When bandits attack.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

What an awful experience to have gone through. We've done the Caldon and beyond Engineers Lock it's lovely - I throughly recommend a visit to The Hollybush at Denford to settle your nerves :)

We were untied at Newark last weekend, nothing in comparison to what you've been through and I was still awake and so able to act fast and get re-tied quickly but it was a stark reminder of what other people think is a nights amusement vs . damage to property/risk to life!

Hope you have a peaceful nights sleep tonight.

The wife and I are off up there next week - I'll let you know if I survive. There used to be a bail hostel just up the bank from the staircase lock and you used to find some serious hard cases leaning on the gates. Must be said they were always very pleasant and interested in how the locks worked, just terrifying to look at. It's one of the few places that someone's tried to sell me some dope from the towpath as I chugged along, too. Admittedly i was much hairier in those days and probably looked a good customer. I never actually found out what he'd got.

We were there in April, spent the first night at the basin, stopped off between bridge 8 & 9 and visited the pottery there, then carried on and moored just below Hazelhust Locks.

Our biggest problem was 2 asian couples taking photo's of each other and they thought it a good shot to be standing on our boat!

Very sorry to hear about this. I found it frightening enough being bricked but not hit because on a NB you are a sitting target- can't leave fast, unlikely to be able to get off fast to deal with things.

I hope the police do something in the area- sounds like they possibly view the place as a no-go zone.

The wife and I are off up there next week - I'll let you know if I survive. There used to be a bail hostel just up the bank from the staircase lock and you used to find some serious harpd cases leaning on the gates. Must be said they were always very pleasant and interested in how the locks worked, just terrifying to look at. It's one of the few places that someone's tried to sell me some dope from the towpath as I chugged along, too. Admittedly i was much hairier in those days and probably looked a good customer. I never actually found out what he'd got.

Ditto. I've lead such a sheltered life I've only ever been offered drugs twice. Once was stoke top lock in pouring rain. Youth offered me omething to keep me warm, 'on that barge'.

Back to the op. Hope you are managing to enjoy rest of caldon. Have you managed to sort broken windows? Not sure how you go about that.

Ditto. I've lead such a sheltered life I've only ever been offered drugs twice. Once was stoke top lock in pouring rain. Youth offered me omething to keep me warm, 'on that barge'.

I don't think he was offering you drugs...

As you have no evidence to support your accusations that's probably for the best.

Accusations? I made no accusations. To accuse someone of something I think you first need to name an individual or individuals. You can say I made an assertion, but not an accusation. I think you take things far too seriously, I merely offered an opinion. This is a virtual pub on an boat-based internet forum. It's not an academic debate where we are obligated to provide evidence and references to support our posts. I don't have time to trawl through the archives to find the posts, but most reasonable people here will have read the sorts views I commented on, in which victims are blamed and perpetrators are pitied. Those views are out there both on this forum and in society in general and I'm afraid your denial doesn't change that.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 4

most reasonable people here will have read the sorts views I commented on, in which victims are blamed and perpetrators are pitied. Those views are out there both on this forum and in society in general

Well I don't remember any such views. Lots of posts saying 'the yob-sympathisers will be along in a moment' sort of thing, but they never come. Lots of posts advising or describing how possibly threatening yoofs can be got onside, but that's not the same thing.

I would be interested to hear if anyone can actually can dig up any posts such as you describe, and who expressed them.

I don't think the views you describe are found in society in general, either - the vast majority of people want antisocial behaviour to be punished more severely than it is.

Hi ya MOC.

I sort of get what BR is referring to, and have to be honest, in the darkest recesses of my mind can recall,,,I don't want to say Defending,,, as that's maybe to strong a word, but certainly Sympathetic to the actions of some people that have committed offences that has left me gobsmacked. A lad repeatedly caught for breaking into numerous Boats on the Canal a few months back,comes to mind, but can't find it. Just one example.

But true to form,, I can't quickly find any examples. So probably a bit of a pointless post really. But hey,

Consider writing to Stoke City Council detailing your experience and your disappointment that this incident ruined your visit to their area and that you have shared your views with this site All local authorities are keen to encourage local trade even if it is only a visit to the shop or pub. Mention the police view of the estate ie feral. This implies the police have almost given up. The city fathers will not like a bad reputation to develop further.

I had a bad incident in Burnley a while ago and wrote to the local council. I got a sympathetic reply and accepting that a few idiots can cause longstanding damage to the reputation of an area. There was also an assurance they would be putting pressure on the police to increase the PCSO patrols. (local authorities part fund these posts) The patrols were increased (guys on bikes). This was a couple of years ago so I don't know if the patrols have been sustained.

Hi ya MOC.

I sort of get what BR is referring to, and have to be honest, in the darkest recesses of my mind can recall,,,I don't want to say Defending,,, as that's maybe to strong a word, but certainly Sympathetic to the actions of some people that have committed offences that has left me gobsmacked. A lad repeatedly caught for breaking into numerous Boats on the Canal a few months back,comes to mind, but can't find it. Just one example.

