your enjoying it

• 2 weeks later...

We cannot wait I really hope we are sorted by winter but. Waiting on sale of house,we know what we want my husband is planning the refit,which he will do himself he is a wood worker, sculptor etc, I have booked us onto crewing courses so the kids know what they are doing they might as well learn the right way being 12, 14,and 17 and for us to havea trading licence one of us needs to have done helmsmans so still knee deep in research

Coming up to 12 years for me. Perhaps I'm taking too much of it for granted but I don't see everything through quite the same rose tinted specs. Do people really live in this world where everything is wonderful and problems are just laughed away? Let's be honest, some bits of living on boats are great, while others can be a pain and I don't think there's anything wrong with getting pissed off with it sometimes. People deal with negative aspects of life in different ways. For me the positive aspects of living aboard vastly outweigh the negatives otherwise I wouldn't do it, but at the same time I prefer to recognise the negative aspects for what they are rather than deny them.

Edited by blackrose

Blackrose is right of course, living on a boat constantly presents you with er hiccups for want of a better word, its how we deal with them that makes us, if we fail to address problems and allow them to take control we lose. Rose tinted specs should be left in the bottom draw.

Phil