And another thing. Slowing down.

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

The problem I tend to get passing moored boats is that I slow down well before I get to them.

As the mistake a lot of people make is to listen for the tone of the engine to judge if the passing boat has slowed down.

They hear no change because I am already going at tick over when I reach them so they hear no change in engine tone and just assume I've not slowed down.

If you take the last three letters off assume what you have left is what you make yourself

On the Middlewich Arm this week "passing slowly makes you a masterboater otherwise you are a mastabater" didn't see these at Crick

I still find such signs offensive, especially on boats which might as well be craned onto the bank for all the cruising they do.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 3

Passing through the GU from Debdale to kings cross, I noticed a silly little sign that now adorns lots if boats who's owners must have been to Crick show.

A magnetic A5 white sign with red circle warning sign with TICK OVER through the middle.....proudly stuck to the sides of their boats. By the time you read it, oops, bit too late.

I noticed a proliferation of these on our way back from the BCN Challenge. They came across as unnecessarily aggressive to me and just made me want to speed up (didn't though, just passed at normal passing speed, just above tickover).

Several boats we passed had ropes so slack they were hanging in the water and surged back and forth with a huge clang against the pilings even though we slowed right down and I have to say most of these were private boats.

In all the years I've been boating I've never had anything knocked over or spilled inside whilst moored due to passing boats neither have I ever had mooring pins pulled out.

• Greenie 1

In all the years I've been boating I've never had anything knocked over or spilled inside whilst moored due to passing boats neither have I ever had mooring pins pulled out.

Me neither. How about a sign that says "The owner of this boat has moored it securely and competently, cruise on".

Me neither. How about a sign that says "The owner of this boat has moored it securely and competently, cruise on".

Yes, abserbloody-lutely. Hows about a campaign to remind people that canals are for cruising not the proliferation of linear housing estates.

• Greenie 2

Just joined this forum and love reading all your stroppy posts clapping.gif Only had our boat since July last year and before that had many happy holidays on the Norfolk Broads so would consider myself definitely of the ignorant, not arrogant type despite having a private boat now. Although we do slow down when going past moored boats and we haven't had any problems while moored up, so we must be doing something right boat.gif