But true to form,, I can't quickly find any examples. So probably a bit of a pointless post really. But hey,

I too recall posts about extending some understanding of the motives behind why somebody may break into boats and stealing because I believe I will have been one of the posters who very well suggested things might not all be what it appears.

We are however talking two different scenarios here, stealing because you may be desperate for food/money or to satisfy some form of addiction that you are trying to extricate yourself from is different from pelting a boat and it's owner with ammo big enough to cause physical damage to the boat and the boater.

That is just mindless, pointless thuggery, they gain nothing from it other than some sick satisfaction from causing distress and damage.

Well I don't remember any such views. Lots of posts saying 'the yob-sympathisers will be along in a moment' sort of thing, but they never come. Lots of posts advising or describing how possibly threatening yoofs can be got onside, but that's not the same thing.

I would be interested to hear if anyone can actually can dig up any posts such as you describe, and who expressed them.

I don't think the views you describe are found in society in general, either - the vast majority of people want antisocial behaviour to be punished more severely than it is.

Well, I'm not as skilled at digging up old posts as others, but I know what I've read and I've certainly seen those views expressed on this forum before. However, perhaps we just have a different interpretation of what has been expressed.

I can remember one particular thread where the OP said he'd challenged some youths who were messing about and vandalising an unoccupied moored boat (I think it was one of his neighbour's boats), and the youths turned on him. In that case I think a few things were thrown at him including a lot of verbal abuse. Some of those responding said it was his fault for the way in which he'd approached the youths. He'd obviously had a bad experience but some people seemed to want to blame him and give more understanding to the youths. Getting them onside is fine as a strategy for pre-empting negative behaviour but those type of responses are often more concerned about the perpetrators and sometimes don't show much empathy for the victim.

You're right that most people want anti-social behaviour to be punished more severely, but that doesn't preclude the opposite views being found quite generally in society too. Fortunately they're not a majority opinion, but they do exist because some of us have seen them and we won't be gagged by the political correctness that says they don't exist.

Edited by blackrose

Yes, totally understand DH,

But there is also Physical Damage to Both Person & Property, & ofcourse Emotional damage to the victims as a result of the crime.

Whatever the reason is, it shouldnt excuse the act of the crime in the fist place. (Imo).

Four and a half years for Boat Burglar in General Boating Oct 28th ish .

sorry can't do a Linky to it for some reason. But 'Sort of' demonstrates a point, if you can be bothers to sift through it all.

Yes, totally understand DH,

But there is also Physical Damage to Both Person & Property, & ofcourse Emotional damage to the victims as a result of the crime.

Whatever the reason is, it shouldnt excuse the act of the crime in the fist place. (Imo).

Four and a half years for Boat Burglar in General Boating Oct 28th ish .

sorry can't do a Linky to it for some reason. But 'Sort of' demonstrates a point, if you can be bothers to sift through it all.

Found it.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61291&hl=burglar

Consider writing to Stoke City Council detailing your experience and your disappointment that this incident ruined your visit to their area and that you have shared your views with this site All local authorities are keen to encourage local trade even if it is only a visit to the shop or pub. Mention the police view of the estate ie feral. This implies the police have almost given up. The city fathers will not like a bad reputation to develop further.

I had a bad incident in Burnley a while ago and wrote to the local council. I got a sympathetic reply and accepting that a few idiots can cause longstanding damage to the reputation of an area. There was also an assurance they would be putting pressure on the police to increase the PCSO patrols. (local authorities part fund these posts) The patrols were increased (guys on bikes). This was a couple of years ago so I don't know if the patrols have been sustained.

This is probably the best advice on this thread! If I were the OP I'd start a "stay away from nameofvillage" thread and hope that lots of people on the forum jumped in and said how they have changed their cruising plans to avoid the area. I'd then compose a polite but firm letter to the council, with links to your internet posts, explaining how you were going to make it your mission to post on every travel and boating forum on the internet exactly what a dangerous place nameofvillage is. I would then send the letter to the town council, the owners of any local pubs and markets and the local newspaper.

Make people in nameofvillage aware that the action of their scrotes is not only affecting their tourist trade, but also their individual property values vis-a-vis their new found infamy and chances are you'll get some action in the form of increased police protection along the trouble spots.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and there's nothing squeakier than making people think they'll suffer financially.

I too recall posts about extending some understanding of the motives behind why somebody may break into boats and stealing because I believe I will have been one of the posters who very well suggested things might not all be what it appears.

We are however talking two different scenarios here, stealing because you may be desperate for food/money or to satisfy some form of addiction that you are trying to extricate yourself from is different from pelting a boat and it's owner with ammo big enough to cause physical damage to the boat and the boater.

That is just mindless, pointless thuggery, they gain nothing from it other than some sick satisfaction from causing distress and damage.

Exactly my take on it. I understand (but don't condone) why people steal, especially out of desperation. But this mindless and pointless thuggery such as bricking boats and their occupants, damaging locks, emptying canals (see recent Wigan problems) and torching brand new NB's near my home recently. And why? because they fu**ing well can. Poor upbringing and suchlike is a copout; loads of my school/work mates, and kids that I helped to educate in later life lived in poverty but wouldn't behave in this manner.

Edited by Guest