When bandits attack.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

I think it was only polite to return their lump hammer, It obviously slipped out of the other bloke's hand by mistake and would have been a grievous loss.

In terms of a 'proportionate' response I agree, lots of people would have hurled it back and with good aim.....

Carlt

Well done you,

Thank you.

I must have a different interpretation of violence, I thought a lump hammer through somone elses window might qualify, even if the act is threatened,let alone carried out, & irrelevant if done as a measured response as you say.

It was neither threatened, nor intended. Putting a lump hammer through a porthole is beyond my capabilities and it was a pure fluke.

I actually apologised for damaging their boat which is more than they did.

But hey as you know, I'm often wrong.

Indeed.

I think it was only polite to return their lump hammer, It obviously slipped out of the other bloke's hand by mistake and would have been a grievous loss.

When the folk on the UCC day boat which bounced off my boat at full speed chucked a rather nice, nearly full, bottle of wine at me as I remonstrated with them, I skillfully caught it, checked the label, took a swig and toasted the rest of their day.

There was no chance I was returning that particular projectile.

Well my rose colored glasses are well and truly shattered after reading this thread.

So far, we've had tales of Juvenal delinquents throwing projectiles from bridges, boaters throwing hammers & bottles of wine at other boaters. Add in the racing cyclists, non pooper scooping dog owners & the fishermen who throw maggots on boat roofs & all of a sudden city / village living isn't looking quite as bad.

So very glad we haven't experienced any of the above behaviors; well other than the cyclists and dog poo that is; both of which you come across in the cities as well.

Again to the OP - I hope your injuries heal quickly and do not cause you too much discomfort; and that the experience does not permanently mar your enjoyment of boating

Dog house where was your picture taken? I don't recognise that from my recent visit on the Caldon. We have visited this canal twice in the last 18 months and been ok both times. The last time ( this easter) we did moor overnight in Milton. This was against my wishes as i muttered to the other half about mooring at engine lock but we had no visitors of ny kind all night. This was main holiday time too. I am sorry to hear of the attack and hope MP heals soon and the mental scars heal over too.

Dog house where was your picture taken? I don't recognise that from my recent visit on the Caldon. We have visited this canal twice in the last 18 months and been ok both times. The last time ( this easter) we did moor overnight in Milton. This was against my wishes as i muttered to the other half about mooring at engine lock but we had no visitors of ny kind all night. This was main holiday time too. I am sorry to hear of the attack and hope MP heals soon and the mental scars heal over too.

I captioned it....

It's not on the Caldon. It's just up from the junction between the Trent and Mersey and the Caldon.

Good idea, But they would end up actually having the last laugh, as after a few days, when bits start to drop off, they might fall on boats, People, smash roof lights, especially if they happen to have a lump hammer in there pocket !

So we would be back to square one.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Apologies if this has already appeared elsewhere but I could not find a new topic which might include it.

Staffordshire Police

NEWS: Two men have been arrested following an incident in the Northwood area of Stoke-on-Trent this morning (Mon).

Officers were called to a stretch of the Caldon Canal between Northwood and Birches Head at approximately 8.50am, after receiving reports from members of the public that two people were at the location in possession of a firearm and taking shots.

As a result of the information received armed officers were deployed to the scene, with aerial support from the force helicopter.

Officers arrested two men, aged in their 20s, and they have been taken into custody for questioning.

A firearm, believed to be a long-barelled type weapon, was also recovered. This will now be subject to a detailed forensic examination.

No reports of any injuries have been received.

An investigation into the incident is now underway and anyone who witnessed the actions of the two men is asked to contact us if they havent already done so.

Please call us on 101 quoting incident number 164 of May 26, or independent charity, Crimestoppers, anonymously on 0800 555 111.

As a result of this mornings increased police activity in the area, local neighbourhood officers will be carrying out high visibility patrols throughout today to reassure the local community and respond to any concerns.

Probably shooting ducks. You see a lot of them in bits this time of year. Usually kids with air rifles. No indication they were shooting either boaters or scrotes. I shall proceed valiantly up the Caldon next Monday and disguise the fact that I am shivering with fear with a hearty blast on my trombone.

Actually, thinking about it, that's quite likely to get me shot at...

Firstly we have to say how sorry we are about this dreadful experience.

We were on this canal from the 7th may to the 17th may. and had a great time. However, we were told by Rob the Lock ( young bloke on a bike that helps on the locks) NOT to moor at Hanley Park, and to go as far as MILTON for the first night. I know this is feeble info now, after what has happend.

I am giving your info to friends of ours who will be exploring down there in a few weeks. If we were closer, we would be happy yo come and ride shotgun, could even bring our 12 year old pooch, but he would no help at all

Have you found our favourite mooring at Hazelhurst Locks. ??? X

Goodness me - that sounds just awful; more awful than an awful thing. I am so pleased you are OK and I do hope that these few days later is seeing you on the mend but what a nightmare! :(

I've only just had the chance to catch up on this and I'm also shocked. It must have been a dreadful experience, thank goodness you weren't hurt. I've had the same experience near Coventry, probably about 30 years ago but it still haunts me.

Now I find myself worrying because our usual overnight spot when heading that way, is about half a mile before that, between bridge 14 and the winding hole, and we've never had any problems there in at least half-a-dozen stops. So now do I add it to my mental list of no-go areas or carry on using it? I really don't know.

I do hope the experience won't stop you enjoying the rest of that beautiful canal!

What scares me is the fact that these assaults seem to happen at known locations but our men in blue seem unable, unwilling, incapable or whatever to do anything about it. Leaves me speechless and frightened regarding the direction law and order is taking.

I feel dreadfully sorry for the OP and hope recovery is swift. The numerous great parts of our waterways will help that recovery, of that I have no doubt.

All quiet on the Caldon at Etruria tonight. Even the tiny plastic boat behind me, who have been having a loud endless quarrel and playing loud music since I arrived at about 4ish had packed it in when I went out to The Holy Inadequate for a beer about 9.30pm. Their other neighbour left earlier this evening for the main line of the T&M!

Here for the Etruria Canal Festival this coming weekend. 7 historic boats here already, and boats others too. I've never had a problem here. Maybe it's safety in numbers.

James

How awful Moomin Papa - there's a drink for you on my boat if ever we cross paths! Hope your ok!??! We are off for a 3-weeker next week and I was considering either the Caldon, or just a 2-weeker down the South Oxford. Seems it'll be the latter. I really don't trust myself in situations like you encountered......empty brass cases everywhere!

Just a joke of course, but seriously hope your ok! We did have a similar (though nowhere near as bad) situation down the Staffs & Worcs about 4 years ago, just north of Stourport. 'Lads' of late teens, early twenties tramping on the cruiser stern, banging on the windows and throwing stones. We just threw the mooring pins back on, started the boat and floored it - pitch dark around 10pm. Got into Stourport and breasted up. What else can you do!??!

Edited by Orca

MP checking in. We're at Consall Forge which is really wonderful, but the land that mobile internet forgot. I'm sitting in the Black Lion with a netbook on the pub WiFi and a pint of Guinness. It's a hard life.

Failed to get to Froghall yesterday: ground to a halt on a bank of mud just after the station platform and made the snap decision to reverse back past the station and pub and do a dodgy wind in front of the weir, before another three boats set out and forced us to bowhaul over every mudbank between Consall and Froghall.

All feeling much better. We've had family visitors over the last few days, which has helped take our minds off things.

Cheers,

MP.

I'm talking to various people to put pressure on the powers-that-be, more news later if there is any.